bought Nokia X6 for just 18k

piyush_888

Disciple
Hi,
I just bought a Nokia X6 (32 GB) on souq.com (ebay for dubai).for Rs 18,000 (1500 dhs). Anyways, I think I got it that cheap is because its without warranty. Now will that be such a big problem? or considering the 7k I saved, its a good bargain? please comment..

PS : its not used btw, "new, never opened".

I dont' want to be rude but that is a really really bad and stupid decision. You paid 18k for a phone that is kind of dead before arrival in the market. This phone is inferior to 12k Samsung Spica in everything except the amount of memory onboard. 434MHz proccy, 128meg ram, no AMOLED display, no multitouch. Also that Symbian OS is really inferior when you compare it with the Android that comes on Spica. Just for another 4k-5k, you may have got HTC Hero or Legend which are lot more worthy.

HTC hero costs less than 1600AED and Legend costs less than 2000AED.

Bad bad decision!

PS: Apologies if I a bit harsh here but Symbian is history and getting a no-warranty symbian phone for 18k is ......

desiibond said:
I dont' want to be rude but that is a really really bad and stupid decision. You paid 18k for a phone that is kind of dead before arrival in the market. This phone is inferior to 12k Samsung Spica in everything except the amount of memory onboard. Also that Symbian OS is really crap when you compare it with the Android that comes on Spica. Just for another 4k-5k, you may have got HTC Hero or Legend which are lot more worthy.

HTC hero costs less than 1600AED and Legend costs less than 2000AED.

Bad bad decision!

PS: Apologies if I a bit harsh here but Symbian is history and getting a no-warranty symbian phone for 18k is ......

no no...I appreciate the honesty. The thing is, I am not a big user of the "features". What I am trying to say it I got X6 for its looks, I mean for me its more about the looks than the OS the phone is running on. I have a wireless router at home so I thought wifi would be nice in the phone and as the 3G auctions have concluded I thought having 3G would also be a good idea. you have to admit that X6 looks way cooler than spica and about HTC, 18k was the maximum I had in mind...so.

Anyways... will the warranty thing come and bite me in the ass??

piyush_888 said:
no no...I appreciate the honesty. The thing is, I am not a big user of the "features". What I am trying to say it I got X6 for its looks, I mean for me its more about the looks than the OS the phone is running on. I have a wireless router at home so I thought wifi would be nice in the phone and as the 3G auctions have concluded I thought having 3G would also be a good idea. you have to admit that X6 looks way cooler than spica and about HTC, 18k was the maximum I had in mind...so.

Anyways... will the warranty thing come and bite me in the ass??

Without the warranty, you just have to be a bit extra careful. no dropping the phone etc.

PS: if for looks, you seriously should've considered saving just a bit and getting HTC Legend. It's aluminium unibody is breathtakingly beautiful and then the HTC Sense UI is perfect icing on the cake.

say that something does go wrong... will Nokia fix it if I am willing to pay the service charges or are they gonna refuse to even touch it because theres no warranty (I know it sounds VERY stupid... but I have no idea when it comes to these things).

PS : how much do they charge to fix mobiles... say I cracked the screen...

I guess they would be more than happy to fleece you for parts and labour. They will never refuse to service. No one will if they make money on it... See if you can get an insurance which can cover loss, theft and damage. That way you will be saved :)

Well, the X6 is not officially launched in India as yet. Moreover, only the 16GB model is coming to India at an undisclosed date (I have emails from Nokia confirming same which I had received prior to purchasing the X6 via GreyMarket)

The phone has extremely poor build quality, back cover creaks like hell, the screen borders have wide gaps that are big enough for dust & grime to enter & break havoc...... In short, I got fed up with the phone & sold it off within 3 weeks.

Purchased for 21K & sold for 13k....!!! That's xactly what happens to prices of grey phones!!!

Insurance wont cover the repair costs. It will only indemnify you against theft & Loss.

If u mess up with the phone before it is launched, nokia india wont be able to fix it.
After launch they would fix it at a cost.

If u see the Service Manuals of the X6, for any repairs, the X6 needs a completely new housing (center) each time it is opened!!! So, paid repairs are going to be expensive.

piyush_888 said:
saala phone haath main aaya nahi... usse pehle hi logon ne ichcha maar di

Don't fret bro.....

It is not necessary that all phones are poorly built..... yours might be a good one.

Nokia has manufacturing facilities all over the world. The hands manufactured in Finland, Hungary, Holland & Germany are amongst the best built!!!

Those from China are amongst the worst!!

Again, even if you purchase a phone with a bill/warranty, you don't get any free service for physical or liquid damage. So, if u crack ur screen, u pay for it!
These days, phones rarely develop faults that are covered by warranty!!!

Yes, one thing I would strongly suggest is that u should avoid using the sliding key lock on the X6, it is prone to breakage. Use a software called MyKeyLock instead. It is free & developed by a Chinese guy & can save ur key from breaking off! Google it.

nehaladsul said:
Don't fret bro.....

It is not necessary that all phones are poorly built..... yours might be a good one.

Nokia has manufacturing facilities all over the world. The hands manufactured in Finland, Hungary, Holland & Germany are amongst the best built!!!

Those from China are amongst the worst!!

Again, even if you purchase a phone with a bill/warranty, you don't get any free service for physical or liquid damage. So, if u crack ur screen, u pay for it!
These days, phones rarely develop faults that are covered by warranty!!!

Yes, one thing I would strongly suggest is that u should avoid using the sliding key lock on the X6, it is prone to breakage. Use a software called MyKeyLock instead. It is free & developed by a Chinese guy & can save ur key from breaking off! Google it.

Aaaah... Finally someone who made me feel a lil good about the phone, thanks man.
I hope all the maybes that you put in your post come true and the phone is a hungary manufactured.

ajab.ghajab said:
@nehaladsul , curious. What about the India made ones?

Well, the ones sold in India are not 'Made in India'. I mean the higher end phones, the cheaper phones are made in India. :no:

If you see the label at the back of the phones sold in India, they say 'Made by Nokia'. This is not the case in other Worldwide markets where the labels read 'Made in Hungary', 'Made in Finland' and so on.....

So, it is really difficult to comment on those phones. :p

But if you ask me, I think that the build quality of all Nokia phones has deteriorated sharply in the past few years. Same is true for Nokia India phones.
:mad:

desiibond said:
Forget about x6. Looks like nokia is going to bring out x5 with symbian 3 in few months time.

I don't think it would be coming to India soon..... :(

Even the X6 is yet to reach us while it was launched in 2009 & is already available in neighbouring countries like Bangladesh!! :rofl:

If you've seen the Symbian ^3 videos, I guess you would agree that it is nothing exceptionally better than the existing S60v5 FP1/FP2.

So, Nokia is not going to get my money anytime soon..... atleast not till they bring out something revolutionary..... preferably on the Android platform!!! Lolzzz :tongue:

nehaladsul said:
I don't think it would be coming to India soon..... :(
Even the X6 is yet to reach us while it was launched in 2009 & is already available in neighbouring countries like Bangladesh!! :rofl:

If you've seen the Symbian ^3 videos, I guess you would agree that it is nothing exceptionally better than the existing S60v3 FP1/FP2.

So, Nokia is not going to get my money anytime soon..... atleast not till they bring out something revolutionary..... preferably on the Android platform!!! Lolzzz :tongue:

hehe. true. S^3 is just a step ahead when compared to S60v5. but still for those hardcore Nokia fans, it will atleast give few more peanuts :)

Back