hi,

i'm looking for a budget pc for the following tasks:

primary task:

1) download 24/7.

secondary tasks with occasional/minimal multitasking involved:

1) MS Office and photo printing

2) browsing, email, youtube.

2) skype video chat

3) music/radio and maybe, just maybe DVD movies.

not much more, i guess. no games, etc. OS: XP, gOS (lightweight ubuntu)

Required components:cpu, mobo, ram, cabinet

budget - i cant budget since i dont know prices very well. i'm keeping 5-9 k, hope thats ok.

important consideration - low power consumption.

as i said, i hope ive budgeted properly. unfortunately i am completely unaware of cpus and motherboards, so dont really know what im looking for. i checked newegg for reviews etc. and seem to like semprons/celeron etc. for their price and fit. (e.g. these amd single core semprons are cheap, consume less power and have good reviews.)

will these semprons/atoms/celerons etc. be able to do my downloading job? youtube/dvd/skype video chat too? whats their availability in india? checked primeabgb site, werent listed there.

suggestions please, keeping in mind my requirements.

thanks muchly!

Processor: AMD Sempron 140 - 1.8k(for a bit more power)
Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM PLUS - 2.3k
RAM: Transcend 2GB DDR2 800 MHz - 1.8k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli ATX w/ bundled 400W SMPS - 1.7k
Total: ~7.5k. This gives you a bit more power as you have 2GB of RAM. Also the sempron config allows to add HDD's later whereas in a Atom setup you cant add HDD and the options are limited. You can also go for a 1GB DDRII RAM and save 800rs.

Processor: Intel E5300 - 3.3k ( For more power )
Motherboard: Gigabyte G31ME-S2L - 2.5k
Total: 9.3k

Karthi007 said:
Processor: AMD Sempron 140 - 1.8k(for a bit more power)

Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM PLUS - 2.3k

Total: ~7.5k. This gives you a bit more power as you have 2GB of RAM. Also the sempron config allows to add HDD's later whereas in a Atom setup you cant add HDD and the options are limited. You can also go for a 1GB DDRII RAM and save 800rs.

Either the suggested config or just replace mobo and cpu with following if you want a faster pc:

Processor: AMD AthlonII X2-240 - 3k

Motherboard: Biostar A785GE - 3.3k

Total ~ 9.7k

Its much better than the intel config suggested above, as the onboard HD4200 in A785GE will give a huge performance leap.

im going in with the sempron as suggested by karthi007. I'm not going for the suggestions by anubis and sato1986 since i dont want to spend the extra. thanks for the suggestions guys :hap2:

ill get the 2 gb ram. however i dont like the zebronics bijli box, checked it out at the local store. im looking for something smaller. a small box wih maybe one space for optical drive. none of the boxes in the store seemed to fit my requirement :(. they were all massive ones.

any ideas there?

ps: i need a smaller cabinet since the big ones with 3 drives wont get in the space ive designated for it under the table. no space for any other table, and i cant get rid of this one. ouch, seems like ive hit a roadblock! :S

Karthi007 said:
The smaller the cabinet the costlier it is. :D

can you recommend some model names? since i dont know what to look for and where to start from, i am unable to google something up.

my old desktop used to be a fujitsu siemens. small box, something like this and this.

also, ive a sata laptop hard disk that i intend to use for this new download pc. compatible with desktop motherboard sata?

thanks once again.

Hi,

a quick question before I go to buy the stuff later today.

I have found 2 potential cabinets for the pc - they are:

1)Sugo SG02B-F (cost 4800): this one is apparently a micro-atx motherboard

2) Iball nettop cabinet (cost 1400): this one is apparently a mini-itx motherboard

(i am using the word "apparently" since my understanding of micro and mini is unfortunately limited to the skirt scenario....dont have a clue what they mean in the context of motherboards)

now, i really would like to go with the sempron and the iball cabinet. and i am guessing to achieve that, the motherboard has to be a mini-itx motherboard for sempron processors.

very quickly, which is the best mini-itx mobo for semprons? (I am hoping there is one!) please mention the price too if you happen to know it, or else, just give me the name and i'll find it from the sellers.

i really hope this works out, otherwise ill be left with two alternatives im trying to avoid - 1) spend more $$ for the sugo cabinet + sempron and (2) spend less, but in the process get an underpowered atom + iball cabinet. (once again, ive space constraints so not considering outside of these two cabinets).

i'm heading out to buy in 2 hours. any replies would be appreciated. thanks again!

sasa110 said:
Hi,

a quick question before I go to buy the stuff later today.

I have found 2 potential cabinets for the pc - they are:

1)Sugo SG02B-F (cost 4800): this one is apparently a micro-atx motherboard

2) Iball nettop cabinet (cost 1400): this one is apparently a mini-itx motherboard

(i am using the word "apparently" since my understanding of micro and mini is unfortunately limited to the skirt scenario....dont have a clue what they mean in the context of motherboards)

now, i really would like to go with the sempron and the iball cabinet. and i am guessing to achieve that, the motherboard has to be a mini-itx motherboard for sempron processors.

very quickly, which is the best mini-itx mobo for semprons? (I am hoping there is one!) please mention the price too if you happen to know it, or else, just give me the name and i'll find it from the sellers.

i really hope this works out, otherwise ill be left with two alternatives im trying to avoid - 1) spend more $$ for the sugo cabinet + sempron and (2) spend less, but in the process get an underpowered atom + iball cabinet. (once again, ive space constraints so not considering outside of these two cabinets).

i'm heading out to buy in 2 hours. any replies would be appreciated. thanks again!

CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

Back