BSOD Problem on new rig :(

UPDATE: updated the BIOS a couple of hours back. no crash yet. will report back incase something happens or doesnt happen.

Old msg:

Alright I have assembled a new rig for myself which is giving me BSOD's and is totally frustrating!

MY rig's specifications are:

Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP Rev 2.1

AMD Phenom 7750+

Corsair XMS 2x2 GB Ram (currently running on 1 stick but the problem persists)

PSU - Powersafe 600W

HDD - Seagate 320 GB 7200.12

Alright There are primarily 2 BSOD 'codes' I get when the BSOD screen comes (And it comes anytime it wishes, it can be 5 mins after windows Xp Sp3 loads or 8 hours later)

1st error - 0x1000000a (0x00000017, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8052879d)

2nd error - 0x0000007f (0x0000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I think during the 2nd error I also see the line IRQL_NOT_Less_Equal but not during the 1st error.

I tried using a different PSU, disabling realtek onboard sound drivers but still same error.

I have also attached the mini-dump of the crash that just happened right now. gave me the 1st error this time.

Not sure what to do now :(

Edit: Have run memtest for nearly 12 hours and not found any errors on either stick. Ran OCCT as well and no errors there either.

Attachments

• Mini052209-01.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 97
ok , trust me BSOD's are hard to figure out.......1st thing u need to begin with is 'http://www.memtest.org/' test out the rams first.....set bios to "factory defaults" and disconnect unwanted hardware from the pc....post results.

thetechmind said:
ok , trust me BSOD's are hard to figure out.......1st thing u need to begin with is 'http://www.memtest.org/' test out the rams first.....set bios to "factory defaults" and disconnect unwanted hardware from the pc....post results.

oh should have mentioned that as well.

Did run memtest on both sticks and also on single sticks for 4 hours each. thats a total of 12 hours. Zero Errors.

Ran occt as well no errors there either.

It would be alot better if you do the debugging urself.

Download WinDBG - Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview

Once installed open application and put this in 'Symbol File Path'. This will have to be do everytime you debug.

Code:
[B]SRV*C:\symbols*[url]http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols[/url][/B]

Open Crash dump -> Point to file -> Let it load -> Click on !analyze -v -> Copy output and post here

If it asks to save on workspace or something like that, click on no

Why don't you try updating the BIOS to the latest one??

(I've got similar BSOD issues in two of my systems & updating the bios to the latest version helped. Both were having similar symptioms as you've mentioned..)

This is the problem of ntoskrnl.exe (missing or corrupt).

Cause:

1. Keyboard issue

2. Miscellaneous corruption

3. Corrupt boot.ini file.

4. Missing boot.ini file.

5. Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file.

6. Windows NT installed on a partition bigger then 7.8GB

7. Corrupted hard disk drive or severely corrupted Windows.

Solution:-

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

hmmm..can u multiboot with a new fresh OS with all latest drivers from the proper manufactures website and then check if the issue re-occurs....

Boot a Ubuntu CD and run it through its paces, if it seems ok, then a Windows issue. Also check if your HDD is in SATA/ Compatibility mode, that could be an issue.

P.S. Did you do a fresh install on the new PC or just took the HDD from the old PC and put it in?

rahulyo said:
This is the problem of ntoskrnl.exe (missing or corrupt).

Cause:

1. Keyboard issue
2. Miscellaneous corruption
3. Corrupt boot.ini file.
4. Missing boot.ini file.
5. Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file.
6. Windows NT installed on a partition bigger then 7.8GB
7. Corrupted hard disk drive or severely corrupted Windows.

Solution:-

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

Ya i just saw that!

The only reason i can possibly think it could be a problem is because of a 'corrupt hard disk'.

thetechmind said:
hmmm..can u multiboot with a new fresh OS with all latest drivers from the proper manufactures website and then check if the issue re-occurs....

Yes i have installed windows windows xp sp3 on a fresh new hard drive now. Latest drivers have been installed as well (minus the realtek sound drivers for now since i am using my sound card).
also installed a couple of additional drivers from the microsoft updates website.
Will see if the error is replicated here as well.

edit: how exactly do i solve the NTOSKRNL.EXE problem??? cant really seem to find a fix. found a microsoft support page for NTOSKRNL.EXE problems on Windows 2000 but the hotfix itself was unavailable.

m0h1t said:
It would be alot better if you do the debugging urself.
Download WinDBG - Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview

Once installed open application and put this in 'Symbol File Path'. This will have to be do everytime you debug.
Code:
[B]SRV*C:\symbols*[url]http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols[/url][/B]

Open Crash dump -> Point to file -> Let it load -> Click on !analyze -v -> Copy output and post here
If it asks to save on workspace or something like that, click on no

here is the analyze -v txt:

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:
Use '!findthebuild' command to search for the target build information.
If the build information is available, run '!findthebuild -s ; .reload' to set symbol path and load symbols.

MODULE_NAME: nt

FAULTING_MODULE: 804d7000 nt

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 48a40463

READ_ADDRESS: unable to get nt!MmSpecialPoolStart
unable to get nt!MmSpecialPoolEnd
unable to get nt!MmPoolCodeStart
unable to get nt!MmPoolCodeEnd

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt+5179d
8052879d 0fb64718 movzx eax,byte ptr [edi+18h]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 80545d4c to 8052879d

STACK_TEXT:
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
80551450 80545d4c 00000000 0000000e 00000000 nt+0x5179d
80551454 00000000 0000000e 00000000 00000000 nt+0x6ed4c
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt+5179d
8052879d 0fb64718 movzx eax,byte ptr [edi+18h]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt+5179d

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.exe

BUCKET_ID: WRONG_SYMBOLS

Followup: MachineOwner

so why not install fresh another new copy xp cd with sp2 or sp3

from your friend where u can borrow for repair pc while boot up windows cd

or update to vista if u want it is fast safe and secure and auto-repair

I have installed another copy of XP SP3 and am having the same issue there as well!
I have two hard disks and on both i get the same error! and I have two different copies of XP Sp3. One with updates and one without any recent updates and a few other things!

UPDATE: updated the BIOS a couple of hours back. no crash yet. will report back incase something happens or doesnt happen.

^ I cant seem to figure out the cause by looking at the windbg log.

An IRQL can be caused by may things, bad drivers, OS incompatibility bug, etc

Since you have already done memtest, bad ram is eliminated..

If the BIOS update doesn't fix the issue PM KingKrool, see what he has to say also post the log at bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Also add the initial part of the log where ot says IRQL, Arg1, Arg2 ,etc..

^^ thanks for the link and the advice :)..

XP hasn't crashed yet. been quite a few hours now! transferred files, watched a movie, multi-tasked, pretty much the normal stuff and no crash.

will revert incase it crashes :D

Update: Windows seems to be stable now. I guess and as udit pointed out, the CPU wasnt completely compatible with the older bios causing the crash.

You used your usb flash drive here and when i switched on my pc with the 1640 after you left, my PC froze for the first time since i dunno when while playing a DVD. :S

Virus scan threw up 2-3 rogues- deleted- no issues now i think. :)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
You used your usb flash drive here and when i switched on my pc with the 1640 after you left, my PC froze for the first time since i dunno when while playing a DVD. :S

it couldn't have been my pen drive. IYRC it was in an unformated state and I had to format it when i connected the pen drive to your pc. Only then could i begin copying files from your comp.

BIKeINSTEIN said:

The Sorcerer said:
[OT] Congrats chicken man :D. But its high time you update your siggy.

Done!!
Thanks for the reminder!

Back