Brand new Router faulty?

Nolasco

Disciple
Well Im not sure if any of you guys have read the previous thread I started since I have not got a single reply there. Anyway just a brief about my problem. I bought a buffalo WCR-GN router a few days back and am not able to connect to the internet. I can connect when my lan cable is connected to the pc directly from the modem however on connecting the lan cable from the modem to the router, i get the error saying "router cannot connect to the internet" and under diagnostics shows "not connected" and "WAN port disconnect" "cable disconnected"

The cables are working perfectly so it cannot be due to them. I also called hathway to check and they said that there is no issues with the modem as well and that maybe the router is not configured properly. I ran the setup cd and went through it completely only to get the error message at the end saying not able to connect to the internet. Any ideas on what is to be done in this case? Is it a faulty router or some settings need to be changed?

Try to do a factory reset....then if this does not help, try firmware update if available. You have to make sure the settings are all correct, if modem is connected to the router, this new modem should get a local WAN IP from the modems dhcp server like 192.168.x.x and you should be able to ping it...define modems ip as routers gateway....i mean i hope you are getting the basics right.

I have done the factory reset numerous times while trying to configure it. Firmware installed is the latest available. The problem is that the router is not connecting to the modem. As mentioned in my first post, i get the error message "No Internet cable connected". One of my friends suggested I use a crossover cable to connect the two since they are similar devices. He mentioned that the newer modems can detect the routers even with regular lan cables but since my modem is over 6 years old, it would probably need a cross over cable to connect to the router. Any other suggestions? Dont have a crossover cable with me right now so until i get one, would not mind trying out any other settings.

If you went through the setup CD exactly step-by-step and still it is giving you an error, then there is a good chance that the router is faulty. Just get it replaced and be done with it.

if it has multiple port, try lan to lan cable internally to check ports. U can try crossover but ip will be an issue here and it will not solve the issue.

Well I guess I could just get it replaced. Problem is I bought it through mediahome who is based in Delhi so would be good if I could just solve the issue locally rather than having to ship it back to him to get a replacement. Does Buffalo provide on the spot replacements if I go to their service center?

I had a similar problem. All the wires and wireless networks were detected but just couldn't configure the modem. Finally did a reloaded the firmware it did the trick.

Try reloading the firmware even if it is latest and try. Or else get it replaced!

And also if you got manufacturers warranty then maybe you can just get your thing done at their mumbai service centre.

@op what type of connection are you using. Try connecting directly without router and see if it connects. If it does then that means either of two things:

1. Your isp records your macaddress of the lan card and since there is a macaddress mismatch when connected through the router it shows up as not connected or no connection detected blah blah.

2. Your router has gone kapoot.

You can try and isolate the problem by first hard-resetting the router. All routers usually have a small opening where you can insert a pin or a paper clip to reset. Check your router manual for the location of this. Next connect the broadband connection directly to the computer that you were using before you got the router. Now right click on the lan and go to status->details. Note down the macaddress mentioned. It will be hex string. something like 6a-8d-00-7e-f4-88 etc etc . Now connect your router and open up the configuration page in your browser. Its usually something like 192.168.2.1 or something. Check your router manual for the exact configuration ip. Now in the router configuration go to macaddress (which may listed under devices or WAN) and enable "copy macaddress". This will copy your lan card's macaddress into the router. Yo might also have to manually enter the macaddress in the field that you previously noted down. After this go to the setup connection option under the router configuration menu and setup the type of connection you have ie Static, Dynamic, PPOE etc. Save and restart router. If everything works correctly you will able to connect.

If the above doesnt work , your router is probably faulty. Get it replaced.

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Was quite busy last few days so did not get a chance to experiement too much with the router. Anyway I tried it out at my friends places who have hathway connections with a scientific atlanta and cisco modems provided by hathway (which are the newer ones) but unfortunately does not connect to my Motorola surfboard SB5100 for some reason. Tried with my friends modem at my place as well and it detects the router but I cannot login to hathway since I get the authentication rejected error when I try to login (I am able to access the hathway website though so the router works).

I have spoken to the hathway guys and have asked them to swap the router with that of my friend however they say that they cannot do this and I will either have to buy a new modem from them for Rs1300 else get a new router. Have followed up with them numerous times regarding this but they are refusing to change it. Guess if worse comes to worse and they do not relent, I will just switch over to Mtnl. Any suggestions you guys have?

Back