PC Peripherals Budget Laser/Inkjet printer with low running costs ?

Look for HP D1460 or D1560. These are discontinued and not easy to get but if you do get them they should be under 2K. They use HP21/HP22 cartridges which are a refiller's dream. Makes them very cheap to run.

Canon printers use PG40/CL41 cartridges which have high capacity but have not been as successful in the refilling department. Speaking from personal experience.

Emil said:
Look for HP D1460 or D1560. These are discontinued and not easy to get but if you do get them they should be under 2K. They use HP21/HP22 cartridges which are a refiller's dream. Makes them very cheap to run.
Canon printers use PG40/CL41 cartridges which have high capacity but have not been as successful in the refilling department. Speaking from personal experience.
How much pages can be printed in one such filling for medium quality prints??

sato1986 said:
Im using HP Deskjet F2235 (Printer-Scanner-Copier).
Love it for features, Scan quality, Print quality, refillable cartridges :)
Whats the price for new catridges?
how many pages can be printed with new cartridge in medium quality setting?

My requirement is 100 pages(blk&white) per month, which printer suits me best in long run?, Is it better to go for laser printer costing 6k? one of my friend told me that laser print can print 2000pages in a single re-fill is it true?

-=Unreal=- said:
How much pages can be printed in one such filling for medium quality prints??

Not sure. I think around 200 pages.

-=Unreal=- said:
Whats the price for new catridges?

how many pages can be printed with new cartridge in medium quality setting?

The F2235 AIO uses the same HP21/22 cartridges I mentioned. The HP21 costs around 730 and the 22 around 830. You can buy the combo(21+22) for around 1300/-

If you want an AIO, you can also consider the F2120 and F4185, which also use the same cartridge.

By the way, instead of HP21, you can also use HP21B which contains value ink and costs only 350/-

-=Unreal=- said:
My requirement is 100 pages(blk&white) per month, which printer suits me best in long run?, Is it better to go for laser printer costing 6k? one of my friend told me that laser print can print 2000pages in a single re-fill is it true?

For 100 pages a month, you are better off with inkjet. It is quite a small print volume. Consider laser if you do not need colour at all. Laser is preferred if the monthly print volume is large. In general, laser print will be sharper than inkjet. In my opinion, for your volume, the other important characteristic which might require you to choose laser is if you need the print copies to preserve longer and better.

^ ok thnx for replying, also pls suggest me a entry level laser printer which will be cheaper to run with low cost cartridges, becoz my printing volume may go up, and i dont need color printing.

suggest laser monochrome printer with win 7 suppport.

my humble laserjet 1010 which is in use since 2006 and printed lakhs of copies needs some rest.(and also it has no win 7 drivers for the same)

-=Unreal=- said:
^ ok thnx for replying, also pls suggest me a entry level laser printer which will be cheaper to run with low cost cartridges, becoz my printing volume may go up, and i dont need color printing.

@-=Unreal=- and paddydevil
This thread has been hijacked. I am sorry I responded in thread. It is unfair to the OP. He himself hasn't come back though.
Let's just leave this thread for the original question shall we?

^i dnt think so, OP with a single post is not going to come back he is long gone.

i dnt want to create another printer thread...so if u can pls suggest a entry level laser printer.

[mod]Posts moved to new thread[/mod]

The new kings of the hill among HP's inkjet cartridges are the HP 703 series cartridges : HP 703 Deskjet Ink Cartridges summary - HP products

Page yield as estimated by HP is 600 pages for the black / 250 pages for the colour.

Each cost Rs. 415. Thats about ~0.7paise/page for black and white prints.

At this time, the HP Deskjet D730 and the K109 are the only two printers that use this cartridge (HP F735 and K209 are the equivalent all-in-one models).

The D730 has supposedly been phased out and replaced by the K109.

However availability of either printer is a bit scarce out here in Chennai, not sure why.

Was pretty much in the same boat as you - wondering whether to go for an inkjet with low running costs or an entry level laser printer. Emil summed it up well in what should be your deciding factor. I needed the occasional colour print and won't be printing that much, so settling for the inkjet.

I might also add that laser printers are a bit bulky/heavy, so factor that in as well.

-=Unreal=- said:
^i dnt think so, OP with a single post is not going to come back he is long gone.
i dnt want to create another printer thread...so if u can pls suggest a entry level laser printer.
First of all, thanks Eddy for branching the thread.
Most VFM entry level printer AFAIK is the one from Xerox. Don't remember the model number. I'm not so familiar with lasers so wait for other replies too.

Crazy_Eddy said:
[mod]Posts moved to new thread[/mod]

The new kings of the hill among HP's inkjet cartridges are the HP 703 series cartridges : HP 703 Deskjet Ink Cartridges summary - HP products

Page yield as estimated by HP is 600 pages for the black / 250 pages for the colour.
Each cost Rs. 415. Thats about ~0.7paise/page for black and white prints.

At this time, the HP Deskjet D730 and the K109 are the only two printers that use this cartridge (HP F735 and K209 are the equivalent all-in-one models).
The D730 has supposedly been phased out and replaced by the K109.
However availability of either printer is a bit scarce out here in Chennai, not sure why.
Was pretty much in the same boat as you - wondering whether to go for an inkjet with low running costs or an entry level laser printer. Emil summed it up well in what should be your deciding factor. I needed the occasional colour print and won't be printing that much, so settling for the inkjet.
I might also add that laser printers are a bit bulky/heavy, so factor that in as well.
Yes those cartridges are fantastic for low running cost but that is all part of strategy. HP has already squeezed you when you buy those printers so they don't need to suck your blood for the cartridges. At the lower end, they sort of give away their printers and buy your soul. :)
Not just HP, they are all the same.
So bottom line: Consider those models which Eddy has specified if you have large volume colour printing. Otherwise they are not cost effective because they will have a big initial cost.

^ Yep exactly!

My apologies, I thought I mentioned the cost of the K109 earlier :ashamed:. Anyway, its ~4.1k, which is a bit expensive to start with.

The cheaper cartridges can offset the cost - but it all depends on the number of pages you expect to print per month.

As an eg:-

TCO for 100 pages / month after 2 yrs :-

HP D1560 - Rs. 5750/-

HP K109 - Rs. 5395/-

TCO with 200 pages / month after 2 yrs :-

HP D1560 - Rs. 9950/-

HP K109 - Rs. 7055/-

So you need to print atleast 100 pages a month, to expect the K109 to work out cheaper after 2 yrs. If you print more/use it longer, the Total Cost of Ownership is only going to drop further and further (significantly as you can see above).

One more thing, all the comparisons are done with genuine cartridge prices alone. Refilling will work out cheaper, but since it will equally affect both, I did not bother.

well i have been using the canon inkjet MX-308 for the last 1 year and it uses the pg-40/41 cartridges, i never had any problems refilling the black cartridge still using the same even after 1 year having done more than 7-8 refills

the hp20/21 are just 6 ml and c pg-40 is 18ml means 3 times the volume and more print output

i am extremely satisfied by its performance and refill costs yes i refill myself , never had any prob refilling it

as EMIL mentioned hp 20/21 are refilers dream - maybe its true but i never had any prob refilling pg-40 , i m speaking form my personal experience!!!

for ur budget i wud say canon mp-145 wud be great it uses the same canon pg40/41 cart its without fax , it was selling for 3200 shipped on ebay and many even bought this for 2700 shipped with the 500 off coupon , its a killer deal for its price!

just try on ebay if u can find the same!

for ur printing output ~100-200 pages a inkjet wud suffice and it wud give u a scanner as well,

nowadays all laser printers are chipped and the cost of resetting the chip increases the cost of refilling the toner

gone are the days of hp 1010 and 1018 which were unchipped and u can easily refill the toner without having to reset the chip

these r no longer available and its hard to find a laser printer which is unchiped

and for u i think a canon AIO MP-145 wud just be fine

cheers!!

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ Yep exactly!
My apologies, I thought I mentioned the cost of the K109 earlier :ashamed:. Anyway, its ~4.1k, which is a bit expensive to start with.
The cheaper cartridges can offset the cost - but it all depends on the number of pages you expect to print per month.

As an eg:-
TCO for 100 pages / month after 2 yrs :-
HP D1560 - Rs. 5750/-
HP K109 - Rs. 5395/-

TCO with 200 pages / month after 2 yrs :-
HP D1560 - Rs. 9950/-
HP K109 - Rs. 7055/-

So you need to print atleast 100 pages a month, to expect the K109 to work out cheaper after 2 yrs. If you print more/use it longer, the Total Cost of Ownership is only going to drop further and further (significantly as you can see above).
One more thing, all the comparisons are done with genuine cartridge prices alone. Refilling will work out cheaper, but since it will equally affect both, I did not bother.

Not really true. Refilling will tilt the equation in favour of the D1560 if you can manage to get your hands on it. The 703 cartridges are cheap to start with so the benefit of refilling is less.
Secondly, the HP21 has a brother called HP21B that costs just 350/- and can be used in place of the HP21. HP justifies the lower price by saying it is value ink and doesn't market it aggressively. IMO the so-called value ink is definitely better than a refill and is possibly the same standard ink that HP uses. They don't want you to know that or you wont buy the HP21 at 730/- :)
This completely tilts the TCO in favour of the D1560 for small print requirement.

^ Yep, I did calculate taking into account the cheaper 21b cartridge, since that is what the 703 will effectively be competing against.

The page yield and cost per page is what sets it apart. The 21b manages 200 pages with a cartridge cost of 350/- (Rs. 1.75/page), while the 703 manages 600 pages at a cart cost of 415/- (~0.7p/page).

As mentioned, I will recommend it only if your monthly print amount is 100 pages atleast, since thats the only way you can justify the initial Printer cost.

I re-checked and you're right.. refilling will throw the balance in favour of the D1460/1560. You would need to be printing something like ~300 pages a month to justify the costs on the K109 then.

So if you print atleast 100 pages a month and use genuine cartridges, the K109 would be a better choice.

If you refill and print < 200 pages a month, stick to the D1460/1560.

Why everyone is missing out XEROX Phaser 3117.
This one has got low printing cost and costs very less.great VFM.
Even samsung has got stylish and compact ones that doesnt burn your pocket.

Just FYI,
My HP21B depleted itself at just around 100 pages of plain A4 text:mad:. The good thing is that a 30 bucks refilling kit and 5 mins of effort got it up n running again:eek:hyeah:

mithun said:
Just FYI,

My HP21B depleted itself at just around 100 pages of plain A4 text:mad:. The good thing is that a 30 bucks refilling kit and 5 mins of effort got it up n running again:eek:hyeah:

That shouldn't happen. The HP21B capacity is the same as the HP21.

-=Unreal=- said:
I think Epson Stylus TX111 all in one is cheapest to run with original cartridge costing Rs 250 = 180pages.

Any other options?

True. There are 3 colour cartridges plus one black, each costing 250/- which is an advantage because you actually need to replace only one colour at a time. That is the T091 series. There is also the T073 series cartridegs that are about 400/- each and will fit in the same printer. They have higher capacity.

All that looks very good with paper calculations.

In real life, my personal experience with Epson has never been good. I first opted for Epson because their heads used peizo transducers and technically, I feel peizo technology should be more reliable than thermal technology. But the actual results were far different.

That's when I gave up Epson probably 6 to 7 years back. I have no reason to believe there is any improvement now.

I used to be against HP in those days because HP was known for paper jams. This is because their paper path has sharp bends so that paper can enter and exit from the front for convenience. Although HP has still retained that complex path, they have succeeded in making paper jams a thing of the past.

Canon has consistently been good and reliable but my experience with their current cartridges PG40 and CL41 is bad.

-=Unreal=- said:
I think Epson Stylus TX111 all in one is cheapest to run with original cartridge costing Rs 250 = 180pages.

Any other options?

i really want to thank you for mentioning this product...

i was really confused regarding HP....low cost AIO means high cost cartridge while only high cost (k209 for 7.8 K) comes with low cost cartridge...HP really seems to be exploiting customers at every end.....

epson stylus tx111 seems to be the best product in this segment (low usage of prints; but need AIO).....

costing just 3.2 k (ordered from authorized dealer for a home delivery) ....u get AIO (printer, scanner & copier)...

cartridge are also reasonably prices.....and what more...2 year warranty....

i think u can't get better than this in such a price.....

Emil said:
That shouldn't happen. The HP21B capacity is the same as the HP21.

True. There are 3 colour cartridges plus one black, each costing 250/- which is an advantage because you actually need to replace only one colour at a time. That is the T091 series. There is also the T073 series cartridegs that are about 400/- each and will fit in the same printer. They have higher capacity.

All that looks very good with paper calculations.

In real life, my personal experience with Epson has never been good. I first opted for Epson because their heads used peizo transducers and technically, I feel peizo technology should be more reliable than thermal technology. But the actual results were far different.

That's when I gave up Epson probably 6 to 7 years back. I have no reason to believe there is any improvement now.

I used to be against HP in those days because HP was known for paper jams. This is because their paper path has sharp bends so that paper can enter and exit from the front for convenience. Although HP has still retained that complex path, they have succeeded in making paper jams a thing of the past.

Canon has consistently been good and reliable but my experience with their current cartridges PG40 and CL41 is bad.

that seems a reasonable reply seeing your experience (but also it was 6-7 year back )...but i mean how can epson be so much bad in comparison to any other company be it HP or anyone else ?

the review of this product seems really favorable (except for slow speed of printing, but i guess a home user shouldn't be complaining about it).....

and nothing seems to able to beat the pros i mentioned above....

cyneuron said:
epson stylus tx111 seems to be the best product in this segment (low usage of prints; but need AIO).....

costing just 3.2 k (ordered from authorized dealer for a home delivery) ....u get AIO (printer, scanner & copier)...

cartridge are also reasonably prices.....and what more...2 year warranty....

i think u can't get better than this in such a price.....
I got my HP F2120 in end March and it cost me around Rs 2900/- home delivery.
This AIO uses the HP21/22 series. That is a big plus.

cyneuron said:
that seems a reasonable reply seeing your experience (but also it was 6-7 year back )...but i mean how can epson be so much bad in comparison to any other company be it HP or anyone else ?
sounds reasonable but see more of my comments below
cyneuron said:
the review of this product seems really favorable (except for slow speed of printing, but i guess a home user shouldn't be complaining about it).....

and nothing seems to able to beat the pros i mentioned above....
I have not come across anyone who has been happy with Epson reliability. For a home user, the performance may not be an issue as you rightly point out but reliability is. The printer will inherently die out long before the scanner does. Then you are left with a rather large scanner (an AIO with a dead printer) which you are reluctant to throw away and you go out and buy a printer only to complement your elephantine scanner.
I will also face this same situation some day with the F2120. But hopefully it will last longer than the TX111.
Secondly, my computer cabinet system is designed to optimize space usage so that I need access to the printer only from the front for just printing. On the other hand, on rare occasions, when I need to scan I need to pull it out on rails to gain top access. This means the drawer in which it sits has much less height than would be needed for the TX111.
Finally it is each ones individual need that helps decide.

Back