CPU/Mobo Budget AMD based CPU + Mobo

sri_rng

Adept
My old X2 3600+ pins are bent :( So I think it's gone. Anyway wanted to go for a new system..

I have a M2N MX mobo too, I think it will go for sale if new processors are incompatible with it..

Have zeroed in Athlon II X2 240 as of now.. How does it compare to X2 7750 BE? I think I can use 7750 BE on my old mobo :S

I have a 1x1GB DDR2 533 and 1x1GB DDR2 667 RAMs.. Should I sell these too and go for a 800/1066 MHz RAM?

I will mostly be going for a graphics card in the near future, so I don't want to spend a lot on mobo for IGP unnecessarily.

Please suggest me motherboards with prices.. I don't overclock and was more than happy with my 3600+ :)

Awaiting your responses..

thw 240 is better in terms of performance and has lower power consumption. Not too sure about the compatibility of the processor with your mobo though...

^ MSI 785GM-E51@ 4500 is the cheapest DDR3 memory based board available in market. There is no idea purchasing any AMD DDR2 based board like Bioster / Gigabyte 785G in price range of 3.5K to 4.5K.

In cheap at 2.3K price ASUS M2N 68 AM (DDR2) support almost every AMD CPU including AM3 Quad-Core CPU. Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 DDR2 is also a good option @ 2.8k

Instead of AIIX2 240, consider AIIX3 425. The later is a little more future proof and costs just 1K more.

For a board, consider going for a cheap entry level DDR3 board which should come near 3.5K.

OK guys.. can extend budget a lil bit now :)

Was looking at Athlon II X4 620 and Phenom II X2 550 BE. How will a lack of L3 cache in the former affect me?

Also is it better to go for a DDR2 or a DDR3 motherboard?

If I can save 1k on mobo and 1k on RAM (compared to DDR3), I can have 2GB more RAM than the DDR3 set. Is it a better option?

sri_rng said:
OK guys.. can extend budget a lil bit now :)

Was looking at Athlon II X4 620 and Phenom II X2 550 BE. How will a lack of L3 cache in the former affect me?

For EVERYTHING with the exception of playing games released BEFORE Crysis, the Athlon II X4 620 outperforms Phenom II X2 550BE.

Newer DirectX 11 games will run better on 620 than 550BE.

I seriously recommend 620.

Also is it better to go for a DDR2 or a DDR3 motherboard?

If I can save 1k on mobo and 1k on RAM (compared to DDR3), I can have 2GB more RAM than the DDR3 set. Is it a better option?

DDR3 will be future proof. Besides you would not sorely need 4GB RAM for the kind of things you will be doing. You can buy 2GB more when the prices reduce more next year (they are already falling at a radically high pace with cost difference being just 0.3k per GB at some stores).

Have zeroed in on AII X2 620 for processor.. Worried about motherboard!

Gigabyte MA 785GM - US2H is 5k here. Is it worth the price?

What's the difference in performance b/w 780,790 and 785 chipsets?

I don't require HDMI too.. So a basic motherboard which supports the 620 should be fine.

Also mATX or ATX? which is preferred?

Going to buy tomorrow, please advise..

Also, will stock PSUs work fine or do I need to go for coolermaster/corsair?

The RAMs are 2.3k/2GB - Corsair XMS2.. 5-5-5-18.. Any better deal?

if u really want a gr8 mobo, just get the ASUS 785G EVO @ 6.7k...best mobo in class...

And 785G chipset features a HD4200 DX10.1 IGP, and the mobo comes with SB710/750 which all support core and other unlocking ACC etc.

ATX is gr8 but ur case shud be roomy enuf...

Well, the MSI E63 @ 5.6k is the best deal for the price, with all solid capacitors and the 128MB side port memory too...

Back