Book for my grandfather to learn pc basics

dafreaking

Skilled
So in his quest for being independent as far as his computers are concerned my grandfather has decided to "learn computers" and has asked me to recommend a book to him. Any suggestions? Will order from Flipkart or Amazon.

Instead of books why not you teach him practically, wont that be some fun learning. Esp considering his age it will induce more interest and past his time in best way.

Instead of books why not you teach him practically, wont that be some fun learning. Esp considering his age it will induce more interest and past his time in best way.

Not an option. We live in different cities. He wants to learn the basics and internet so he can stay in touch with his emails and internet banking.

can he open a browser? if so, udemy has some video course on basics of computers for senior people. Weirdly it has a course on opening browsers too. I suppose you could make him install the udemy app on his android phone or tablet (if he has one) and then view the course on it if he does not know anything about computers.

can he open a browser? if so, udemy has some video course on basics of computers for senior people. Weirdly it has a course on opening browsers too. I suppose you could make him install the udemy app on his android phone or tablet (if he has one) and then view the course on it if he does not know anything about computers.

I don't think so. We are probably getting him a new phone too. Had given him an android tablet earlier but after it stopped functioning he kinda lost interest.

Not what you asked for (i.e., book recommendation) but if you can get him to open his computer and connect to the internet, then you can always use software like TeamViewer and control his computer and then teach him whatever he wants to know. Also gives a bit of a personal touch to the whole process :)

I did this with my mother : All she knew about computers was to pull the power chord if she felt I had slept without switching it off myself - she figured it was like switching off the TV :p (RIP my movie downloads).

When I was away, I called her up and asked her to switch on the computer, connect to internet (thankfully modem etc was already set up), open up a browser, download TeamViewer and read out her computer ID and password (the one for TeamViewer). Once she did this, I went about teaching her how to do various basic tasks (browsing, checking email, video chat/skype, reading newspapers etc)

Took a few hour long phone calls, but now she can function on her own - the entire process and her current self sufficiency makes me feel so much better :)

I would actually love to be there in person to teach him the basics but it just isn't feasible at the moment. I think the best thing to do at the moment is probably be there the first 2 times and then get him a book. Then he can watch videos, etc if he needs to go more "in-depth". He still insists on the book though.

Windows 10 simplified This has colour images and Kindle edition too for download. Text size is small, but if you install it on a tablet, he can easily zoom using pinch to zoom. The paperback version is imported from USA but its money worth spent if your grandfather wants to hold a physical book.

Windows 10 simplified This has colour images and Kindle edition too for download. Text size is small, but if you install it on a tablet, he can easily zoom using pinch to zoom. The paperback version is imported from USA but its money worth spent if your grandfather wants to hold a physical book.

Thanks for this suggestion. The other option I had in mind was this series. http://www.amazon.in/Computer-Basic...&sr=8-16&keywords=computers+absolute+beginner
I just realised that I need to wait to see what OS he gets before I can recommend a book. I guess it's a toss-up between 8 and 10

Back