Budget 41-50k Build that can last for 5 Years.

jhononweed

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • Don't have committed budget but anything under 40~50 K Rs would be perfect.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Athlon x2
    • Motherboard - Asus 68SB based
    • GPU - None
    • RAM - Transcend 2gb DDR2 PC6400
    • Monitor - Dell 2220L
    • SMPS - Corsair CX430
    • Keyboard & Mouse - Logitech Combo
    • CM Elite Cabinet.
    • UPS - APC 1100
    • HDD - 1 Seagate 1TB + 2 X 2TB WD green drives.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 2220L
    • Keyboard & Mouse
    • HDD - All.
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel or AMD based ( Any of them )
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard.
    • GPU - Mid variant or On Die.
    • RAM - 2 x 4 GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 or higher.
    • PSU - Seasonic 620 S12ii or Corsair TX 650 V2.
    • Cabinet - CM HAF 912 Combat or Corsair 300R /400R.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final for at least 5 years.If need arises will add better GPU later on.
    • RAM - Will Add if need arises.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • New Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming - MS Flight Sim and other flight sim's.
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing - Office 2010 & Photo editing ( Moderate )
    • HTPC - Mostly as secondary as i have dedicated HTPC cum music PC.
    • Download rig, But not for 24 x 7 operations.
    • Watching FHD movies.
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None what so over , always fancy AMD for their VFM products but need to keep electricity bills low as i am going green so Intel is in for me now.
    • Will opt for company that provides fast RMA process.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Flight Simulators.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080 p
    2. Desktop - 1080 p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes , But occasionally.
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Ubuntu
Got this :Cabinet CM Haf912 Combat & SS12ii 620W

I have 3 options :
1. Intel Haswell i5 based system.
2. AMD FX8320/8350 based system.
3. AMD Richland APU 6800 K based system.

Budget ~ 50K Rs Optimum.

Need suggestions now for each considering my computing needs and longevity of system till 5 year in respect to next generations of AMD/Intel offerings in future.

I am not a gamer so don't need any fancy GPU's , anything that plays MS FX Sim's and some random games like far cry/ battlefield will be perfectly OK with me.
Need a system that can last atleast 5 years from day one so build quality counts paramount for me due to time constraints.
Regards.
Johnny.

!! Updated first post !!

And the rest

CPU
OPTION 1: AMD A10-6800K ~ 9350/- [the latest Richland APUwith on die Radeon HD8670D graphics with 384 cores ]
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 Motherboard ~ 9899/- [FM2 board]

With the above combination there is no need for a discrete gaming card (you can if you wish add that later). Combine this with 16GB DDR3 1866 or 2133MHz RAM and with an 128GB SSD it will be a rocking system.
Benchmarks and reviews : http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6800k_review_apu,11.html |

OPTION2: Intel Haswell Chose between
i5-4430 ~ 12125/- [no OCing]
i5-4670K ~ 16700/-
[The onboard iGPU is also sufficient for gaming - however the AMD A10 suggested above beats it]

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) Motherboard ~ 8125/-
RAM: G.Skill - 16GB (chose from here)
or start with 8GB and add another 8GB later on (same brand/model/mhz/latency)

SSD : Samsung 128GB 840 Pro series ~ 8699/-

PSU : Corsair TX Series (Haswell compatible) 650W ~ 6552/- or 7099/- (modular)

Cheers
Terry

Thanks Terry.

Dont like soo much plastic on front panel of CM's haf 912 but keeping a tight 5K Rs budget on cabinet seems that i have no other option than this or 400R.
My mind is forcing me to go for Corsair 400R as it looks polished without all those flimsy plastic's on front and i can add a window panel anytime to 400R. Adding few more disks on 400R will be troublesome as it has only 6 HDD bays but not on 912combat.

PSU - How about Seasonic S12ii 620W ? Its not haswell compatible i guess going by the thread you provided me but what if i go for ivy bridge than haswell...till then its fine i guess or with AMD based pc.
Thing is that i had Tx 650V2 which use to make bloody loud noises before being replaced by tiny Cx430W.
So want a silent PSU at affordable price.

CPU - Intel Haswell has heating problems as per reviews.Ivy bridge is still ruling processor sale and its cheap considering how fast depreciation hits components markets after say 3-6 months since time of arrival.Soo how about ivy proccy on Z87 based mobo ?Ivy heats less , overclocks beautifully and drinks less electricity.

Or

AMD 8320 FX based rig with 970/990 Mobo from Asrock/Asus/GigaB ( No MSI for me ) ? Its 8 core proccy with stable AM3+ boards that has no future platform upgrades.Only downside is from power usage ( with/without ) overclocking.

A 6800K -I know they are beast when comes to iGPU side but processor power is still in the zone of poor old Athlon X2's/Deneb's based phenoms. Don't take me wrong but i need a rig that can last without any updates for 5 years disregarding need for discrete GPU which can always be added later on.Plus FM2 is being replaced by FM2+ or FM3....

Johnny.

Any specific reasoning for the 600W+ PSUs? Even if you add a mid variant GPU to your existing CX430 with the current HDDs and a few fans it will be sufficient. I would suggest you keep the current PSU and later when you buy a GPU and if you feel the CX430 is not up to the mark, get a maximum of 500W-550W PSU from your choice of manufacturer.

+1 with @pr0ing a 500-550W PSU would also suffice.

I am still not clear about Seasonic budget psu availability (haswell) in India - 80 PLUS Bronze line up [consisting of the M12II-650; 750 & 850W]; then also the Gold G-Series.
The X series & Platinum series is also compatible (these are fully modular & more expensive).

Regarding cabinet - you will not get any cabinet having "all steel or aluminium" in <10k price range. So you need to work around the available models - the 400R is a great cabby (esp for cooling/ventilation) but has a problem with adding the max no of HDD bays. The 912 combat solves that problem.

You CANNOT use any Ivy proc (1155 boards) on the Haswell (1150 boards) - they are incompatible with each other :(

Haswell is not all that bad .... Yes it's OCing is not that great (sandy is the best). However it's power efficiency is better ...the HD4600 gpu also is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabinet done , ordered CM912 combat and few 2TB hdd's.

Pr0ing - Cx 430 is currently being used in another system.So need PSU for new build , i am fine with buying another CX 430 but few wise men advised me to go for at least 600W which translates into either of S12ii 620 or TX 650 V2 and i am not in favor of going for corsair one due to past experience.
Getting Seasonic one for 4.9K Rs as compared to 6K for Tx , so i guessed it would be better to have headroom considering i have not yet decided on OC'ing processor.

My bad Terry didn't knew about 1155 and 1150 socket for intel's.
To be honest i am leaning towards AMD based system may be me being AMD fanboi:p.
Just need something that can handle my temptation for OC'ing and value spent on CPU giving base jumping effect for lightheaded computing.My basic work is fiddle around with web surfing , pdf files , listening music , downloading torrents , sim practice .....all this at same time.:D

AMD fx 8320 vs A 6600K~A 6800K VS Intel's offering.
8320 - Fast proccy , need GPU for enrichment, too high TDP.
A 6600 or 6800 K - Slow proccy , fantastic iGPU...future GPU upgrade can only be 6670 or 7670 in crossfire.Not higher than that.

Intel - Fast n furious , will get economical electricity bill's.Need GPU of good quality which will hit budget.

Crazy_Eddy - I know all this haswell compatibility is marketing gimmick. Just want an able PSU that can do its work without giving me headache to run after RMA center's.
TX v2 being replaced by which model ? Is this new model available here in India ?

Johnny !!

cranky explained that PSU haswell compatibility is practically a non-issue.

I beg to differ (older series of PSU's and especially in the 'budget-category') may not be compatible with Haswell.

Today, almost all PSU manufacturer's have included a list of "compatible" models/series of psu's. It takes hardly anytime to cross-check for the same. While Corsair is still testing some of their psu's - see here.

The final verdict is not out as yet - and 100% certainty on the isuue is still being debated.
For a few weeks now, we've known that Intel's Haswell processors feature a new sleep state that isn't compatible with all power supplies. Haswell's sleep power draw is substantially lower than that of previous generations, and it can trigger some PSUs' under-voltage protection and force a system reset.......

Since the news broke, a number of PSU vendors have indicated which of their power supplies fully support Intel's new processors. We covered some of those announcements, but keeping track of all of them has been difficult. In an effort to be thorough—and, you know, to make things easy for everybody—we've spent a few hours compiling compatibility information from all the major PSU vendors.

Before we proceed, we should be clear about one thing: you don't, strictly speaking, need one of these "Haswell-ready" PSUs to build a Haswell system. Corsair told us that it "fully expects" motherboard makers to let users disable the new low-power power state in the firmware. Cooler Master went even further, stating that, to its knowledge, "all mainboard vendors" will disable the new low-power state in their boards by default. In other words, you may never encounter any issues even if you pair a Haswell platform with an incompatible power supply.

That said, Haswell's lower-power sleep state is one of the perks of the new platform. Compared to the prior generation, it cuts minimum sleep power consumption from 6W to about 0.6W. Those kinds of power savings may not add up to much on your power bill, and they probably aren't worth the price of a brand-new PSU. However, if your current unit is already compliant, you might as well enjoy the reduction in sleep power. Also, of course, folks building a Haswell system from scratch are better off getting a compatible unit to begin with.
http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list

To be honest i am leaning towards AMD based system may be me being AMD fanboi:p.
Just need something that can handle my temptation for OC'ing and value spent on CPU giving base jumping effect for lightheaded computing.My basic work is fiddle around with web surfing , pdf files , listening music , downloading torrents , sim practice .....all this at same time.:D

AMD fx 8320 vs A 6600K~A 6800K VS Intel's offering.
8320 - Fast proccy , need GPU for enrichment, too high TDP.
A 6600 or 6800 K - Slow proccy , fantastic iGPU...future GPU upgrade can only be 6670 or 7670 in crossfire. Not higher than that.

I was an AMD fanboi too for many years (they are still VFM). However, you need this ned RIG to last you for another 5 years or so. It is not always easy to make that final decision.

M y previous RIG was an AMD which I used for 9 years :eek: ..... In Sept '12 I decided to go for a new RIG which should last me for at least 5-7 years. Even then and now Intel still rules all the benchmarks (except perhaps 'price-performance'). I finally settled for 3770k and used it for 3 months on it's iGPU (it worked extremely well - except in playback of 23.976fps HD content - Intel had an unresolved problem dating back to 2008, this has now been fully resolved with Haswell HD4600). I later added the 660Ti gpu.

As far as OCing goes - it means investing in a decent air/water cooler (apart from reducing the life of the processor - there are no major gains). Even then I recommend a basic air-cooler for Ivy or Haswell (as the stock one provided by Intel is no good - especially if you wish to run your system for long hours or during the summer months or want it to last for 5 years :confused:). With AMD procs - no issues.

TX v2 being replaced by which model ? Is this new model available here in India ?
They just call it TX650 now. Its already shipping in India. Check this entire thread for more details like how to identify and avoid it.

I beg to differ (older series of PSU's and especially in the 'budget-category') may not be compatible with Haswell.
Define 'compatible with Haswell'. 0.05A on 12V = 0.6W. x86 systems idling at 0.6W total would give the Raspberry Pi, routers, and other ARM based systems a run for their money! I guess you did not read cranky's post :) Here it is again :
The thing is everybody has conveniently assumed that the processor is the only thing connected to the supply's 12V line. If you have a even one fan connected, the supply has sufficient load to stay happy.
One can always disable the C6/C7 states altogether and turn off their system instead of staring at it to see how low the idle power can go ;)

Of course there's no harm in getting a 'haswell compatible' PSU. The M12II is available on hardwire.in and theitdepot. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't get caught in the marketing hype.

Shhhh.....Gent's.

For once lets leave this haswell compatibility away, what should be best bang for value PSU in 400-600 W band keeping future upgrades of hard disk and OC'ing.

Define 'compatible with Haswell'. 0.05A on 12V = 0.6W. x86 systems idling at 0.6W total would give the Raspberry Pi, routers, and other ARM based systems a run for their money! I guess you did not read cranky's post :) Here it is again :

One can always disable the C6/C7 states altogether and turn off their system instead of staring at it to see how low the idle power can go ;)

Of course there's no harm in getting a 'haswell compatible' PSU. The M12II is available on hardwire.in and theitdepot. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't get caught in the marketing hype.

Accepted. I guess I turned out to be a sucker :arghh: with all those 'conflicting' reports [even those biggies on their own site's have hyped the haswell thingy]. My methodology is always to tread carefully & double-check such aspects rather than regret things later.

So @cranky - I erred & fell for the goose :(.

So getting back to the topic - OP has only 'specific' upgrade requirements [which he wants to last for the next 5 years at the end of which Intel would have launched Broadwell, Skylake & Skymount] & to fit withing a budget of 40-50k. What works out best in todays scenario - AMD A10 or FX; Ivy or Haswell ?

I would opt for Haswell - simply because of it being more efficient & along with the 1150 series boards offers better overall performance along with >1800MHz RAM (I am not suggesting the i7 but the i5-haswell iterations) for this budget.

Of course it's OP's call at the end.

Cheers
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted. I guess I turned out to be a sucker

Not only you, and not the first time :) Cheers!

For future ref, here is another link with an official explanation from, of all people, Coolermaster: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cooler-Master-Power-Supply-Haswell-Compatible-List,22783.html

I suspect very strongly that the processor-in-box retail CPU heatsink and fan adds sufficient amount of load as well, unless the C6/C7 states also turn off the CPU fan.

For real-world rigs, this is not an issue at all. People are running Haswells with all sorts of PSUs including PicoPSUs.

One easy way to get an incompatible PSU (and yes, there will be some el-cheapos who will fail to make the cut and yes, there will be some el-cheapos who will want this trick) to work with Haswell is to power all your peripherals off the 12V2 line. Typically all PSUs that have two 12V rail will have one set of peripheral connectors for each rail, and we normally connect the CPU to 12V2 and the rest to 12V1. Given that Haswell sips power at best (77W is max TDP of the biggest processor, likely you won't be hitting half that number on average), you can power a couple disks and all your case fans off the second line.

We've benchmarked 10 chips on the latest drivers and on Windows 8. All CPUs feature integrated graphics and span three generations for Intel and two for AMD.
Answering the questions as to how much improvement Intel has made through three generations do keep an eye on Core i5-4670K, i5-3570K and i5-2500K.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/56853-intel-core-i5-4670k-22nm-haswell/?page=2

Unfortunately AMD FX series is not compared.

It seems the 4670k is emerging as the 'sweet-spot' for Haswell.

I have 3 options :
1. Intel Haswell i5 based system.
2. AMD FX8320/8350 based system.
3. AMD Richland APU 6800 K based system.

Now need valuable input regarding above 3 options.
Budget is around 50K considering i only need CPU + Mobo + RAM's , anyone who can ideally provide a rig with least amount spend anything under 35K Rs which trade blows with future configurations of either AMD/Intel (10-20% less is what i am craving right now ) would get a full blown beer feast drinking session.;)

I'd hate to toss a coin (and miss out on the - full blown beer feast drinking session). :p

It's a difficult choice mate.

If gaming is NOT your priority - then I would go for A10-6800K (with the fastest 16GB RAM I can afford) and NO discrete GPU. I would also add an SSD and a modular PSU and keep adding HDD's (2TB-4TB) drives so that my appetite for 'collecting and watching' FHD movies is never diminished.

How is Kingston's HyperX Blu 1600 ram , does it OC's nicely as Ripjaws ?
What is the difference b/w G Skill's 1600 Mhz RipjawsX and Snipers in terms of performance ?
Both are CL9 based rams but somehow sniper is thought to be more performance oriented than RipjawsX....

I would readily take A6800 K but looking at core CPU power for next 5 years , i would rather buy Intel 2/3Gen than AMD as i don't wanna lose out on this aspect.

A 6800K -I know they are beast when comes to iGPU side but processor power is still in the zone of poor old Athlon X2's/Deneb's based phenoms.
Johnny.

Source of this information please.
As far as I have read, and I am very sure the A10 6800k is based on the "Piledriver" architecture which is miles ahead to those X2 and stuff.
You really think that AMD can sell such archaic architecture or for that matter people will buy them ?.
This is the third gen APU not first. Things have changed dear friend. I have no idea of simulation software so cannot tell which processor you want.
But I do suggest going for a Haswell processor.

Back