Bootup Woes [Frustrating]

IceFusion

Skilled
This has started happenning from the past 3-4 days...

I installed quicktime 7 and then restarted my PC....after i restarted everything worked fine....windows booted up i logged into my account...

As soon as every startup item got loaded i noticed the harddisk activity didnt stop..it continued for sm while..then it stopped and the floppy disk light came on as if searching for a floopy....while the light was on the harddisk activity restarted and after 5 seconds the whole PC freezed...mouse keyboard everything...windows XP got hanged ....harddisk activity light stayed on didnt blink at all....

i restarted again and it wrked fine...

but now from yesterday....it has started to hang after every restart....7\10 times it would hang and i am getting rather frustrated..i uninstalled quicktime but didnt help i just cant understand y is this happenning.....
I had formatted my C: and installed winxp just 2 weeks ago...
I have done a complete virus check using kaspersky latest defiantions but it didnt find anything...
HELP :huh:

Check whats there in ur startup scripts. Check for any malware thats present and remove it. You can find it in the registry in these locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

BTW i hope u know... regedit is the command to see the contents of the registry :)

there is nothing suspicious in my startup script...there is kaspersky,ATI driver,Soundmax driver,Bandwidth monitor,StyleXP and Powerstrip and microsoft antispyware....thats it...

and now a new trouble is coming up...at times when PC runs without getting hanged its hanging in between while watching movie :S or dloading files...

No spyware detected either...

Can this be a hardware related fault?

1.It could be aa power problem that might have occured while moving the comp or some voltage/power problems.try exchanging the power chords,and notice if any differnce.

2.As for the floppy,if it's always on(glowing) the ribbon cable is backward, flip the end over that is connected to the drive.also try removing it rom device manager and try.If problems still persists,continue with the following methods.

3..Disable active desktop .Trojans expliting com vulnerabilites in it,have shown similiar hanging and light blinking symptoms.

4..But im suspecting it might be a even worse situaion and that ur computer wont last more than 100 restarts ,since it could be a weird flavour of a boot sector virus developing Such as the following Int-CE virus.http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_98038.htm.which is why ,again try removing the floppy from device manager if u havnt.
...This boot sector virus infects the boots sectors of floppies and uses so-called self-partitioning method of infection of the hard disk...

...When the machine is booted the virus goes resident and will infect any floppy disk accessed.

...The virus does not install its full image in memory (as boot sector viruses usually do) - it writes just 56 bytes to the interrupts vector table (taking space from 0:300 to 0:33c) ...

...Int-CE has an extremely nasty payload. When the virus infects the HDD it sets the counter to 120 (decimal). Upon each reboot the counter is decreased. When it reaches zero the virus destroys many sectors on a HDD at random locations....

...Usually immediately after the payload triggered the system becomes unbootable with plenty of files corrupted...

Removal of Int-CE
Find the removal tool for Int-CE (scroll down to find it). And hey everyone,you all might wanna bookmark this page ! Real helpful list of free virus removal tools from f-secure.

If the problem still persists,search around for other such boot virus.

Thnx man bosky,,,,i feared the worst and took the virus thingy..but it didnt detect anything...
MY active desktop is already disbaled..

floppy light isnt always on..it glows when the pc boots up into windows and everything has loaded up...

SO this leaves me with only the voltage trouble....How do i find if smthing is wrong with the SMPS?

IceFusion said:
Thnx man bosky,,,,i feared the worst and took the virus thingy..but it didnt detect anything...
MY active desktop is already disbaled..

floppy light isnt always on..it glows when the pc boots up into windows and everything has loaded up...

SO this leaves me with only the voltage trouble....How do i find if smthing is wrong with the SMPS?
What are your PSU voltages like? Looks like this is some hardware problem.

well u can do this: when the System boots n the drive is being accessed, just use ctrl+alt+del and go to the processes tab in the task manager, there u can figure out which is the process causing the disk seek as the cpu usage and mem usage must be
relatively high for that program, then you may at your discretion , remove the program......

hope it helps.

nopes no use.....cpu usage and mem usage is normal during the time the harddisk is being used....only the harddisk keeps going on and on......now its getting bad...it just keeps on hanging again and again...

:(

1. Does it do all this if u boot into safemode?
2. Download filemon from sysinternal's website (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html) and see if u can find out which program is accessing the hdd. Put a shortcut on the desktop, and start it up as soon as windows starts (if there is time). See which programs access the hdd. If apart from the system programs (explorer, csrss etc) there are others, then perhaps they are responsible.

Back