Audio Bought Logitech Z506 .. problem,,

Bought Z506 5.1 Speakers.. but.. . very little sound from the rear speakers.. the front/ center/ are ok.. but problm is Rear speakers.. i am really frustrated . as i have some HD movies with 5.1 audio but.. its of no use.. as rear spekaers.. no function.. Plz tell how. to.. increase the volume of rear speakers.. ....will buying Audio Card help.. . my signature has my PC configuration..

This was exactly the problem I was referring to, in another thread wherein the OP was looking for a 5.1 system! :)

In your case, you might have connected the 3 TRS jacks (orange, green & black) to the ports on your motherboard's rear I/O panel and you expect to hear proper 5.1 surround but that wouldn't happen since your motherboard's audio chip doesn't support Dolby D/DTS decoding and you require an external decoder or a sound card that does that.

The best and probably the cheapest solution at the moment is to get yourself the external decoder that retails on Dealextreme for ~50 USD and connect your system to this decoder via toslink (optical out - notice that sqaure'ish grey port at the motherboard's rear I/O panel) and the speakers to the decoder.

Link - $53.60 - 5.1-Channel DTS/AC-3 Home Theater Audio Decoder - AV Equipment

Review of that decoder - HD Audio Rush 5.1 Decoder Review

My Mobo .is ASUS IP35E.. and it supports.. 7.1 channel audio system.. do i still nedd to go for the audio decoder???Any cheap reliable sound card.. which does the decodding part//?

Might have to look up which entry level sound card support Dolby D/DTS decoding but I am sure it will set you back by almost the same amount as that of the external decoder.

my mobo.. has.. S/PDIF connection but i think the speaker does not have the optical connection.. so.. is there any way to connect through the mobo optical S/PDIF connection to speaker.. which cable to buy.. will it help in getting 5.1 sound..?

but in stereo only two ports are there and 4 wires for.. front right/centre/rear left /rear rigt.... how to fit them in 2 stereo ports..??

Cant the ports be assigned?
Because in my g31 the configuration can be assigned for them to be in front or rear speakers.
I have a 4.1 speaker set and have configured them in stereo and assigned for both front and rear satellites as front speakers.
This way i get equal sound output across all satellites.

terminater said:
my mobo.. has.. S/PDIF connection but i think the speaker does not have the optical connection.. so.. is there any way to connect through the mobo optical S/PDIF connection to speaker.. which cable to buy.. will it help in getting 5.1 sound..?
Yes your speaker doesn't have the toslink/optical in port. There is no way to connect the spdif cable from your system to your speakers unless you have the decoder I was referring to.

If you are getting sound from the rear speakers, but it's just low, then open your speaker properties, and configure the volume.

If you're not getting the sound in movies, then download the ac3 codec and adjust the speaker output and decoder functions.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also, have you configured your speakers as 5.1 in windows?

See if using MPC-HC and AC3filter works for you? You might need to tweak with the output (disable other decoding first) in the filter options.

You do not need a new sound card or a decoder, your current set up can play 5.1 sound. You just need to play your files in a media player like VLC media player which can decode 5.1 audio.

I would suggest you to try playing your 5.1 media files in VLC media player, if you don't get 5.1 audio output then go the "Audio" menu in VLC player and set "Audio device" as 5.1. You should get 5.1 audio with VLC player if all the wires are hooked up right. Good luck !! :hap2:

i have tried that.. using VLC player.. but the problem is rear speakers... one sound is low.. and the other rear speakers sound is almost.. zero.. . even with Media player class ic and AC3 codec.. i am getting rear sound in one rear speakers.. but not in other. sound is very very low..

8jP89.jpg

check the image here

in inputs connect an RCA connector to stereo inputs

ggt's idea of connecting an RCA cable to the RCA stereo inputs is a good one. Hook up a source like a TV or DVD player which has stereo RCA ouputs to your speaker and check if the surround speakers work.

terminater said:
i have tried that.. using VLC player.. but the problem is rear speakers... one sound is low.. and the other rear speakers sound is almost.. zero.. . even with Media player class ic and AC3 codec.. i am getting rear sound in one rear speakers.. but not in other. sound is very very low..

Pretty obvious you wouldn't get it. What happens when you do so is merely pseudo 5.1. Essentially the stereo is converted to pseudo surround and the rear/center channel reproduces a faint/feeble sound.

^^ The video file may have a 5.1 dolby digital track, but there must be something in between to decode the dolby digital signal into analog 5.1 required by your speakers.

Back