Budget phone Nokia 100 or Nokia 1280 or Samsung E1220 for mother

Hello people,

i know in this tech forum people are generally talking about smartphones, ipods, etc. But i need advice on a cheap phone.

My mother needs a new phone, She just uses it for making and recieving calls and to see the time at night. no internet, no music, no FM, not even SMS.
My mother used a vodafone 345 that we had lying around GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more...vodafone_345_text-3300.php
for about an year. But that fell and screen got busted. new screen is not available anywhere. Also she did not like the small buttons. but she liked the big display that made the numbers on screen easy to read.

So now which of these would be reliable?

Nokia 1280 Price in India, Buy Nokia 1280, Reviews & Features, Nokia Mobiles India - Infibeam.com
Nokia 100 Price in India, Buy Nokia 100, Reviews & Features, Nokia Mobiles India - Infibeam.com
Samsung E1220 Guru Price in India, Buy Samsung E1220 Guru, Reviews & Features, Samsung Mobiles India - Infibeam.com

i have a nokia 1100 that is still running great, but ive heard that now entry level Nokia sets have voice clarity and echo issues. Is this true?
Has anyone used any of these phones. Which would you recommend within 2k.
just voice clarity and bigger number display on screen is required.

Get the Nokia 100 or the Nokia C1-01. Samsung interface will not be that intuitive to use. The Nokia 100 has one disadvantage though. The earphone is about as loud as the loudspeaker on low volume. So the person standing near you can listen to pretty much what the person on the other side is saying. C1-01 also has this issue but you can only hear muffled voices and not the actual words. My mom is using the C1-01 from about 2 months now and it has been great for her.

Samsung interface UI will be troublesome for your mother. No idea about Nokia 100, but I would suggest Nokia X1-01 for your mother. Great build quality and good sound in calls and via loudspeakers. Try to get that. Dont just go for Samsung coz their low end phs buttons are hard and comes with stupid user interface. Not for parents.

Get the Nokia 100 or the Nokia C1-01. Samsung interface will not be that intuitive to use. The Nokia 100 has one disadvantage though. The earphone is about as loud as the loudspeaker on low volume. So the person standing near you can listen to pretty much what the person on the other side is saying. C1-01 also has this issue but you can only hear muffled voices and not the actual words. My mom is using the C1-01 from about 2 months now and it has been great for her.
read about that issue in Nokia entry range that is why having thoughts about samsung.

Samsung interface UI will be troublesome for your mother. No idea about Nokia 100, but I would suggest Nokia X1-01 for your mother. Great build quality and good sound in calls and via loudspeakers. Try to get that. Dont just go for Samsung coz their low end phs buttons are hard and comes with stupid user interface. Not for parents.

Do you have a X1-01. The display size looks small. Can you tell if the digits on the screen are big enough to be clearly read. (both the time display and the number dialling)

@guptavis, do not go for samsung entry range phones. The UI is just horrible. Better than X1-01 I will suggest the C1-01, the voice issue is not as prevalent and it runs on S40 UI which is miles ahead of the UI on X1-01 (same as Nokia 100)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nokia 1280 without any doubt would be the best phone ( may even beat the S3 - on outdoor visibility !). Gifted one sometime back. The elderly recipient was delighted. Has a torch too for the power cuts!

Back