CPU/Mobo BSOD due to fault in Motherboard.

Wolverine

Disciple
Hey everyone, i am currently using a system with following specs:
AMD Phenom II 550 BE
MSI 790GX-G65
4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz/ 2GB Kingston DDR3 1333 Mhz
Nvidia 8500GT 512MB
Aos 22' LCD

I have been experiencing BSOD due to some hardware error for a while now. Earlier,the system crashed if heavy applications were used n it would go on crashing very frequently after that. Normal Applications such as Movies n Music would normally run pretty smooth but then after few days the crashing wld start again. i had earlier overclocked the CPU n had tried unlocking unused cores but had then restored everything back to normal the system was running pretty fine. I thought there was a memory problem n i replaced my earlier 2gb kingston stick with the current one but the problem still perisists. infact now i have crashes within minutes of winndows loading and n thus my pc's rendered useless.
it happens with either of the RAM sticks put in. I have tried removing the Graphics Card but in vain. BSOD still shows Hardware Error. The rig's almost 2 n half yrs old now. n i am facing this problem since last Oct. i have few enquiries..
What cld be the problem ( It's driving me nuts:mad::mad:)

Could the fault lie in mobo?

No RMA possible since the warranty has expired. so can the motherboard be repaired? MSI people have asked me get it checked at their service centre in lamington?

Any kind of help wld be appreciated.

@Wolverine check for RAM modules for error(s) first by downloading this application -->Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and putting it on a pen-drive / optical media and then booting and running / initializing the same.

Check for OS related issues by trying to run the system with a Linux live-disc for extended time-periods.

If all this fails try to install the latest driver updates and flash the motherboard BIOS with the latest release.

And if this last step fails then we are talking about some other components failing as well.

By the way which SMPS are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolverine check for RAM modules for error(s) first by downloading this application -->Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and putting it on a pen-drive / optical media and then booting and running / initializing the same.

Check for OS related issues by trying to run the system with a Linux live-disc for extended time-periods.

If all this fails try to install the latest driver updates and flash the motherboard BIOS with the latest release.

And if this last step fails then we are talking about some other components failing as well.

By the way which SMPS are you using?

I have reinstalled the os several times..should try linux and see. i will run the tests today n let u know. I have Cooler Mater Elite 335 Cabinet which came with a CM 400W SMPS.
I have not updated the bios for quite some time..shall do it today. BTW..if memtest does show module error...then what options do i have?

I have reinstalled the os several times..should try linux and see. i will run the tests today n let u know. I have Cooler Mater Elite 335 Cabinet which came with a CM 400W SMPS.
I have not updated the bios for quite some time..shall do it today. BTW..if memtest does show module error...then what options do i have?

Replace the RAM modules ASAP. As you have two different memory modules, run the pass at-least seven times on individual module and then both together to isolate the issue(s).

i bought the corsair module only last month.....both modules don't show any problems in one pass although i'll run 7 passes in each module as u mentioned. i flashed my BIOS with the latest version but now i get BSOD as soon as windows logo appears..MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_AREA,IRQL_NOT_EQUAL, are some of the common reason i get from BSOD along with 'your system encountered an uncorrectable hardware error'.

Did you installed any driver update or any application recently?
Check the event viewer for possible errors by noting the bsod time.

Just For your Information, Corsair Memory is not Well Suported by AMD, I dont Know, 1 or 2 times, I came problem with AMD & Corsair, but Problem solved just replacing with Gskill Memory.

Just For your Information, Corsair Memory is not Well Suported by AMD, I dont Know, 1 or 2 times, I came problem with AMD & Corsair, but Problem solved just replacing with Gskill Memory.

Is that so? Me using corsair on amd since long time and also many others and i dont think so that there is any compatibility issue with either.
Do support with some true facts if you are saying so.

it seems that none of the Corsair's 4GB memory is supported by your MSI Motherboard... that could be the cause of the issue..

Replace your RAM with the ones mentioned in the support list: MSI India ? Mainboard - 790GX-G65
@gcbeldar never faced that problem.... been using Corsair Memory & AMD together for 3 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
been away for a while. anyway...i ran the memtest diagnostic tool with around 8 passes each for both the rams..both seems to be working fine. i gave up and took the mobo to the MSI service centre in lamington and they said they'll look after the matter. Later they said that even though the warranty's expired they would consider it for rma and are offering me 790FX-GD70 as a replacement. i guess that's good enough deal. suggestions?

Also i am planning to buy a new graphics card since my 8500gt got fried up and the mentioned mobo has no onboard graphics. budget is 8k. so kindly suggest..and on the last note thank you everyone for the help.
regards.

Back