Budget 0-20k Budget rig w/o monitor ~ 10k

colors6

Disciple
I want to buy a PC for a friend. He already has a 5 year old LCD monitor with VGA port.

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - LG L194WT
HDD - 2.5" SATA laptop HDD by Western Digital Scorpio 320 GB

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - LG L194WT
HDD - 2.5" SATA laptop HDD by Western Digital Scorpio 320 GB

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name).

I am not very particular about the hardware components as long as they are cheap. I *don't* need the PC for gaming or video/photo editing

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes. I will not be adding any component in the future.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
New Delhi

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Browsing
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 Bit or Windows XP ( i am perfectly willing to run Windows XP if it brings the cost down)

You will need to invest more than that friend, here is my suggestion --

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1200/-
Corsair CX v2430W ~2500/-
some cheap cabinet without SMPS ~1000/-
LOGITECH K100 combo ~450/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~1900/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

If you friend wants anything cheaper he can invest in a Raspberry Pi system [it runs on a Fedora kernel].

So, when you say some cheap cabinet without SMPS, does it mean I don't need it?

You need the cabinet but the SMPS I have already suggested to you [Corsair CX v2430W] so you just need the empty cabinet [without the cheap bundled SMPS].

Another option which OP can go for-
AMD A6 3500-4.5k
Gigabyte A55M-DS2-3.4k
The HD6530 beats Intel G620 IGP hands down,It's up to OP's choice.
You will need to invest more than that friend, here is my suggestion --

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1200/-
Corsair CX v2430W ~2500/-
some cheap cabinet without SMPS ~1000/-
LOGITECH K100 combo ~450/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~1900/-

If you friend wants anything cheaper he can invest in a Raspberry Pi system [it runs on a Fedora kernel].

My friend will not be running HD movies since my existing monitor is not HD. Standard definition will do.

Hmm...

Intel or AMD?

I'll buy whichever you folks thinks is best.

My friend don't need to do any heavy lifting like video/photo editing, just to emphasise once again.

So, the above mentioned rig is best for Windows XP? Or should I install Windows 7 64 bit on it?

Intel or AMD?

Go for whichever comes lighter on the pocket, although seeing that your friend is not looking for great visual performance the Intel deal is what I will support; superior processor performance and the most efficient system with a decent iGP that does everything short of gaming, he can add a HD-supporting monitor later and use the system for viewing HD RIPz too no issues.

If possible run Windows 7 / XP 64-bit [because you have a 4GB RAM module] on this RIG, the performance will not vary a lot but better to have a RIG that detects your full potential rather than something that limits you.

I was asking which Windows to install becoz I thought if I'm buying h/w which is not top-notch, maybe my friend would be better off running windows xp.

But, it seems like Windows 7 64 bit will run just fine so I will install that.

I'll be going to Nehru place in a day or two. I'll keep checking this thread just in case some other people have some more suggestions.

One more question regarding buying from Nehru Place.

Should I buy the components from SMC or cost-to-cost? I'm assuming SMC shop will be a bit more expensive?

Also, since I've never assembled a computer myself, any tips on what I will need to assemble it? Some special tool kit/screw-drivers?

One more question regarding buying from Nehru Place.

Should I buy the components from SMC or cost-to-cost? I'm assuming SMC shop will be a bit more expensive?

Also, since I've never assembled a computer myself, any tips on what I will need to assemble it? Some special tool kit/screw-drivers?

If you, okay I did not know that you were purchasing from Delhi itself.

You can look at purchasing the entire setup from Computer Empire, Cost 2 Cost doesn't include taxes on its prices from the get-go this means their prices with the taxes are roughly at par with SMC International / Computer Empire at the end of the day.

Run the system with any x64-bit OS [even Linux if you wish], the system will be in its prime.

What about the Hard disk. Does he already have one? If he has one does it have a SATA or the IDE interface.
If your friend has a very tight budget then you also opt to go for the cheap PSU that's bundled with the cabinet for now and then upgrade later when he has the funds.

My friend has got two 2.5" laptop SATA Hard Drives which obviously won't work here. I'll need a 3.5" HD right?

So, the price goes up further now? :(

You cannot get HDD with the rig within 10k you'll have to add 5k more and then you'll get-
Intel G620-3.3k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k OR Gigabyte H61M D2H-3.3k
Corsair Value Ram 2X2GB-1k
Any Circle/Zebronics case with SMPS-1.5k
Segate 500GB HDD-4k[You can get 2nd hand HDD from TE market within 3k]
APC BR600VA-IN-1.9k
Logitech MK200 Combo-0.7k
My friend has got two 2.5" laptop SATA Hard Drives which obviously won't work here. I'll need a 3.5" HD right?

So, the price goes up further now? :(

My friend has a 500 GB WD Scorpio Black 5400 RPM 2.5" Hard drive as well as a 320 GB WD 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD lying around.

Is there some way one of these drives could be utilised instead of having to buy a new HDD?

My friend has a 500 GB WD Scorpio Black 5400 RPM 2.5" Hard drive as well as a 320 GB WD 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD lying around.

Is there some way one of these drives could be utilised instead of having to buy a new HDD?

You can use the 3.5" 320GB as a boot drive and the 2.5" drive as a spare and data dump; no need to purchase an extra drive in this case.

Even if he has just the laptop-drive use that till you can buy a new hard-drive, it will drive down the setup cost in a fell-stroke.

Rest configuration same as earlier. Cheerio!

Back