Bsnl or Airtel

chetanrs

Disciple
I know this a kinda old question but i need all your opinions..i already have a bsnl connection 500 i like it so i want to upgrade to 900 unlimited connection is it any good, what should i do to get the connection and i also want to change the modem i want the type4 modem..receantly im experienceing some problems with my connection i noticed if someboby calls to my land line the internet disconnects and vice versa and gets connected again its not supposed to happen right....with that being said i also want to know how is airtel some of my friends say its good so what are the tarrifs for the unlimited connection im getting confused here and also if i want to discontinue bsnl should i return the modem to them its monthly rental not purchased so a little help would be greatful

Never experienced BSNL, but currently using Airtel 256k unlimited plan for 999/month. Wdould recommend it, reliable service, good speed, decent pings.

With Airtel I guess u have a slight edge but then u'll have to close u'r BSNL a/c & use Airtel's . They also have a Wireless method but have heard it's not comparable with the wired speeds. So u'll have to fork out 3k or something for installation & then see which plan they 've. For BSNL it's 900 UL+ which is 900 + the Rs. 1/- all India Plan. BSNL details here . AFA Airtel is concerned on their website as given here atleast for Pune the Freedom combo plan which has 995 has upto 512 Kbps speed but there is a daily limit unlike Dataone which doesn't have tht. Also to have the all India plan u have to pay Rs. 100/- more per month. The costs do add up. I hope this helps in making up u'r mind.

Go for DATA 1 dude with eyes closed !

though it sucks in the CC & UL speed limps, but if u r one CRAZY downloader like me,........u got ur Dreams Fulfilled!

* working on Data1 for last 1 year & 900 UL+ since June 1st!

Airtel 256kbps unlimited plan for 999/month with eyes closed

I always get 29-32KBps download speeds & 29-33KBps upload speeds

Airtel's customer service rocks too whenever my line goes down (which is rare) they rectify it in 4 working hours (10 am to 7 pm, Monday to Saturday)

BSNL sucks in customer services, upload speeds & pings too

once a BSNL Line goes down it takes to get rectified

Go the Airtel way for speed, peace of mind & reliability

You will find many Airtel users here who will agree with me on that statement

yup I've also heard the same about Airtel's awesome upload speeds. I think they've gone the SDSL way rather than BSNL's ADSL way

SDSL = Synchornous Digital Subscriber Line

ADSL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line

but if they went with tht then they can't give voice on the same line. Udit any answers for us, what they're giving?

I ve been using BSNL 900 UL for 2 months now without any probs. Rocking dl speeds and decent pings (40-70 on CS and Q3 servers). Have had just an hour of downtime on 2 occassions which they fixed on their own, dint have to call em up. The only downside is the low upload speed, its pathetic compared to the dl speeds (Is everyone using dataone experiencing this or is it just me :huh: ) Nevertheless the net is awesome, no complaints so far. The disconnection thing ur facing when the phone rings maybe cuz of some prob with the splitter that comes with the router. get it checked, that should solve it.

shirish said:
yup I've also heard the same about Airtel's awesome upload speeds. I think they've gone the SDSL way rather than BSNL's ADSL way

SDSL = Synchornous Digital Subscriber Line

ADSL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line

but if they went with tht then they can't give voice on the same line. Udit any answers for us, what they're giving?

I think they use ADSL

I am an airtel user and currently I'm using 700Rs for 128 kbps unlimited plan and i've been getting only 10-12 kbps download speed and only 8 kbps upload speed, if the upload speed is increased the download speed gets affected. I've called up CC but they say there is nothing they can do about it and if you want better speeds get a higher plan. But earlier I used to get 14-16KBps dnld and 12 KBps upload, so the point is don't go for airtel. I have asked many of friends using dataone about the speeds and they that speeds don't fall below 30-32 KBps. But the BSNL CC thing does s**k.

My Airtel modem says ADSL2+ as well, so i think its not sdsl.

P.S, forgot to mention, with Airtel unlimited plans you get double speed at night. So my 256kbps connection becomes 512kbps between 10PM and 8AM. Even better for downloading, get 45-55 kbps speeds at night :D

Udit said:
You will find many Airtel users here who will agree with me on that statement

i agree....^_^

@shirish : Airtel provided ADSL not SDSL.
still we get awesome speeds..uplload & download speed almost maxes out simultaneously in P2P apps.

Airtel is ADSL although the modem is capable of ADSL+.

I would also recommend Airtel. I am myself on the 256Kbps Plan and get stable speeds. the most important thing is that I the connection never went down even once till now after I got it. Still I get a call from CC enquiring whether I am facing any problem. I was earlier on Sify and the connection used to go off at the first sight of a rain drop. The Airtel CC is better than all other ISPs in India.

AirTel is by far a much better ISP than BSNL. I've used BSNL in the past.... no problems there as far as connectivity was concerned, but customer care is a concept they haven't heard of. Besides, even for the simplest things, you have to head down to the local BSNL office and submit a letter. Everything starts and ends with paper work. On the other hanmd, AirTel does everything over the phone... at most, maybe an email.

AirTel as mentioned by others here, has equal UL and DL speeds which is great for maintaining ratios on P2P.

Bottom line... if you get AirTel in your area, don't even bother thinking twice.

About the modem / routers available with BSNL.. they are all cheap Huawei hardware... not worth a dime. So make sure your decision to get a new connection isn't based on what router / modem you get.

Regarding line problems... the only reason you'll get bumped off the net every time the phone rings is because of improper placement of the splitter.

The main line coming into your house should first go into the splitter before any other device (phones , modems). The ADSL output must obviously be connected to the modem / router and the PHONE output must be connected to all the phones in your house (parallel configuration is fine... as long as it comes AFTER the splitter).

Bottom Line: MAIN LINE >>> SPLITTER >>> ADSL + PHONE

Back