BSNL capping speeds!!!OR utorrent 1.8.5

nash8789

Disciple
been using BSNL for last 5 years...
am on the Home 500 plan...
past few days am not going above 30kB/sec on u torrent...however my surfing speeds are good according to the 2mbps plan...

using utorrent 1.8.5
is this because of ratio rules in utorrent??

interesting news is that BSNL has started capping torrent speeds...
is using encryption the workaround??
any1 has any idea?

Well...Even I'm using utorrent 1.8.5 and my plan in Home UL 750. I'm getting desired speed. May be the ratio's and no. of seeder's are the cause in your case. Test downloading through Rapidshare or some direct download approach. If you are getting the desired speed there then no need to worry. See what other member's suggests.

nash8789 said:
past few days am not going above 30kB/sec on u torrent...however my surfing speeds are good according to the 2mbps plan...

using utorrent 1.8.5

any1 has any idea?

Who said that BSNL is capping torrent speeds?
I got 180+ kB/s yesterday while downloading from public trackers.

Any links where it is said that BSNL is capping torrent speeds?

nash8789 said:

using utorrent 1.8.5

any1 has any idea?

what are you downloading !!
the download speeds also depends on how many ppl are seeding and leeching!!
if there are more leechers than seeders , its obvious you will suffer low download speeds ...
and in utorrent at the bottom right click on the "D:" bar and select unlimited !
and of course see if your port has been forwarded !
besides these there is no possible explanation as to why you are getting crappy speeds !!
Bsnl won't cap the speeds ... I am not sure they know how to do that :p

glasnost test!!!

Results for your host (59.95.18.128 - 59.95.18.128):
Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 136 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 183 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 134 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 263 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 141 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 219 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 244 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 261 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 259 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 244 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 314 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 141 Kbps. You can find details here.

direct download speeds are fine....
its only with torrents which include private torrents(zamunda,bwt and digital hive)or public like piratebay well seeded ones that I find if i start one torrent it hovers around 28-30kbps and if i turn on another one at the same time then combined output is still around 30kbps.....
and this problem is throughout the day and not just during happy hrs...

692830977.png

This is a common complaint from a lot of BSNL customers. So many of my friends are complaining of this capping and low speeds on torrents.

@OP Open up your modem property page and check the SNR value ( both upstream and down) Down should ideally be ~30db/s and Up :~10 db/s

If the value is to low, then its time to call the lineman and ask him to rectify the loose connection in your telephone line.

Note, due to poor line quality and high-latency of Indian network connections in general, see this post (I have 8mbps/50gb BSNL plan) as a sample of possible limitations/improvements with some tuning, if you search around for your OS:

UPDATE:

OK played around with network settings (basically just MSS/MTU and RWIN) in Win7 and Linux and got some decent results (upper limit went up from 6 mbps to 8 mbps) after some googling and experimenting.

I needed to set MSS/MTU to 14xx to avoid packet fragmentation. Now I've set it to 1492 in my modem/router which does the dialling and to be safe set it to a lower value in the OS at about 1452.

For RWIN there is some calculations involved but simply I guess you set it to as many "MBs" as your connection is in "mbps", so if its 2 mbps, set it to 2 MB, if its 8 mbps set it to 8 MB.

Win7 no need to set it, it has pretty good heuristics and max til about 16 MB auto tuned (you cant set min - its probably 1 MB - default is 64 kb apparently!). Linux on the other hand had poor settings from the various sysctl calls, so I just set it to about 10 MB max and the min I set to 1 MB.

Now you cannot control crappy connection quality, so when there is packet loss (no ack goes back for RWIN) then Win7 drops the RWIN to some small value I guess, I have seen this where my download (using free download manager) gradually climbs to near-8mbps then suddenly/randomly it will drop to 1 mbps (then again slowly go back to 8 mbps) which I'm guessing is due to packet loss.

On Linux (using wget tool) downloads also climbs to 8 mbps after setting MTU to 1492 (it was 1500 causing packet fragmentation!) and also set the RWIN to min/max 1 MB / 10 MB... now earlier my downloads used to struggle to cross 3 mbps now it approaches 8 mbps.

Oh I should mention my DSL modem also was in "G.DMT" mode only and was synced at 6 mbps itself and was one of the reasons I was limited to 6 mbps. When I added ADSL2, G.LITE and ADSL2+ modes in the checklist, it displays that it is using ADSL2+ and "max supported speed is 10 - 11 mbps" and it syncs at 8 mbps as expected. This was not enough to improve actual downloads until I did the above tuning steps.

edit 2: another note, so far i've been saying "6 mbps" and "8 mbps" actually it is really 600+ KBps jumped to 800 KBps... which is like in real numbers only about 5 mbps to 6 mbps... lucky folks might only really get 7 mbps which is expected due to BSNL incompetence (or Airtel sleaziness) where they consider "8 mbps" as 8,000,000 bits per second then when you divide by 1024s and consider packet overheads.

v.Na5h said:
whoa.....great speed
i never get more than 210KBps
:)

221 kBps is very common............very often it goes beyond 300kBps:eek:hyeah:

guys my dad changed my plan to ul750 without asking me

for many its a dream come true ..may be not for u

if this situation would have been in front of my dad then he would have certainly changed it to 250 plan:rofl:

nash8789 said:
guys my dad changed my plan to ul750 without asking me:(:(:(

@nash: dont worry its a wise move because you never have to worry about risk/hassle of overbilling errors from the incompetent bsnl people :) i am already getting sleepless nights moving away from UL to limited plan. i think i will shift back soon to a safer option myself for complete peace of mind

vishalrao said:
@nash: dont worry its a wise move because you never have to worry about risk/hassle of overbilling errors from the incompetent bsnl people :) i am already getting sleepless nights moving away from UL to limited plan. i think i will shift back soon to a safer option myself for complete peace of mind

didnt u say that u have the 50GB plan?

that is also not enough for you??:S

Back