BSNL/Generic FTTH GEPON Modem Details (Telnet, bridge mode, Serial etc)

I have been thinking about posting this.

I am taking a new BSNL FTTH connection. In association with the local cable operator, BSNL is providing the connections to the customers. Currently they are charging 3000/- for every new connection. In addition to the Internet, they are providing landline phone connection as well, and this is included along with the installation, so every new connection will have a phone number allotted.
I inquired about the 3000/- and they explained that 2000/- will be for wifi modem + 1000/- for installation. I have a Netgear R7000 router which I'll use for wifi and requested them to provide a non wifi modem that's priced at 800/-. However the non wifi modem currently offered by syrotech doesn't come with DSL to connect the telephone.

Is there a replacement for this syrotech wifi + ADSL? I don't want the modem wifi enabled, equally don't want to miss the free phone calls offered along with the connection.

These day BSNL and MTNL provide netlink or syrotech modem Model=RL821WV is OEM.
Do you have any details for this?
I don't have that model, so can't say. but netlink UI ( user-images.githubusercontent.com/20347013/106337657-c0e98a00-62b7-11eb-9cb3-5807f052d11c.jpg ) is similar to the generic brand i have

I am taking a new BSNL FTTH connection. In association with the local cable operator, BSNL is providing the connections to the customers. Currently they are charging 3000/- for every new connection. In addition to the Internet, they are providing landline phone connection as well, and this is included along with the installation, so every new connection will have a phone number allotted.
I inquired about the 3000/- and they explained that 2000/- will be for wifi modem + 1000/- for installation. I have a Netgear R7000 router which I'll use for wifi and requested them to provide a non wifi modem that's priced at 800/-. However the non wifi modem currently offered by syrotech doesn't come with DSL to connect the telephone.

Is there a replacement for this syrotech wifi + ADSL? I don't want the modem wifi enabled, equally don't want to miss the free phone calls offered along with the connection.
Better post this as new thread, people might be able to help you
AFAIK, for fiber modem with telephone(adsl port), price is 1250rs in market, & 500rs bsnl installation charges, not sure about refundable deposit.

Apply for BSNL from offical site: https://selfcare.bsnl.co.in/tungsten/UI/facelets/udaanRegistrationPageBeforeLogin.xhtml
so that they(local operators) don't lie to you about pricing (get price etc by calling bsnl or visiting bsnl office) etc

Last edited:

Any GEPON models that offer ADSL without wifi?

The telephone port is not ADSL but a POTS port.

You can take the modem offered by BSNL guy and disable wifi in that.
Moreover you can put the internet wan connection in bridge mode and configure your R7000 to do pppoe, routing and WiFi stuff.

The BSNL provided modem will this be used only as bridge for internet and ATA for landline phone.

1250rs in market, & 500rs bsnl installation charges
I'm not sure if this is followed anywhere. My house is located in a village, and we are one of the first few to take the FTTH, local cable operators have to pull the line from a far away distance and I don't think the installation charges can be negotiated. However the modem charges can be, based on the model.

The telephone port is not ADSL but a POTS port.

You can take the modem offered by BSNL guy and disable wifi in that.
Moreover you can put the internet wan connection in bridge mode and configure your R7000 to do pppoe, routing and WiFi stuff.

The BSNL provided modem will this be used only as bridge for internet and ATA for landline phone.
You're right about the port. Its called POTS and not ADSL.
I can get the one they're providing and disable wifi. But my question is, why not get the non wifi model and save some. I'm specifically looking at this model from Syrotech, however the local cable operators are totally unaware.

20210130_210511.jpg

I am not aware of any cheap routers that do both. Why not get the WiFi device from BSNL and configure it in bridge mode to interface with your router ?

I am not aware of any cheap routers that do both. Why not get the WiFi device from BSNL and configure it in bridge mode to interface with your router ?
I got the connection and they provided the Syrotech wifi modem. I've successfully established bridge mode between Syrotech and Netgear R7000, however wireless devices doesn't seem to get any benefit this way.

The modem is placed in the ground floor living room and R7000 is in the first floor where I have my PCs and laptops. The signal strength does drop, and to enable the PCs connect to the network, R7000 is set to operate in bridge mode. The PCs are connected to the ethernet lan ports of R7000 and they work just fine. However the laptop and mobile devices can't find the wifi network of R7000. I don't know if its possible, but I'm expecting R7000 to enhance the signal strength for these mobile devices to connect to the network wireless. Is this something doable? Or bridge mode will only enable non wifi devices to connect to network through ethernet lan?

The transmit power of any home Router is limited due to regulations.
Hence range of most routers will be same unless they are increasing the tx power illegally ( Asus was accused of doing it by Netgear).

Back