Bootmgr is compressed

Hi fellas i upgraded my pc recently so i installed vista ultimate and when i was installing GTA 4 i needed to upgrade my vista to sp1 so i did it bt when i restarted and checked my activation was not done.So i installed activation and restarted i got error at the post as "Bootmgr is compressed Press CTRL Alt Delete to restart".I restart and same thing happens.My board is gigabyte Ep-31 Ds3l and i cant go into safe mode by hitting F8 .I feel my boot manager is corrupted and i need to back up my files in my C drive how 2 fix my boot mgr any help guys ???

i used to get the same message randomly and then ended up with reinsalling my Os.

You can do one thing..insert a bootable disk and restart ur pc and when it asks u too press a key to boot from dvd/cd dont press anything let it boot and hopefully ull get into windows.

i Don think that ll work as if it worked then it would hav booted normally and i cant even go 2 safe mode or command prompt i can copy files thru command prompt atleast...

i used to get a msg bootmgr file missing press ctrl alt delete and even after doing that i wud get the same msg again and again..so i just tried the above and it got me into windows.

I think your bootmgr file(s) are compressed with ntfs compression.

Use some live cd or even the bootup disk,un-compress the bootmgr.

From vista boot dvd,goto repair (or whatever its name was),then go into command prompt, Then try fixboot .You should be able to boot to vista after.

Exactly, the repair option in the Vista DVD will resolve the boot problem.

I am just wondering how the boot manager got compressed.
Never compress ur local drive using NTFS compression. Did u try this before the boot issue?

clown_abhi said:
Exactly, the repair option in the Vista DVD will resolve the boot problem.

I am just wondering how the boot manager got compressed. Never compress ur local drive using NTFS compression. Did u try this before the boot issue?
i updated to vista sp1 and activation was gone.. so i installed the activator which needed restart and that shit did al this ...compressed my boot mgr..i ll go home tom and do a repair and check hope i don need to install again hate tehn i need to install gta 4 again...pita..:no: :mad:

I kept getting that message when i was trying to dual boot xp sp3 & vista sp1.

The short term corrective action is:
- boot thru ur vista dvd
- get to the command prompt screen
- type "bootrec /fixboot" and then "bootrec /fixmbr"
- exit & restart

it fixed it for me for a couple of boots then it was the same 'ol story.

So i just hid the XP HDD in Bios, re-installed vista in the other drive. now there are no more bootmgr errors

on the flipside, i don't get the xp boot option either :huh:

Code:
expand bootmgr temp
attrib bootmgr -s -r -h
del bootmgr
ren temp bootmgr
attrib bootmgr -a +s +r +h

i am gonna try this today ....did some googlin and got this...

a=archive
s=system
r=read only
h=hidden

the above code worked for me bt took time to get repair screen as teh system was freezed then gav this code in cmd prompt...restaart and worked...Thanks to all u gav suggestions...others havin the same prob use this code...

Back