Brainwavz M2 : The Review

BRAINWAVZ M2 : The Review

This is my first review, so feel free to point out any mistakes i've made. :)

Well guys, initially I used to listen to music using my Ipod touch and the stock apple buds. Recently, my buds broke down and so began my hunt for the perfect iems as per my requirements.

Before starting off, I would like to mention that I basically listen to hip-hop, R&B, country, Pop, Trance, Soft rock. Well basically anything other than Hard rock and metal.

After going through several reviews on the net and hours of reading, I finally decided to put my money on the Brainwavz M2 (that was the first time I heard its name).

I placed an order online through Lynx India and luckily I got it as a deal of the day offer with 25% off on the MRP. :) So it costed me Rs 2300 after discount, which was quite a good deal as it would have costed me 60 dollars had I ordered through mp4nation.

Specs:

Type Dynamic Driver

Channel Balance: <= 2dB

Driver Diameter: 10.7mm

Rated Input Power: 10mW

Sensitivity: 115dB @ 1mW

Distortion: <= 0.3% @ 94dB

Maximum Input Power: 40mW

Impedance: 20? Closed Dynamic

Plug: 3.5mm, 45 degree, gold-plated

Frequency Response: 20~20,000Hz

Cord: 1.3 meters Y cord (CU/Ag) PUR

THE PACKAGE

When i received it, I was quite impressed by its packing.

It was housed in a black box with a see through portion for a glance at the iem housing.

IMG_0784.jpg

The Iems are well kept in the box and would handle any type of drop.

The packaging consists of

> 3 pairs of different size silicon tips

> 3 pairs of different size foam tips

> pair of ear gliders for over the ear usage

> Round hardcase

I'm pretty impressed by the accessories and hybrid like silicon tips and foam tips are really comfortable to wear.

The round case exudes quality and really does its job well in protecting the iems.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

The entire package

The iems are very study and have a metal housing.

It fits in my ear very well and is very comfortable to wear for hours too.

I prefer to wear the silicon tips than the foam tips.

The design is a typical IEM design.Can be worn over the ear as well as straight down. The cable is sturdy, thick and has a braided feel to it. It definitely showcases quality.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

PERFORMANCE: The real Deal

I had read many articles related to the burn-in period of dynamic driver based IEMS, however my M2 didn't need any burn in. They sounded great out of the box.

The lows:

The best feature of the M2- The Bass.

M2 handles the low end of the frequency range very well and it has both quality and quantity.

The bass is impactful, well textured, tight, punchy, extends low and deep.

It is very well controlled.

The sub-bass is also elevated to a level that makes it clearly audible. You will feel the rumble with these in-ears even though the bass is not blown completely out of proportions.

The following tracks sounded just great and their bass just suprised me.

Drake- Sooner than later

Basshunter - Almost all the songs

Lil wayne - Lollipop, Got money

Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow

Chris Brown- Most of his songs

Akcent- I turn around the world

Snoop Dog- Riders of the Storm

Janet Jackson- Call on Me

Songs by Nelly

And many more

The overall signature is on the warmer and smoother side and you really can't go wrong with the bass on the M2. The best that you can get for the price if you want quality bass.

The Mids:

The mids are sweet and slightly forward. Very musical iems in my opinion.

Good detailing and instrument separation and really complements the bass well. It fits in nicely with the other frequencies making one sweet cohesive (and layered) sound.

The Highs:

The M2 renders the high end of the frequency range very decently. While it may not be as good as its more expensive competitors; it's still very well detailed and holds its own against other iems in its category.

I didnt encounter any issues of sibilance which is a good thing.

Soundstage:

The M2 has decent soundstage and it was neither too wide nor too deep.

If it had a better soundstage then the M2 would've been a killer option even in the sub 4k range.

Overall, If you want a fun sounding, musical IEM wid amazing bass, great mids and decent highs with a decent soundstage, the M2 is your best bet.

Besides its anyways the best bet for everyone who wants an iem below 3k. :razz:

Anything below 3k, and you can blindly take the M2.

I use my itouch as my source

IMG_0797.jpg

I prefer to wear it down than around the ear though since i'm more used to that.

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Hope you liked my review. :)

good review. on a side note - are you in the 12th standard -- couldn't help but notice partial differentiation problems in one of those snaps.

am really considering buying this with galaxy s2 and the likes of faheem really vouch for this iem, but the wire looks uncomfy to carry around in pockets.. does it fold well?

It folds well, the wire is actually really good and strong.

Strong doesn't mean it doesnt fold well or anythin, it means its durable enough.

Thanks.

Well, that depends but normally whenever i'm going outside or when i'm on my laptop i listen to songs. So probably around 5 hours daily (summer vacations have also started).

@Tenzin, I just wanted to let you know, I have ordered a M2 after reading your review, good review there mate.. just for people like me, who are not comfortable with audiophile's languages

@Tenzin,

nice review. Do you advice them using at workouts. this IEM looks really good choice, but i may use this while workouts(i sweat a lot). By looking at the pics it looks like we can use it ..what do you say..?

sajal said:
@Tenzin, I just wanted to let you know, I have ordered a M2 after reading your review, good review there mate.. just for people like me, who are not comfortable with audiophile's languages
Thats nice, enjoy your iems :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

jhonny.s said:
@Tenzin,

nice review. Do you advice them using at workouts. this IEM looks really good choice, but i may use this while workouts(i sweat a lot). By looking at the pics it looks like we can use it ..what do you say..?
Well, I do get a perfect fit with them, and i use them while jogging. The fit depends on individual's ears but it should fit most of the ears, since its a pretty standard design and not bulky.

Back