Bsnl broadband -- urgent help needed

eagle004

Disciple
So far i have been using reliance broadband. just a few days ago, got my net connection( 256 k unlimited plan) from bsnl. they came installed a moden (ZTE ZXDSL 831 Modem ) and then over phone gave me a password and username. Trouble is i am unable to connect to the net. Any idea what to do to get online ?? I spoke to bsnl , they said they will be sending someone to fix it but it has been 4 days and they haven't yet send anyone.

Also when the modem is on, the red light(power) as well as the green light(PC/USB) is on.The DSL light(amber) is flashing and so is the internet light. the modem is connected to the ethernet port of the computer.

So do any of you guys know how to set up an internet connection?

BTW, i am using windows vista.

am also using intel's G33 chipset and the network adaptor is intel 82562V-2 10/100 network connection.
Pls. help. I don't know much abt. these things as this is the first time i am using something other than reliance wireless connection

you need to configure your router.
Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 (this is the default ip address of your router). You will be promted to enter user name and password, I understand that for ZTE routers default username is ZXDSL, and the password is ZXDSL. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Now you need to enter the user name and password provided by BSNL in the router (LAN settings). Save it.

Thats it, now you can use the internet.

Here's how you setup your connection in Vista:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel.

2. Click on Network and Internet icon.

3. Click on Network and Sharing Center icon.

4. Click on Setup a connection or network on the left task pane.

5. A new window will popup asking you to choose the connection option. Click Connect to the Internet and click Next.

6. Now click on Broadband (PPPoE) option.

7. Do the following on this screen:

* Enter the User name and Password your ISP gave you.

* Type in a name for Connection name. This name is to identify your internet connection. (If you have multiple Internet connections, this is useful).

* If you check the box which says "Allow other people to use this connection", Vista will allow all the users on the computer to access this connection.

8. Click Connect.

Cant u guys see,, His dsl light is flashing,, which means the adsl link is not proper,,,,
I hav the same prob,, Since 3 months,,,
very irritating,, n they r still not able to solve it..
Pray that urs is a small prob...

get after them,,, No other way,,, Its like getting no signal in ur phone...

Nice video..

Well tried all the above suggested stepts and still no use.

And ankit there is no such light in my modem.Well the DSL light(amber) is flashing and the internet light is flashing ever so faintly that it's not even clear whether it's on or not.
"
I hav the same prob,, Since 3 months,,,
very irritating,, n they r still not able to solve it..

Ya maybe it's this problem and i hope they will fix it.the last thing i want is to wait another 3 months.

The adsl link is not established. unless that light is firm (fully light, no flicker) the modem is effectively not connected to the exchange.

"Most Probably" you have more than one phone connected to the modem line in parallel "before" the modem line filter. check the telephone line and make sure that the telephone line is directly connected to the modem filter and split from there. remove any / all the other phones in that line (if any) and try.

Also as a follow up .....
Check and confirm the following settings in the modem. pvc=0 , vpi=0, vci=35, wan setting=PPPoA / PPPoE, ATM service catogary=UBR.
These settings are from my D-link modem urs may have different names.

its most likely your net is not activated yet. When i got my connection recently, it took like almost a week (after installation) to get activated.

nope once he gets username n pass he's activated,, jus go n complain n tell dat the adsl link is not proper,,,n ask him to do it ASAP...nothin more u can do,,,

does the Modem have any LOG ? check if the log has entried for adsl link failure. MTNL/BSNL both suck in terms of customer care. have to run behind them to get things sorted.
Also, try removing all parallel connections on that telephone line.
i.e. make the line connect to modem directly. (without the crap splitter) might help.

Well the Bsnlk guys showed up--unfortunately they have no idea abt the whole thing!!
"Most Probably" you have more than one phone connected to the modem line in parallel "before" the modem line filter. check the telephone line and make sure that the telephone line is directly connected to the modem filter and split from there. remove any / all the other phones in that line (if any) and try.
No i got only one phone connection and the telephone line is directly connected to the modem filter.

does the Modem have any LOG ?

How do you check that??

Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 (this is the default ip address of your router). You will be promted to enter user name and password, I understand that for ZTE routers default username is ZXDSL, and the password is ZXDSL. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

I tried that but it is not accepting the username and password.Tried both ZXDSL/ZXDSL as well as ADSL/
expert03(username/password). No use.

damn this whole thing is like a freak show!! Came to this place nearly 4 months ago, applied for a net connection and still no proper net. Got this crap from reliance---download/upload rates are pathetic.my torrent seed ratios are drastically going down!! Risk getting banned!!

Ank1t said:
Im talking from experience mate.. i got my user name and pass but net was still not up ;)
i know their system buddy,,3 months of running gives u some knowledge too...lol
sad...but i told u...

ask him to check the line ,,
Or a different model modem...!!!
I don know ur specific modem but many times a diff modem works!!!
ask him to bring and try a diff modem or a diff make...dats how im working...!!!!!
cause some modems require a better adsl link or something, cause the same modem was working elsewhere...

Back