BSNL chennai : Sites not opening but downloads working normally!!!

Ok before you jump to conclusions saying that it is a DNS issue(which i assumed initially) and I need to change my DNS to something else other than the ones assigned by BSNL.. Here is the main thing that I don't get.. I can't even open websites or even ping them, if I directly give the IP address instead of the DOMAIN name....

Here is my setup:
Default BSNL DSL router.I don't remember the exact model number and can't check since I am in the office now.
Linksys wrt54gs : Didn't change any settings in that except for the router password and IP? All the settings were taken Automatically..

I connect to the internet using my laptop.

Now here is what happens...
I use utorrent for downloads...It works fine with gud speeds for uploads/downloads
So far so gud...
But when I try to open any website it just doesn't go beyond "Waiting for 'website name'"

Another weird problem is that I can ping the DSL router at 192.168.1.1 but when I try to ping the wireless router at 192.168.0.1 it does not work ( but it works sometimes??!!!..most of the time it doesn't).
How is that possible since in both case I am using the wifi network only and in order to the ping the DSL router I am using the same wifi connection....

What could be the problem? .. Could my wireless router be malfunctioning?

^^ I tried that out .. but it is still not working....

PS: I worked fro sometime then again it died.. But the downloads were fine throughout the procedure.......

I'm facing the same thing with my TATA connection. I called up the local TATA guys and they said that they are facing some problems whith some server (dunno what they meant) so anyways lets see what happens...........

faced ditto problem..foned the bsnl guys and they said it was due to "some port problem"...got fixed within 10 mins of fone call

I faced same problem.. Getting full download speed but very very slow browsing... Now its little bit good..

Ok guys ..I figured out that its problem with my wifi router only.... The internet works fine when connected directly to the DSL router...but when connected wirelessly the internet works fine for 10 maybe 12 minutes after that its just the downloads that work... The sites just stop opening.....

Is the wifi router malfunctioning.... ? Could a firmware upgrade fix the problem??

Back