Bringing a desktop from US to India

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
So, I'll be leaving for my Masters to US in a month and will be there for two years. I decided on building a tiny desktop in something like the SG13 and a cheap laptop instead of having to deal with the low performance to price ratio and weight of a gaming laptop. So, I need to know if anyone has any experience or knowledge of bringing a desktop to back to India from there( I'll not be carrying the monitor) and whether I would need to pay any duty on it, because if I do have to pay, then it would be a bad deal overall. Thanks :)

Last edited:
So just sell it after 2 years instead of lugging it back.[DOUBLEPOST=1435594128][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, wouldn't it have made more sense to ask this after 2 years, instead of now?

So just sell it after 2 years instead of lugging it back.[DOUBLEPOST=1435594128][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, wouldn't it have made more sense to ask this after 2 years, instead of now?
I need to bring whatever I buy back here since I need it here. I'm asking it now because I have to decide based on this whether to buy a desktop or to settle for a gaming laptop.

Ideally on owned items one does not need to pay duty. But given the fanatic nature of custom officials, I could not say anything conclusively. Bringing laptop is much more is easier. Also IIRC, there is limit under which you can have goods duty free; its either 35,000 or 50,000 - not sure about exact terms and conditions.

Cap is at Rs 45000 right now. Even I would suggest, bringing a laptop would be easier because you can always carry two laptops with you.

Ya. Better invest in a hi-end laptop so no hassles of roaming round the world. And no country will question you unless its north korea type.

But if desktop then its a complete nightmare. You may have to show all items bill separately or as required. Again opening cabinet and extra bull shit trouble.
Mind you these customs trouble a lot if one is found suspicious and not to forget the questions they shoot as if interrogating for some crime. And in such tricky situations you cant escape even a minor fee no matter if its for escaping trouble or as per custom policies.

So either buy a desktop in US and sell it off aka dispose it there itself while returning or go the portable way.

^^^

I been doing that for the last 2~3 years. Do does my brothers for around ~10 years. So does my colleagues for around 7~8 years. One personal laptop and One official laptop(Bonded Warehouse item, is the exact term I think).

No one ever checked any of us for the documentation. So for the last 2 times, I carried laptop for others. :D

^^ i am shown official documents by customs stating that only one laptop is allowed!

it has happened with me every single time. so, i was wondering if there were some recent changes as @akskap seems to be so confident.

anyways, if you are not getting frisked at re-entry then why stop at just 2 laptops? bring in more :D

Never heard of it. Yet to hear of a document shown. So I am 110% confident. Why last week my roommate went to India. Delhi Airport. 2 Laptops.

Two laptops are ok as you can say one is personal and other business purpose. But being greedy and carrying more than 2 laptops will surely attract attention.

@m-jeri 110% confident of what? that they don't show the official document? or they don't care about two laptops? or there exists a duty-free rule about company owned and personal laptop?

i am looking for latest official statement... i know that GOI has many such rule books: http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

this is something from 2014: http://articles.economictimes.india...ian-customs-declaration-form-immigration-form

anyways, i believe the rule regarding business and personal laptops is created by indian IT companies. and not by customs.

i always declare the true contents of my baggage but they never bought the statement regarding work laptop and personal. though it makes sense because we don't own the company laptop. but then they always have some documents ready to argue with IT guys.

@nRiTeCh next time please declare that you are carrying a bonded laptop as well as a personal one. let's see if they "officially" allow you.

That one can bring 2 laptops. Based on many years of personal experience and others experience. And 70% of the people I know are in IT, others in manufacturing. None of us declare anything.

Actually tmrw a guy and his wife leaving. Wife on H4. Laptop number is 4. Bangalore Airport. This is his second return.

Perhaps in your case and experience it was like that. Other than that, I cannot say anything else. The maximum limit 35 or 45K INR of imported duty.. You can add extra 65K when you stay out for more than 6 months or 3 months. A colleague of mine was in US for a short while for Broadcom. He went back with ...wait for it.... 7 phones, for project development though and he bought 4 phones as well. 11 top end smart phone. Ofcourse 7 were laser etched with not for sale, testing, r&D models etc. He had papers as well proving the same for the 7 not the 4. Customs asked papers, he showed that.. walked out.

Again, these are all experiences. YMMV.

And anyways.. I am always prepared to dump the office laptop to them provided they give me receipt. ;).

But being greedy and carrying more than 2 laptops will surely attract attention.
it's not being greedy but not declaring it... you may call it cheating or being clever.

That one can bring 2 laptops.
yes, you can bring in as many as you want, as long as you hide them well from the customs. the official document states just "one" laptop allowed, above duty-free limit. so, you can get by, by not declaring it.

well, i got my answer: two-laptop policy is not official.

^^^

You are just being bit too "violent" with your posts. You don't necessarily hide things when your cabin bags and check in bags pass through X Ray Scanners. Its not a mission impossible movie. Its upto them to ask me the questions. I/or Anyone is not going to yell "2 laptops..2 laptops" and walk towards the immigration check.

There used to be a time when just 1 laptop was strict. The one I remember is 2001.

If nearly a decade worth of experiences from people working for firms with hundreds of people traveling is the one I said, maybe thats the real situation.

Back