Budget 0-20k Budget Office RIG

1. What is your budget?
    • 15k or less
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • An very old P3 RIG
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 22" LCD
    • PSU - FSP Saga II 400W
    • Cabinet - Antec sonata
    • Seagate 500 GB SATA Hdd
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel G2020
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Accounting - Tally
    • Browsing
    • MS Office with little complicated Macros
  9. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 32/64 bit
    • Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I wanted to build a very tight budget office rig, So decided to use some of the components left with me unused. Will be using my old Antec sonata Case, an 22" dell lcd monitor, and a as good as new FSP Saga II 400W PSU. Hope this oldies suite to the new rig.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks.. Is this processor good enough for basic computing? As this system will be used for another decade.. And will the FSP Saga II 400W PSU go good with this config?

Last edited:
Thanks.. Is this processor good enough for basic computing? As this system will be used for another decade.. And will the FSP Saga II 400W PSU go good with this config?

> Yes, the PSU will be enough.

> If you intend to use the PC for ~10 years, I strongly (read: very very very very very very strongly) suggest to save some more cash and get a 3rd or 4th gen i3. G2020 will probable feel slow in ~5 years.

How old is the PSU? Entry level FSPs have higher than average ripple and use mediocre capacitors in the output sections and the combination leads to a very short lifespan.

> If you intend to use the PC for ~10 years, I strongly (read: very very very very very very strongly) suggest to save some more cash and get a 3rd or 4th gen i3. G2020 will probable feel slow in ~5 years.
Apart from the clock speed difference between the two processors, is there a reason why the G2020 should age faster than an i3? 4000 rupees for 400MHz more doesn't sound like value for money.

I am pretty sure the p3 office rig will be using office old addition might be 1997 or 2000.Intel g2020 will be able to handle the present generation office and tally doesn't require any rocket science type proccy.So i dont think after 5 years system would be slow. or something ,might happen PSU or RAM might die down but still similar setup will able to do job..
I go with eddy and system can easily last 7+years hoping voltage spikes doesn't damage the system.Give peference to PSU.

Thanks everyone.. Got following components

• CPU - Intel G2020
  • RAM - 4GB Corsair Value RAM 1600Mhz
  • LG DVD drive
  • TVS Gold KB

Now when assembling, I found that my PSU doesn't have the ATX 12v 2x4 pin.. Guess I should get a new PSU.. Please correct me if i'm wrong.. Also please suggest me a good PSU for this setup..

TY

Thanks everyone.. Got following components

• CPU - Intel G2020
  • RAM - 4GB Corsair Value RAM 1600Mhz
  • LG DVD drive
  • TVS Gold KB

Now when assembling, I found that my PSU doesn't have the ATX 12v 2x4 pin.. Guess I should get a new PSU.. Please correct me if i'm wrong.. Also please suggest me a good PSU for this setup..

TY
You need a 20+4 pin ATX connector.
Recommended PSU: Antec BP300.

You need a 20+4 pin ATX connector.
Recommended PSU: Antec BP300.

Well, my PSU has the 20+4 pin atx connector.. But it misses the 12v 2x4 8 pin connector.. Guess it is for the CPU.. My psu also has additional 4 pin and 6 pin connectors.. Also, if I have to get a new PSU, can I go for a Corsair VS450 as both are at same price at flipkart..

Last edited:
Well, my PSU has the 20+4 pin atx connector.. But it misses the 12v 2x4 8 pin connector.. Guess it is for the CPU.. My psu also has additional 4 pin and 6 pin connectors.. Also, if I have to get a new PSU, can I go for a Corsair VS450 as both are at same price at flipkart..

DO NOT get Corsair VS series PSUs. They are not at all good. If you want something good, get Antec VP450P available for 2600.

Yeah Avoid the VS and preferably any Corsair at the entry level. IMHO doesn't make much sense "side-grading" from one entry level FSP to another entry level FSP (Antec VP450). If you have the budget, get a Seasonic S12II since thats the cheapest from the recommended PSU list.

If your FSP Saga is in pristine condition i.e. less than 3 years and no dust buildup then you can still use it. The 4 pin ATX 12V connector will still work in the 8 pin slot. The 8-pin is to divide up the incoming current on the 12V rail for higher wattage processors like the i5/i7. The 6-pin is a PCI-e power connector for graphics cards.

A snippet from your motherboard manual :-
zTQplOH.gif

Indicates that the normal 4 pin connector will work fine in the lower half of the 8 pin socket. Don't worry about putting it in the wrong half since the connector shapes should help you slot it into the right half.

Back