Bridge or entry level DSLR? Please help

R0H!T

Adept
I am interested in photography but am absolute beginner and never even owned a bridge camera before. Currently I have a 4 year old P&S Canon A560.

I read a lot of material here on TE and other forums / review sites and was inclined towards entry level DSLR. But currently I am not sure how much I would be able to spend on lenses. So after ruminating for couple of weeks, finally pulled the trigger and ordered Pana FZ35 @ 13k on zoomin. Thought that it has few manual options and IQ is great (sans low light) so I can experiment for a year or 2 and then buy good DSLR. But by the time I ordered it, it was out of stock on zoomin and all other online sites :facepalm: I got this confirmation from zoomin today. So now I am again in the dilemma as to whether go for entry level DSLR or look for any other bridge camera. By entry level I mean Canon 1000D w/ kit lens as my budget is hovering around 20k at the moment. Other good bridge camera that I am interested in is Pana FZ150 but it's not yet launched in India and ordering from abroad means I don't get warranty.

I am interested in macros, HDRs and usual landscapes and portrait shots.

So I want some suggestions in

1. bridge cameras and

2. whether the idea of buying 1000D now is a good idea? I am also interested in macros so I guess if I decide 1000D I will have to buy 50mm f1.8(?) prime lens which should cost 5-6k :noob: and the eBay listing I am looking at is New Canon EOS 1000D Digital SLR Camera with 18 - 55 Kit Lens | eBay

Regarding 1000D, I have following queries -

1. the kit lens is Non IS - how big a problem is it?

2. Since this model is pretty old, what features I would miss compared to 1100D or 550D (as a beginner and eventually as I get acquainted with DSLR's features)

3. If upgrade to some other Canon model in future, will I face compatibility issues with the lenses I own with 1000D?

And which of the two should I prefer? Bridge or 1000D?

Edit --

How is this deal Canon-EOS-1100-D-CAMERA-WITH18-55-MK-II-LENS-2YR-CANON-INDIA-WARRANTY-SEALED- Canon 1100D with 18-55 IS Kit lens @24.7k

Back