Budget CCTV setup for outdoors (DIY Kind of)

Hi,

I want to install cctv in the parking on my building. With the recent event happened with my bike where almost all its wiring had been cut by some miscreant I cant depend upon the hopeless security provided by the society.

Lower it costs the better. Max I can spend right now is 5k.
I want feed to get downloaded on my PC thereby eliminating need of DVR.

Plan is to go with single camera for closed parking where I park my bike, but if needed i'll add another cam for the car which is parked in open.

Distance from cam to PC would be roughly 50 meters since I stay at the top floor of multistory building.

Considering ur budget and use i would recommend u an IP camera.
for closed bike parking - Tenvis Pan tilt JPT3815W IP.
for open car parking - Tenvis WATERPROOF IP391W
reviews of both cameras are available in youtube

No chance over 20ft. The wireless transreceiver in IP cameras is miniscule and needs a nice strong signal. Mine doesn't work 40ft from the router without a repeater in the network. You may need 2 or a wired AP.

No chance over 20ft. The wireless transreceiver in IP cameras is miniscule and needs a nice strong signal. Mine doesn't work 40ft from the router without a repeater in the network. You may need 2 or a wired AP.

wifi wont workout for sure for tat range. he must use a lan cable. forgot to mention tat

So one option is wired IP cam ... I'll talk to local guys who fit cctv n see if they have some solution in the budget ...

if u want cctv cameras u can go for these if u want to compromise the quality of image

car parking - http://www.ebay.in/itm/1x-CCTV-Outd...203&hash=item1c3330fcab&_uhb=1#ht_1143wt_1139

bike parking - http://www.ebay.in/itm/1-3-cmos-420..._203&hash=item35c0a2d6ae&_uhb=1#ht_2893wt_906

usb dvr - http://www.ebay.in/itm/EASYCAP-002-..._203&hash=item35c6c274e5&_uhb=1#ht_4071wt_906

Thanks for the links. I'm not convinced about USB DVR thing, there are no reviews of it on the web. The cams sure looks vfm though they have only seller warranty...

How would you protect the camera itself? I feel most CCTV cameras along with power delivery system look conspicuous and invite trouble.

If there is a provision for camera protection, you might be able to use old hardware (or buy it cheap second hand) :
1. An old wireless router in repeater configuration
2. An old Android phone with a CCTV application, full time charger attached. I see interesting applications on market - e.g. one application uploads periodic snapshots to Picasa. There is one that promises to send to your PC, but there is some non-trivial setup.

Good thing is that you can try most of the setup without buying anything - just test with your own / borrowed Android phone and home network inside your home first. Once testing and setup is done, only then you need to acquire repeater and old Android phone and install. Being general purpose devices, easy to use for other purposes later or sell off.

I thought about camera theft too, hence chucked the idea for now ... Thinking of building metal cage of 4x8x6.5 feet to park the bike ... It sounds more secure than the cctv ...

Back