Broadband = Shared connection??

Wraith

Skilled
I keep hearing from exatt that broadband is a shared connection...i just want to know what all this fuss is about??

when i called up exatt regarding the issue of the speed not doubling at night...this is what they said..'that my connection belongs to a particular pool where many users connect so i may or maynot get the increased speed...as someone else might be using it'...they also said 'broadband has no dedicated bandwidth...the bandwidth is shared amogst the users in the pool'

Can someone please shed any light on this?

BTW this is what TRAI says

Keeping in view the present status, Broadband connectivity is defined at present as

“An ‘always-on' data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 256 kilo bits per second (kbps) to an individual subscriber from the Point Of Presence (POP) of the service provider intending to provide Broadband service where multiple such individual Broadband connections are aggregated and the subscriber is able to access these interactive services including the Internet through this POP. The interactive services will exclude any services for which a separate licence is specifically required, for example, real-time voice transmission, except to the extent that it is presently permitted under ISP licence with Internet Telephony.â€

I think the guy told u right!! Exatt broadband comes to you through the ethernet which has its Point of Presence at the cable operator. So, acc to the definition from TRAI.. (damn...what a definition) the connection between the cable-operator and u must be 256Kbps or higher (atleast Im understanding the def that way)...

But yes it true that the bandwidth is shared between the users... There is a specific bandwidth allocated to the cable-operator and it is distributed among the users connected to that cable-operator.

Yep broadband is shared between you and other users in the same POP. Every provider has specified a minimum and maximum bandwidth limit that you will get on your line. And till the time your BW is between that limit you cannot complain.

For ex. your connection is 256K, then 256K is the maximum limit. They always tell you the max limit. However that line might have a minimum limit of 128K. As long as you are getting speeds above 128K you are within the TOS. They can and should help you get better speeds but you cannot make them do it.

SO forget about doubling of speeds, even if you get half the speed you can do nothing about it except ofcourse switching your provider.

See, the problem here is that TRAI is trying to define broadband speeds. Which is just daft, because they cannot ask for service guarantees. I have a 5mbps connxn for which I pay 35 USD a month.

A T1 connection (1.544 mbps) costs 390 USD a month!! Want to know why? A T1 is a leased line (services guarantees + no shared pipes).

There is no way for TRAI to ask for service guarantees, and without them, there is no meaning of defining speeds.

I any case, there are other things involved in QoS (jitter - a fast connection with a shitload of jitter is no good, availability is needed, latency anyone?) that go into defining a "good" "broadband" connection.

Today i spoke to mr mohan from he exatt...he was extremely rude!!(talk abt customer service) when i told him abt my problem...he said i am lucky to get such speed(15-16) and speed is absolutely right for a 256k connection!! and then when i said that i dont get double speed at night...he said i am gettin double speed even in the day so infact i shld be happy!!(he considers 8k as good speed for a 256k connection)

i said this is daylight robbery...so he asked me to shift to another ISP!!

^^WTF ..... with 256 conn u sud be getting at least 25-30 speeds ...... ur connection looks like 128 to me ......

Yep with 256K the optimum speeds are 26-30KBps. He is certainly out of his minds to say that, when you know that airtel gives you all that. 8KBps is for a 64K connection. Like I said you can do nothing about it but only change providers.
The only thing I have ever read about exatt on the forums is how pathetic they are and how they cheat people. It must be really unfortunate if you are stuck with him. I wish everyone who uses Exatt shifts to some other provider and throw these guys out of business coz they give a fcuk about customer service. Makes you realize you are still in India where this concept is still struggling to sink in. I hate rude/incompetent service providers. :bleh:

^^ agree with you 100% percent you i am stuch with either exatt or pacenet...the only good thing abt pacenet is that the CS ppl arent rude...

Exatt is the worst organisation i have ever dealt with till date.....they are pure morons (conveyed that to mr mohan) :D :D

Wraith said:
^^ agree with you 100% percent you i am stuch with either exatt or pacenet...the only good thing abt pacenet is that the CS ppl arent rude...

Exatt is the worst organisation i have ever dealt with till date.....they are pure morons (conveyed that to mr mohan) :D :D

If possible record how they deal with the customers and spread the news across forums with a clip. :hap2:

just an update....ever since my conv with mr mohan...i am gettin 32k speeds constant all day....looks like the firing i gave them has had some effect :D :D :D

Back