BSNL Dataone Throttling (Unlimited 750)

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Folks,

Had been observing this for a very very long time and hence decided to post here.

If you are doing your regular surfing then you would notice that you are throttled down to 256 kbps. However if you are connected to office network through SSL VPN, the speed just jumps to > 512kbps and keeps touching 1.1 Mbps. Now I know it does not help anything, but am happy, cause mine office work is not getting stuck due to low speed.

Your comments?

~LT

H2O

Skilled
Feb 10, 2008
What does that mean ? Sorry to sound so noobish but don't office networks have more bandwith.

Party Monger

Skilled
Jul 15, 2007
Are u trying to say that while net continues to be at normal speeds, the vpn access gets the speed it deserves..??

biosbhai

Disciple
May 29, 2005
Maybe your office network is provided a link to the net by bsnl?

Here in 0utf0s1s, I guess we use reliance and bsnl.

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Apr 7, 2006
Jaipur
www.gaurishsharma.com
linuxtechie said:
However if you are connected to office network through SSL VPN, the speed just jumps to > 512kbps and keeps touching 1.1 Mbps. Now I know it does not help anything, but am happy, cause mine office work is not getting stuck due to low speed.

~LT

Are you trying to say you get more bandwidth than 512kbps if you are connected via a SSL VPN?

I agree BSNL won't throttle SSLEd vpn traffic but how you can you get more than 512kbps as your router is synced with DSLAM at a specific speed which is the max speed that one can get. like mine sync at 2048kBps/512kBps.

so i always get speeds lower than assigned speeds. it never breaches sync limit. maybe you are syncing at a higher speed than alloted in your plan.

Can you post your router stats?

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Gaurish said:
Are you trying to say you get more bandwidth than 512kbps if you are connected via a SSL VPN?
I agree BSNL won't throttle SSLEd vpn traffic but how you can you get more than 512kbps as your router is synced with DSLAM at a specific speed which is the max speed that one can get. like mine sync at 2048kBps/512kBps.
so i always get speeds lower than assigned speeds. it never breaches sync limit. maybe you are syncing at a higher speed than alloted in your plan.

Can you post your router stats?

Mine is also synced at 2048kBps/512kBps. During normal course of surfing the speed is around 256 but with VPN it jumps!

Have a look at the screen shot:

SS.jpg

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Then why doesn't enabling encryption in torrents boost the speed there as well? Must be a configuration error with your account on BSNL's side somehow :) and they have enabled "upto 2 mbps" for you but it only works on non-standard HTTP/FTP ports...

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
maybe the handshake/training/syncing setting is a hardware one and needs to be so for all accounts? and they change individual plan speeds by software throttling...

but then again, not sure how they handle the 8 mbps plan users...