Broadband - which one?

Nir-V-aNa

Disciple
Hi guys,

I'm moving to Thakur Complex, Kandivali (E) at Mumbai in a day or two. I am gonna be shifting from a Reliance 3.1mbps wireless to a fixed line connection. Any suggestions as to which connection should I opt for? I called up reliance and they said they only offer wi-max in that area. What are my options in that area? I know three which offer their services there - MTNL, Airtel & Hathway. I want a connection which offers good pings for gaming (CS, Dota & a few MMOs) and a minimum speed of 512 kbps for downloading. I will also be using VoIP & webcam streaming simultaneously. So obviously I cannot go for a connection with a download limit as the above mentioned activities suck up a huge amount of bandwidth. I heard that MTNL has a long waiting period once you apply for their connection and God forbid if something goes wrong with your connection then their "engineer" rings your doorbell no sooner than a week after your complaint (I'm one of those guys who can survive without food for a day but not broadband so that gives me the shivers :p). I have had an unpleasant experience with Hathway and so I'm leaning towards airtel at the moment. So please help me out here with the plans and contact details etc. Thank you :)

P.S.: I have an old D-Link DSL502T router with me that I used with my BSNL Broadband (I think MTNL also used to provide that). If any of the ISPs charge me an installation fee or router charge, can I use my router instead and get a waiver on the fee?

I was given this contact info by their head office but no one answered the phone when i called up :no:

Sonali Internet Services Pvt. Ltd.
Contact Person : Mr. Vijay Shinde
Postal Address : G-15/17, Plot No. 1406/A/25/7, Shri Kamadhenu Estate, Cross Link Road, Off Orbit Industrial Estate, Near Tangent Furniture/Grand Hometel Hotel, Chincholi Bander, Malad (West), Mumbai - 400 064.
Landline Number : 28785008 (Area - Goregaon to Gorai)

Anyone using fivenet on TE? Their plans seem great, but someone's personal experience on this would go a long way...

Also any info/feedback on airtel/mtnl?

airtel plans suck.
There is no unlimited plan as such,all of them come with ridicoulously low level of FUP.
Your best bet would be mtnl,
I heard wimax is pretty good,if the tower near to your house

I was given this contact info by their head office but no one answered the phone when i called up :no:

Anyone using fivenet on TE? Their plans seem great, but someone's personal experience on this would go a long way...

Also any info/feedback on airtel/mtnl?

I had contacted them for 5net but the said that contact your local cable operator

Airtel has very bad FUP

Srirama

airtel plans suck.
There is no unlimited plan as such,all of them come with ridicoulously low level of FUP.
Your best bet would be mtnl,
I heard wimax is pretty good,if the tower near to your house

I also would like to go for MTNL (I hear they have next to nil downtime but I'm scared of their service). In airtel FUP, do we get charged if we exceed the bandwidth or does our speed get reduced? wi-max, reliance told me the charges are 1500/- + taxes for 600kbps which is insane tbh.

techno_guy

I had contacted them for 5net but the said that contact your local cable operator
Airtel has very bad FUP

Well, the local cable wala only provides hathway in this region (that scoundrel :mad:). Lets see, if nothing else toh gadhe ko bhi baap banana padega.

HailStonE

What about TATA & Tikona

I don't know much about them. I'm asking for feedback from you guys :p

Well, the local cable wala only provides hathway in this region (that scoundrel :mad:). Lets see, if nothing else toh gadhe ko bhi baap banana padega.

Same here

Tata does not have any great unlimited plan and they are too costly

And yes in Airtel the Fup limit is too low and if its unlimited plan then they reduce your speeds to 256 kbps and if other plan then they charge you for extra usage

Back