Boom Shiva Part IV

superczar

Skilled
Hehe,

Milady and I just bought a White Swift...got the delivery Thursday evening and was dying to get the Audio setup completed

The idea was to get an audio setup with maximum clarity, despite the poor accoustics in a car

The last thing we wanted to do was to blow up tonnes of money to get ourselves a boomy boombox the kinds that you see at Marina beach @ night or on MG road in gurgaon or ( I presume Marine drive in Mumbai)...the kind of cars that make you wonder how someone could be sitting inside with all that din....

Here's what we got

Rear Ovals: Infinity Reference series - 9623i

The infinity reference series is the reference series for cars to the JBL lineup

REF9613I.jpg

Front speakers:

Infinity Reference 6012

REF6012SI.jpg

Headunit: Though the standard recommendation on team-bhp was the Pioneer 9850 (?)

this is one surprising thing we discovered, all the Pioneer HUs have the same soundstage consisting of MOSFET driven 50X4 channels

Since we had absolutely no interest in an all singing-all dancing multi segment OLED display or Bluetooth support or USB support or heck, dishwashing capabilities, we chose the poorer cousin, Pioneer 2950...

same soundstage and amplifier..but absolutely no frills (single line display and a plain jane though much needed front Aux-In) Headunit

Given the fact that I anyway switch off the display on my Corsa's HU while driving ( I find the glow distracting), we decided that the best option would be to not scrounge on the speakers and thereby not compromise on the SQ...

So the final HU was the Pioneer 2950 :)

As for the Sound quality....

Let me just say this...

I've seen collegaues spend nearly twice , even more the amount on their Car ICE but the final results were nowhere close to this....

Frankly, I hadn't expected the audio SQ in a car to be anywhere as close to what this setup is delivering ....

Pictures to follow :)

^ Umm nice, what's the Reference series priced at.

I picked up this for my new Verna :

HU - Pioneer 6950

Rear - 6x9" JBL GTO937

Front - 5 1/4" Coustic

Totalled at 15k.

great buy, those are dam good speakers. good to see people spend money on speakers and not of the head unit , i know people who get a dvd player in the car with sony speakers !!!! lolz

superczar said:
4.2K for the Pioneer

~13K for the speakers

No Amp coz the pioneer MOSFET drive is more than good unless you need a sub

the so called MOSFET amp will deliver max 15-18 watts RMS max at 10% THD figures........So I dont consider it as more than good option.....

PS:- I am planning to run my tweeter only (yes tweeter only) with real 80 watts rms power with 0.003 % THD with HPF enabled at approx 4khz.........:cool2:

low_bass_makker said:
the so called MOSFET amp will deliver max 15-18 watts RMS max at 10% THD figures........So I dont consider it as more than good option.....

PS:- I am planning to run my tweeter only (yes tweeter only) with real 80 watts rms power with 0.003 % THD with HPF enabled at approx 4khz.........:cool2:

15-20W is more than enough power if you have highly sensitive speakers. Ever heard the klipsch horns? 98dB sensitivity.... even 5W of power will make them insanely loud. Even my 89dB floorstanders are driven by a 50W amp and I'm scared to go past 1/3rd of the maximum level as it becomes ridiculously loud. The basic idea of good sound reproduction is that the volume must be levelled to the same as what it was in the studio when recording. Putting an 80W amp for tweeters is lame as HF in music typically has less than 1% of the energy of the sound signal. Going by this analogy, you'd have to put a few thousand watt of power into the low frequency spectrum to make the system balanced. Needless to say such amps don't exist :p.

low_bass_makker said:
Which tweeter :O ?

80W RMS on a tweeter, is the sensitivity 5 db/w/m ?

Chaos said:
15-20W is more than enough power if you have highly sensitive speakers. Ever heard the klipsch horns? 98dB sensitivity.... even 5W of power will make them insanely loud. Even my 89dB floorstanders are driven by a 50W amp and I'm scared to go past 1/3rd of the maximum level as it becomes ridiculously loud. The basic idea of good sound reproduction is that the volume must be levelled to the same as what it was in the studio when recording. Putting an 80W amp for tweeters is lame as HF in music typically has less than 1% of the energy of the sound signal. Going by this analogy, you'd have to put a few thousand watt of power into the low frequency spectrum to make the system balanced. Needless to say such amps don't exist :p.

I think we need to open up a new thread related to audio where we can discuss the never ending discussion.......:eek:hyeah:

Do you ever heard the term HEADROOM....if not then there is no use to discuss this topic further about powering the tweeter with a 80 watts amp.....and I dont think you have a little bit Idea about car audio.....and have you ever heard to horns which have a sensitivity of just 106 db....with which you can get so loud and I mean loud with just 15 watts....

And I also fear that your threshold of hearing is quite low......that you get fears with less than 50 watts......

and I am out of this discussion as I think it is OFF-TOPIC>>>>>>>>>

low_bass_makker said:
Do you ever heard the term HEADROOM....if not then there is no use to discuss this topic further about powering the tweeter with a 80 watts amp.....and I dont think you have a little bit Idea about car audio.....and have you ever heard to horns which have a sensitivity of just 106 db....with which you can get so loud and I mean loud with just 15 watts....

Whats the point of headroom when its never going to be used :p. Instead of a lame 80W amp, its much more beneficial to put a highly resolving 10W amp. As I said, sensitivity can be anything... concert speakers have sensitivity in the 110dB/W/m range cos they need to be loud at what cost? Accuracy :p.

And I also fear that your threshold of hearing is quite low......that you get fears with less than 50 watts......

and I am out of this discussion as I think it is OFF-TOPIC>>>>>>>>>

This is definitely not off topic as this is a car audio thread... 50W in 8 ohm is a hell of lot of power... Looks like all your equipment is super overrated :p. Everyone knows the kinda companies that overrate power... well they are the ones who are after the wannabes.

Chaos said:
Whats the point of headroom when its never going to be used :p. Instead of a lame 80W amp, its much more beneficial to put a highly resolving 10W amp. As I said, sensitivity can be anything... concert speakers have sensitivity in the 110dB/W/m range cos they need to be loud at what cost? Accuracy :p.

This is definitely not off topic as this is a car audio thread... 50W in 8 ohm is a hell of lot of power... Looks like all your equipment is super overrated :p. Everyone knows the kinda companies that overrate power... well they are the ones who are after the wannabes.

we are talking car audio...not home or concert......

If you dont know about something it is normal to ask for excuses or stupid answers.....:bleh:

I never that a 50 watts in 8 ohms is lots of power......also we are keep the speakers on our book shelp not on our head (then 50 watts would be a lots of it).....also if 50 watts is enough power then why people go and put a amp in there car....so they can only show-off as there wannabes........:tongue:

what will you call this owner of car who has won several competitions and is respected man of the car audio community as a joker...... as he is using 150 watts on the tweeter 150 on the midrange and 150 on the midbass.......

41200415337.jpg

Those 50W MOSFETs should actually deliver 20W per channel I suppose.....

Anyway, I presume the speakers are fairly sensitive as every note seems perfectly clear at low to mid volumes...

The system runs out of breath (starts sounding muddy) at high volumes given the limited power delivery of the HU amp and the higher harmonic distortions at high vol. but I ain't complaining coz i doubt if this system will ever be played at more than 25% of the volume....

My requirements were fairly clear...I needed a setup that delivers the max possible clarity on low volumes and I had no intention of overspending on the system

I can never imagine myself (or the lady) to drive around with the audio spilling outside the vehicle ...the only time i play audio loud (moderately) is when I have friends over at home on a weekend night

on a side note, thats the reason why I wouldn't install a sub in the car even if i were gettting it for free :p

200mph said:
LBM i think you can spread some teambhp knowledge here also

Sir I am here to share but some think my thoughts are useless as they dont know what I am talking about or they dont know a thing about it........in that case I fear I might not be liked here or my comments either.......:)

superczar said:
Those 50W MOSFETs should actually deliver 20W per channel I suppose.....

Anyway, I presume the speakers are fairly sensitive as every note seems perfectly clear at low to mid volumes...

The system runs out of breath (starts sounding muddy) at high volumes given the limited power delivery of the HU amp but I ain't complaining coz i doubt if this system will ever be played at more than 25% of the volume....

My requirements were fairly clear...I needed a setup that delivers the max possible clarity on low volumes and I had no intention of overspending on the system

I can never imagine myself (or the lady) to drive around with the audio spilling outside the vehicle

on a side note, thats the reason why I wouldn't install a sub in the car even if i were gettting it for free :p

Good answer....one thing I wanna say here is that it all depends on the requirement not for the sake of spending money....If a thing is required then it should be there but if it is not then the money spend is useless and waste...........

one thing I wanna say here is that it all depends on the requirement not for the sake of spending money....If a thing is required then it should be there but if it is not then the money spend is useless and waste......

hey, but I too feel that 80W true RMS pumped into tweeters thru the HFP is unwarranted and amounts to spending money just for the sake of spending....

If someone else has done it doesn't mean you should follow suit...especially given the fact that it logically makes no sense...

Also, an amp delivering 80 W at THD figures of 0.003% (real figures) would be insanely expensive

superczar said:
hey, but I too feel that 80W true RMS pumped into tweeters thru the HFP is unwarranted and amounts to spending money just for the sake of spending....

If someone else has done it doesn't mean you should follow suit...especially given the fact that it logically makes no sense...

Also, an amp delivering 80 W at THD figures of 0.003% (real figures) would be insanely expensive

Ya it is but the results are amazing.....here is the amp I am using for the tweeters and the midrange....

Steg-America

k4_01.jpg

Back