Graphic Cards Bought new XFX 9600GT, having issues

That PSU is more than enuf for a 9600GT low power edition card, as the same PSU is powering my 4870.

That card is an nvidia green edition one, which is 55nm and consumes much less power than older 9600GT.

Update the nvidia forceware and try. Also remove and proccy OC, if any.

You can also check GPU temps while gaming, using rivatuner.

If the card requires a 6 pin power connector, it should have a provision. just plug a 6 pin power cable from your PSU to that place. If your PSU doesn't come with a 6 pin PCIE power connector, then use a 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIE connector. Usually 1 is supplied with the cards requiring extra power. Otherwise grab one from the market, doesn't cost more.

usually the 9600GT Green is the one which dun require extra power. 65nm ones do need extra power.

has XFX messed up things?

btw, does ur mobo has a molex in just above the PCIE 16X slot? if there is any, then it s for powering the slot exclusively.

Some mobo has that slot, and needs to be connected if using a Gcard which needs too much power from the X16 interface [greater than 75W].

Why jumping to PSU directly ? First check physical memory for errors and HDD for bad sectors.Check system for overheating including CPU/GPU/MB/HDD, If possible post temperature here.

dOm1naTOr said:
usually the 9600GT Green is the one which dun require extra power. 65nm ones do need extra power.
has XFX messed up things?

btw, does ur mobo has a molex in just above the PCIE 16X slot? if there is any, then it s for powering the slot exclusively.
Some mobo has that slot, and needs to be connected if using a Gcard which needs too much power from the X16 interface [greater than 75W].

Thats right. My Biostar TA790GX 128M has this slot. So if your mobo has this then plug a molex.

And yeah, try different tweaks. Unplug the graphic card and see if your system is having any issues. Try running various stress tools (with and w/o GPU) to monitor the temps etc.

Exactly, first unplug the graphics card and sound card if any.

Leave the proccy, mobo and RAM and do a stress testing using Orthos.
If the system is stable for 15 minutes or so.
Run a memory test using Memtest or even Orthos again for memory. U can also use Prime95 for the memory.

If the comp passes all of this, add the graphics card and then run 3DMark. Keep GPU-Z running in the background with temperature monitoring. Check the max temp. If games not stable, try removing the drivers completely and reinstalling the drivers. Most of the time, games freeze due to improper drivers.

If all fails, get the card to a friend and get it tested on his comp.

If this also fails, take it for RMA...:p

BTW, since screen is freezing and games also, it looks like RAM which has gone bad, not PSU...:cool2:

Well played warhead last mission just now with cabinet side panel off.It was absolutely normal.So I guess that restart occured due to overheating of GPU.My other temperatures are absolutely normal.Tell me any way to increase fan speeds.

Which fan speed ? GPU FAN ? You can always use Rivatuner. ATI CCC has this feature. Don't know about nVIDIA but it should be there. Setting fan speed upto 60% won't make any noticeable noise. After that, try increasing 5% until you find its noise uncomfortable.

Download Rivatuner or Evga Precision software and set the fan speed manually to 80-90% if you are getting above normal temperatures while gaming. Also try to decrease the temp in ur cabinet by adding more fans.

Your enclosure does not seem to have sufficient ventilation! Just curious but what sort of cooling have you provided for the enclosure? And what make is it?

My enclosure is crappiest ever and I don't have any fans.Anyways tell me how do I change colour settings in Nvidea control panel.I want t use different settings for dektop and full screen 3d.ATI control panel has this option abut I can't find it in Nvidea please help.

pavasedge said:
My enclosure is crappiest ever and I don't have any fans.Anyways tell me how do I change colour settings in Nvidea control panel.I want t use different settings for dektop and full screen 3d.ATI control panel has this option abut I can't find it in Nvidea please help.

Nothing is going to work out unless u change ur cabby or add fans if it has options to add. If budget constraints, get a Zebronics Bijli for 1000 bucks or so.
Else, u will find ur 9600GT dead in a few months...:cool2:

The low power editions, are the same as green editions afaik and do not require a power connector.

But as other suggested, try it on another PC, to isolate if its a gfx card or a PSU issue.

I have my side panel open with big table fan blowing at it.Card is idling at 46 now instead of 52:p.I am not sure if I did change fan speed by Riva tuner properly.I open Riva tuner then clicked customize(the top one)then changed the speed to 60%.I did that correctly?

Also guys tell me how do I change colour settings in Nvidea control panel.It lets me adjust desktop settings but those settings also get applied to full screen 3d.I want to use separate settings for desktop and for full screen.Please help.

yup

u did the fan speed tweaking correctly.

and dun forget to apply and tick the startup apply button which sets the settings at each startups.

Back