Btech vs BCA + MCA

titanium556

Disciple
Which is a better career option? Since I'm taking Commerce in 11th, as PCM is hard, but still deciding. If I take commerce, then I'll have to go for BCA + MCA. But I want to know which job would give me a higher salary. Please help

BCA ,MCA is more towards programming/developer
Btech / Mtech is overall techniCal studies. Salary depends on experience and skills but both degree are popular among IT people

A degree in itself will not mean much unless you have good campus placements from the college you join. And salary/job depends a lot on the initial placement. You start at 5 lacs a annum, then half the work is done.

After that, it come down to your skills (many will say)/luck( as I feel)

I did my engineering in IT and then went on to join a company in Pune in 2006. Since the last seven odd years, I have come across a variety of people some very successful, some not so, and it a total mix when you see it.

More is the technologies you work on, the project you get. Salary again in a function of them along with the number of jumps you make.

But one thing is, I disagree the PCM is hard. If that is hard, then some of the computational theories are even harder. Typically a good engineering college are more numerous than a good MCA college and placements are more likely with a engineering college than a MCA college.

I did my bca then a 6 month diploma from cdac. its been 9 years since I got my first job offer.

my advise to you: suck it up, take PCM and get a btech/be. PCM is not that hard.
btw, my stream in inter was MBiPC. And my parents wanted me to become a doctor.:wideyed:

I am a BCA graduate, many of my friends got on-campus placements in software testing/developing profiles in companies like iGate, HCL, TCS, Wipro while some of my friends are pursuing MCA.
In my opinion, one factor which should be taken into consideration is from where you do your Btech/MCA BCA because the quality of teaching matters a lot. I have seen Btech doing really well in their respective fields and I have also come across Btech's who are looking for a BPO job because they don't know their subjects well and are in desperate need of a job.
In the end, your own knowledge, experience matters a lot. I would say there is a thin line between a Btech and a MCA.

How much salary can I expect after completing just BCA?
Nothing.. Zero salary..
Studying something or earning a degree doesnt pay you.. You still have to find a job that suits your skill set.

Having said that, BCA is still a bachelors degree and you will end up joining in a job level much lower (2 levels lower in case of Infosys/TCS) than your Btech counterparts. BCA+MCA = Btech in terms of IT industry job bands.. Again, doing MCA will not earn you a salary unless you earn a job during your course through campus selection.

Try to get into a course that you are interested in and cultivate your skills. Try appearing for interviews - On/Off campus. If in case you end up in a college with no campus selection, remember that you have to work 2x more to earn a job and strengthen your programming skill set as the outside campus interviews are tougher and programming oriented compared to the the campus selections.

Last but not the least, salary = hardwork + luck and salary != degree.

I am a B.E. (EXTC) 2010 passout from Mumbai and trends I have seen are:
The average salary offered to B.E. freshers in campus placements from most Mumbai engg. colleges is ~3 Lakhs p.a. (by mostly IT MNCs)
Also, no matter which field you do your BE/BTech, IT MNCs are always ready to ABSORB you(like Chemical Engg, Mechanical Engg, etc):facepalm:
There are some companies like JP Morgan Chase, etc. which offer starting salaries in the range of 5~10 Lakhs p.a. :woot: but they conduct campus drives in one or two colleges only and that too, select max. one or two candidates....

P.S.: I wasn't placed in campus drives due to KTs/lower semester aggregate% :rage: ... so did a 6 months diploma in Embedded Systems and got a job in an automotive MNC in the end of 2010...

Back