BSNL or Jio FTTH- Which one is better for gaming?

avoid BSNL. I am just applied for connection. No one came for installation but they generated 1500/- bill using my application details.
I feel sorry for you. I had the same thing happen to me around 6 years back. I went to the BSNL office and they said that my connection has been activated. I asked how, no one came to my home. Billing starts before installation in BSNL.

I feel sorry for you. I had the same thing happen to me around 6 years back. I went to the BSNL office and they said that my connection has been activated. I asked how, no one came to my home. Billing starts before installation in BSNL.
This month 3rd I got the bill by mail. I went also to BSNL office and asked, they said give me a letter we will forward to concerned officer. But still I am getting the payment due remainder messages from BSNL.

I'm in the same situation.
Coming from 1mbps and 2mbps, anything over that is absolutely fine as long as the speed is consistent. Main concern is the ping/latency that directly affects the gaming.
I'm also located in a village and the only option here is BSNL FTTH. In the past, I have had success stories with BSNL as far as gaming is concerned, but their service?

So my Hathway 3-month plan is expiring tomorrow and I was thinking of switching to either BSNL or Jio. Last 3 months with Hathway has been pretty decent. Uptime was fantastic- only 2-3 times during this period the connection was out and they usually notify for their scheduled maintenance which usually takes place at midnight. Speed is also very good. Getting advertised 50 mbps down and 25 mbps from direct links through IDM. But, latency to European servers I am afraid is not satisfactory. I play CS on some german servers and ping hovers around 150-160 on good days and 180-190 on bad days. Will this be better on BSNL or Jio? Lower latency is my main aim here. Another thing with Hathway is, when the connection is idle for a while it becomes very slow. Like after turning on the router (my own) and their ONT in morning the browsing experience is fast but within few mins it becomes sluggish. Needless to say, when on PC I always am enforced to use goodbyedpi script because most torrent sites and then some are blocked otherwise.

I made the imp. points bold for your convenience. Kindly advise.
BSNL imho is really hopeless. Very high latency in my area. And when it goes down, unless you know the local lineman well, there isn’t any other customer asssistance.

So my Hathway 3-month plan is expiring tomorrow and I was thinking of switching to either BSNL or Jio. Last 3 months with Hathway has been pretty decent. Uptime was fantastic- only 2-3 times during this period the connection was out and they usually notify for their scheduled maintenance which usually takes place at midnight. Speed is also very good. Getting advertised 50 mbps down and 25 mbps from direct links through IDM. But, latency to European servers I am afraid is not satisfactory. I play CS on some german servers and ping hovers around 150-160 on good days and 180-190 on bad days. Will this be better on BSNL or Jio? Lower latency is my main aim here. Another thing with Hathway is, when the connection is idle for a while it becomes very slow. Like after turning on the router (my own) and their ONT in morning the browsing experience is fast but within few mins it becomes sluggish. Needless to say, when on PC I always am enforced to use goodbyedpi script because most torrent sites and then some are blocked otherwise.

I made the imp. points bold for your convenience. Kindly advise.
Switching ISP might reduce the latency by 10-15ms. Beyond that, it can’t be done due to the physical distance between Europe and India.

Another thing about Jio Fibre -

You won't be getting a unique public IP address. It uses Carrier-grade NAT (CG-NAT). Therefore hosting anything on your internet connection would be a PITA or even impossible.

I do not understand the security issues in CG-NAT very well but from what I have read online, much more data monitoring of your home network is possible in CG-NAT. For eg, in Jio connection, you can see all connected devices, their MAC addresses etc. from your Jio Account. It means Jio can see your home network devices.

In regular Ethernet cable to home connections, your home network is behind your router's firewall and the ISP only sees your Router's MAC address.

Last edited:
Jio is not good. It does deep packet inspection so to visit blocked site you have to use a VPN. Plus their ipv6 implementation is also bad.
Mostly I have found local ISP and ACT to be the best.

I am remaining with Hathway till date. Read a lot of negative reviews of BSNL and I am not taking my chances with LCO crap. For Jio too I haven't read any positive news regarding latency. My Hathway plan is expiring next week. Now what's exciting (or not) is that airtel has started offering their fibre here. Which is insane as even within Kolkata they only cater to the posh areas and I am in an adjacent town! I tried to check whether they are taking my address for their connection availability and sure they sent me a text back saying connection is not feasible in my area at present. Further I contacted their Nodal officer, and she also ran my PIN and said connection at present is not available! But all around my neighbourhood they are setting up airtel connection and leaflets are flying all over. I called such a person from one of of those leaflet and he said they are giving connection, when I asked how come you are able to provide connection when airtel doesn't confirm the same, he replies they are rolling it out in a phased manner. I further asked whether this will be a direct or LCO involved connection, to which he said it will be direct without any LCO.

Now I don't know! I took a photo of one of these boxes they are setting up, can anything be inferred from this? The cable coming out of that box also has Bharti Airtel 24F printed on them! Any advice? I really wanna take airtel as it's a long time dream for me (heard so many positive reviews about them) but I am not even sure who is providing this connection and I will die before that LCO crap again.

From the looks of the Junction box, it does seem Airtel.
You can ask the guy about billing, if it is prepaid then it is LCO based, if postpaid then it's through direct Airtel.
As simple as that.

From the looks of the Junction box, it does seem Airtel.
You can ask the guy about billing, if it is prepaid then it is LCO based, if postpaid then it's through direct Airtel.
As simple as that.
He said for 499 plan installation charge of 1000 is needed. For 799 one has to pay for three months in advance, no extra installation charge in that case.
What do you mean if postpaid then direct through airtel? These plans are all prepaid right, regardless of service provider be it Jio or airtel or someone else it's always prepaid I thought!

These plans are all prepaid right, regardless of service provider be it Jio or airtel or someone else it's always prepaid I thought!
Let me explain it in a simpler way.
Majority of the ISPs in India are prepaid that is recharge based, you pay for a plan and use it till it's validity.
Airtel and ACT are Postpaid, they charge you monthly like a Postpaid Plan irrespective of whether you use it or not.
To compete with Jio, Airtel is following LCO based model in newer cities where it is expanding.
Another way of checking whether your connection is through LCO or direct through Airtel, is the availability of 1 Gbps plan. It is not available in LCO cities.

Yes, I get what you are trying to say but do you pay to Airtel or ACT after a month's (or quarter's or year's) usage or before? If you use first and then pay the bill then definitely it's postpaid, but if you pay before then obviously it's prepaid. What you mean that the operator will charge irrespective of usage is called FIXED CHARGES. Like how BSNL was. If one doesn't pay they simply disconnect the service in a week or month depending on the operator.

And yes, they are providing all the plans including the 1 Gbps one.

Yes, I get what you are trying to say but do you pay to Airtel or ACT after a month's (or quarter's or year's) usage or before? If you use first and then pay the bill then definitely it's postpaid, but if you pay before then obviously it's prepaid. What you mean that the operator will charge irrespective of usage is called FIXED CHARGES. Like how BSNL was. If one doesn't pay they simply disconnect the service in a week or month depending on the operator.

And yes, they are providing all the plans including the 1 Gbps one.
After a month in my case. Postpaid plans are different. They give around 10-12 days after bill generation within which to pay your bill.

After a month in my case. Postpaid plans are different. They give around 10-12 days after bill generation within which to pay your bill.
Thanks for confirming this. I had no clue airtel offers a post-pay option for their broadband plans. Thought all operators only have pre-pay plans for broadband. Hmm this is new to me.

Does anyone play CS on European servers here, Germany especially? I was fine with Hathway till now but for past one month the latency on server 31.214.240.247 has gone totally berserk. Just an hour ago it was 230 ms. Previously it used to be 150-ish. I am not sure what the heck is going on. There is no problem with Singapore or Mumbai servers if that matters.

Should I move to Jio or something, do they still ask 1500 security deposit? Regarding that LCO-provided airtel connection I still haven't got any feedback of it. Asked a few on FB who is using the same but the moment I ask them to run few ping tests they go away and never come back. Obviously these are laptop using people with Wifi- which they think as some type of internet provider.

If it's usually fine and has recently spiked, that's mostly a routing issue. It can be temporary, due to an outagesomewhere or a permanent change. Either way, very hard to determine which, since it's almost impossible to get in touch with the actual network engineers and support doesn't know wtf you're talking about if you mention ping and routing.

If it's usually fine and has recently spiked, that's mostly a routing issue. It can be temporary, due to an outagesomewhere or a permanent change. Either way, very hard to determine which, since it's almost impossible to get in touch with the actual network engineers and support doesn't know wtf you're talking about if you mention ping and routing.
Thanks. Everything else seems fine. Downloading gives full speed, and Mumbai and Singapore pings in CS are also fine, but just this server I practice at! If I check pings through website (the one which comes by searching CS Go ping test) then it has not changed, shows 160-170 for Frankfurt but on the aforesaid server it's all messed up! Actually, sometimes the pings are fine, for example just did a tracert right now (2:20 am) and it shows 147 ms! But when I usually play around 10-11 pm it goes above 200! Screenshots attached from both at the time of high ping problem and the one I did just now.

One thing I have noticed is, Hathway usually provides two types of IP addresses upon each connection establishment, a 115/116 series one and a 203 series one. Now I keep rebooting my router till I get the 115/116 series one as I read somewhere that those are better for routing compared to 203 series! I am not even sure whether that info was correct! Also, I use Google's DNS, not Hathway's, but I am doing that from the beginning anyway.

Attachments

• Awful ping.png
    Awful ping.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Routing.PNG
    Routing.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 90
Then it's probably a routing issue due to load. Nothing you can do about it.
The IP series doesn't generally matter, neither does the DNS.

You could try using a VPN and experimenting with servers to see if there's one that provides a lower overall ping. e.g. your ISP routing might go through a very indirect route for a DE IP, but might have a more direct route to an IP in Oman etc.

Back