Budget 41-50k Build that can last for 5 Years.

I think the A10 6800k has 2 modules - 4 cores, while the 8350 has 4 modules - 8 cores. So they don't really fall in the same category.
About the power draw, yeah, the 8350 consumes 125w at load, but I doubt the OP be hitting peak loads often.
The Intel's more powerful and efficient, but considering the OP's usage, he'd be better served by more cores.
And since software is getting more multi-threaded, the extra cores would come in handy in the future.
He'd also gets all the CPU features like virtualization, unlocked cores etc, which Intel disables on some of it's SKU's.

So got A10 6800K with Asus FM2 85 board coupled with 8GB 2133DDR3 Gskill rams:).Played full month with the setup and i must say WOW graphics looks so eye candy to me considering i had only 6450 GFX for my HTPC, so graphically i think i would never ever be bothered about upgrading anything as its way beyond my needs on this system.

As i was getting used to my new build disaster happened this weekend and i could smell something just got smoked badly and no it wasn't my new AMD build but my old HTPC.My beloved HTPC died with fried mobo, good part is that it was an ancient AM2 socket Athlon which was refusing to die on me:p
But hard part is only mobo died which leaves me to search hard for new mobo for this vintage proccy which is very hard to find considering DDR2 legacy boards are all but dead since last 4-5 years.
Hence i converted A10 AMD build into HTPC and everything looks so wonderful.Its orgasmic for my eyes.....:D

Now i am again in market to get a desktop build....:rolleyes:
What i need :: - CPU + Mobo + Ram + CPU cooler.
What this build is meant to be used for ::- Multitasking , Light Gaming , Everyday work like light Photo editing/ movie editing.
Budget ::- 40K Rs
What i have in mind to buy - AMD FX 8320 + Asus MA990EX Evo Rev2 /MA990FX Pro Rev 2 + Gskill 2x8GB 1833 DDR3
or i5 4670k + Asus Z87 Pro / Asrock 6 Extreme / Gigabyte Z87XUD3H + GS 2x8GB 1833DDR3.

Now if i go with AMD i need GFX which i already have in 6450 and overall this build will cost me just 30K Rs saving me money which will be used for good GFX buy ( my needs have changed from non gamer to light gamer - Courtesy A10 6800K :cool:) but on other hand Haswell build looks costly to me with 40+KRs price tag considering my usage couple with Intel's obsession with socket upgrades n all.
All i want is system that can play BF3/4 , Cyrsis and Flight Sim's and keep up with multi tasking job....all this games are multi core hence AMD looks value for me right now taking account my adventure with converting AMD APU build for HTPC needs.

Thank's:playful::playful:

Ummm...No reply's but i made my choice.:rolleyes:
Got another kit of Gskill ram's of 2133 freq's and hope this one turn's out bang for my new AMD system.
As for GFX i am thinking to get 7950 either from His or Saphire as both of them has cards which are 7950 but with reference card of 7970 that can be unlocked n overclocked like hell.;)
Now another question should i wait for AMD's 9900 series cards that are going to be launched in oct/nov or should i just buy 7950 ?
I am even open for used 7950 or GTX 660Ti if anyone wants to chuck them :p.........

Intel's obsession with socket upgrades
Are you sure about that? ;)
2011 - AMD Socket FM1 / Intel LGA 1155
2012 - AMD Socket FM2 / Intel "
2013 - AMD Socket FM2+ / Intel LGA 1150

The AM3 socket is not really comparable since AMD haven't shifted things like the GPU, PCI-e controller, VRM, etc on die and hence haven't had to change the pin configuration at all.

For main enthusiast level configuration's AM sockets are used more than Fm sockets.
Am2/2+ - 2005 Till 2009
Am3 - Till 2011.
Am3+ - From 2011

Umm Lets see how Intel does.
SandyB came in late 2011 with new socket type and lasted 1 year before ivy replaced it in same socket.
Ivy got replaced this year after 6-8 months since its debut by new socket Lga 1550.

Hmmm latest AMD cpu's can work on AM3/3+ plus with bios updates am2+ can work on them too and for average joe that's enough....not so with Intel's.Plus few people forget that Fm2/2+ are all backward n forward compatible.

I'm not denying the value of the AMD platform. Whatever you pick, companies price their products so you are getting equivalent performance for that budget. I'm just pointing out that there's a valid technical reason why Intel is changing sockets, not because they are 'obsessed with changing sockets'.

Hmmm latest AMD cpu's can work on AM3/3+ plus with bios updates am2+ can work on them too and for average joe that's enough....not so with Intel's.
As I said earlier, you can't compare the AMx socket with Intel's socket, since AMD hasn't been integrating any components on their CPUs. With each generation Intel are integrating more components from the motherboard onto the CPU die : mem controller, PCIe bus, (part) VRM, and all these additions necessitate a change in pin layout/socket. Apart from the mem controller, AMD still keeps everything in the northbridge. Intel is probably looking for convergence between their desktop and mobile parts which is why there's this trend towards integrating everything, like SoCs for mobile phones.

The FM socket is AMDs future vision and is the closest to Intel's concept of integrating everything, which is why I brought it up for comparison, and as you can see even that has been through socket changes. If it was possible to just use one socket, why couldn't AMD use socket AM3 itself for their APUs?

Plus few people forget that Fm2/2+ are all backward n forward compatible.
Small correction - FM2+ is backward compatible with FM2 CPUs, but the FM2 socket is not forward compatible with FM2+ CPUs.

No offence when i meant Intel's obsession of Socket upgrades as for non critical users means paying extra for every refresh of system lineups.
Intel is probably looking for convergence between their desktop and mobile parts which is why there's this trend towards integrating everything, like SoCs for mobile phones.
Exactly why to pay more when all you want is price per performance on certain computing platform as per your needs.Consumers are lately paying premium of 30-40% combined for every socket upgrade of Intel , AMD too charges premium but overall cost is way less which reflects on performance of AMD system.
Then again if Intel with updated configuration on hardware does some random work in an hour which AMD takes 10 minutes more then i would rather have a drink or two for 10 minutes with smile on my face.

My bad about compatibility of FM2 line of sockets.
FM sockets are truly future vision but delays with steamroller and confusion of will it be on AM3+ or not has delayed my purchase for quite some time so taking what's best right now in market.
AMD is or will not be able to catch up with Intel for noticeable future and what it's offering right now is well suited for most casual users including me.
On the side note i just got new FM2 board with 6800K APU and its rock's.

I am ear to any kind of suggestion about this new system build which i happen to keep for atleast 4-5 years with only GPU upgrades as per usage / bottlenecks.
Price for this build remains fixed in bracket of 40-50K Rs which includes " CPU + MOBO + GPU + Cooler ".
Plus open for pre-owned GPU.

AMD - 8320/8350 + Asus 990FX pro rev2 + 7950/GTX 760 + Cooler.:)
Intel - 4670K + Compatible Mobo + Left over for GPU and Cooler:banghead:
Need views urgently as i am seriously need this build on my desk by next week and as i have already ordered RAM's:shy:

Thanks !:happy:

For main enthusiast level configuration's AM sockets are used more than Fm sockets.
True. But an enthusiast would change the motherboard even if takes new CPU - because new motherboards would offer new features / be faster. Would earlier AM3+ motheboards come with SATA 6Gbps ports? No.

So it is precisely the non-enthusiast that needs socket compatibility for a longer time. Which means FM world, where AMD hasn't refrained from socket change as much.

Then again if Intel with updated configuration on hardware does some random work in an hour which AMD takes 10 minutes more then i would rather have a drink or two for 10 minutes with smile on my face.
If you are ready to wait for 10 more minutes, an i3 3220 / G2020 is likely to be :
1. Cheaper overall
2. Much more power efficient - save on power bills
3. Can get by with cheaper PSU as it needs less power
4. Can get by without CPU cooler as it generates less heat
5. Can get by with cheaper cabinet as it generates less heat
6. More comfortable in summers as the computer acts as less of a room heater. Spend less on Air conditioner power, or one less reason to buy an air conditioner. Remember, one joule of energy is required to throw out 3 joules of heat from your room, most small ACs can do less than 3. Every watt increase in processor power consumption means 0.33 - 0.5 watt increase in AC power requirement. Heat directly affects the drink you have and the smile on your face.
7. Keep using it for 20 years, and wait for 10 minutes longer than if you upgraded CPU on same motherboard. AM3+ will last far less than 20 years.

So this statement of waiting for 10 minutes destroys your own point.

Last edited:
True. But an enthusiast would change the motherboard even if takes new CPU - because new motherboards would offer new features / be faster. Would earlier AM3+ motheboards come with SATA 6Gbps ports? No.
Ins't this end of Q2 of 2013 right now and not start of 2011 ? I bet you might know that motherboard makers of AMD lineage provides revisions after certain period of time.
An enthusiast in first place will never buy a hardware based on motherboards functionality which can't be exploited by overall system or have anyside gain from CPU.Many enthusiasts are still using Z68 based mobo's with new improved 3770k's yet they can't take advantage of Pcie 3.

If you are ready to wait for 10 more minutes, an i3 3220 / G2020 is likely to be :
1. Cheaper overall
2. Much more power efficient - save on power bills
3. Can get by with cheaper PSU as it needs less power
4. Can get by without CPU cooler as it generates less heat
5. Can get by with cheaper cabinet as it generates less heat
6. More comfortable in summers as the computer acts as less of a room heater. Spend less on Air conditioner power, or one less reason to buy an air conditioner. Remember, one joule of energy is required to throw out 3 joules of heat from your room, most small ACs can do less than 3. Every watt increase in processor power consumption means 0.33 - 0.5 watt increase in AC power requirement. Heat directly affects the drink you have and the smile on your face.
7. Keep using it for 20 years, and wait for 10 minutes longer than if you upgraded CPU on same motherboard. AM3+ will last far less than 20 years.

So this statement of waiting for 10 minutes destroys your own point.
And you are comparing FX 8xxx series with G2020/i 3's....Goodness gracious !!

1.Cheaper overall because it's cheap by performance too in comparison to FX 8xxx.
2.Surely it will be much more power efficient which will save me Millions by the year end.
3.Yes can get it worked on cheaper coz it's cheap in itself.
4.Winter is coming in my part of world so no worries...even if your combination heats up i can bake some cookies.
5.Why to worry about cheaper cabinet when i can use it on benching desk afterall it's FX killer.
6.No worries about room heater as i said winter is right around the corner.I like Adiabatic cooling more as saturated air will generate more heat to cool itself into dry air and when dry reaches its lapse rate my system would be firing on all cylinders while your cheap Intel's would be giving you heat.
If heat produces side effects then i shall revisit ice age and watch Ice Age series yet enjoy my frosty drinks which will make me smile even more considering how people waste every watt on cooling their pot head's.
7.It will even last a century considering Ice age will be more cool than liquid Nitrogen.I bet your cheap mentality will last even longer than AM3+.

So this statement of cheapness lasted for you more than half hour which suggest's someone had bad night's sleep.

Ins't this end of Q2 of 2013 right now and not start of 2011 ?
Relevance?

I bet you might know that motherboard makers of AMD lineage provides revisions after certain period of time.
You might know that software "revisions" don't create SATA 6Gbps ports out of SATA 3 Gbps ports. Not impossible, but generally they don't. And hardware revisions are irrelevant (like most of your other points).

An enthusiast in first place will never buy a hardware based on motherboards functionality which can't be exploited by overall system or have anyside gain from CPU.
Very incorrect. Enthusiasts would want a faster SSD - e.g. gaming enthusiasts would want faster game / level loading. You also failed to address SATA 6Gbps point. Do remember that "anyside" is not a word.

Many enthusiasts are still using Z68 based mobo's with new improved 3770k's yet they can't take advantage of Pcie 3.
Thereby making them non-enthusiasts.

And you are comparing FX 8xxx series with G2020/i 3's....Goodness gracious !!
For many tasks, they wouldn't even take 10 minutes longer than FX 8xxx. Remember Amdahl's law - most problems on a computer are not easy to do in parallel.

1.Cheaper overall because it's cheap by performance too in comparison to FX 8xxx.
Wait 10 minutes, have a drink and smile.

2.Surely it will be much more power efficient which will save me Millions by the year end.
Irrelevant.

3.Yes can get it worked on cheaper coz it's cheap in itself.
Irrelevant. Try to keep up with the topic.

4.Winter is coming in my part of world so no worries...even if your combination heats up i can bake some cookies.
Ok, recently you were worried about a new socket every few years. Now you don't care past 8 months, when winters will be over? Double standards, if I ever saw any.

5.Why to worry about cheaper cabinet when i can use it on benching desk afterall it's FX killer.
Try to keep up with the topic.

6.No worries about room heater as i said winter is right around the corner.I like Adiabatic cooling more as saturated air will generate more heat to cool itself into dry air and when dry reaches its lapse rate my system would be firing on all cylinders while your cheap Intel's would be giving you heat.
If heat produces side effects then i shall revisit ice age and watch Ice Age series yet enjoy my frosty drinks which will make me smile even more considering how people waste every watt on cooling their pot head's.
There is a reason a post has a topic - people are supposed to keep up with it.

7.It will even last a century considering Ice age will be more cool than liquid Nitrogen.I bet your cheap mentality will last even longer than AM3+.
Relevance?

So this statement of cheapness lasted for you more than half hour which suggest's someone had bad night's sleep.
Relevance?

AMD - 8320/8350 + Asus 990FX pro rev2 + 7950/GTX 760 + Cooler.:)
Intel - 4670K + Compatible Mobo + Left over for GPU and Cooler:banghead:
Out of the box the AMD setup with the faster GPU will definitely be better. But in the long term if you were to upgrade the GPU and you had the Haswell setup, your CPU wouldn't be a bottleneck for the new GPU. Of course this also depends on what game you're playing and whether you can find benchmarks for it to see if its CPU or GPU heavy. An example of a CPU heavy game puts the AMD in very poor light : http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/5

1. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes , But occasionally.
If you're not looking at a 24x7 overclock, you could probably just get the locked regular i5 4670 for less. Stock performance will anyway be better than an overclocked FX 8320. Pair it with a B85/H87 board, and the CPU + Mobo combo should be about 20~22k like the AMD FX setup.

Last edited:
Relevance?
Bitter ?
You might know that software "revisions" don't create SATA 6Gbps ports out of SATA 3 Gbps ports. Not impossible, but generally they don't. And hardware revisions are irrelevant (like most of your other points).
Really when some motherboard releases Pcie 3 version then surely this is software revisions for you.
Paradox ?
Very incorrect. Enthusiasts would want a faster SSD - e.g. gaming enthusiasts would want faster game / level loading. You also failed to address SATA 6Gbps point. Do remember that "anyside" is not a word.
Very correct but depends on how you perceive things. Sata3 was your logic not mine.
Do remember that " any side " is not a word but two words.
Thereby making them non-enthusiasts.
And who says that ? You ...
For many tasks, they wouldn't even take 10 minutes longer than FX 8xxx. Remember Amdahl's law - most problems on a computer are not easy to do in parallel.
Sure then how would all those reviewing and benching sites generate their fundings.
Wait 10 minutes, have a drink and smile.
I would have to wait longer if i go by your cheap system.May be 3-4 drinks.
Irrelevant. Try to keep up with the topic.
Why did it wobbled your logical ill thinking ?
Ok, recently you were worried about a new socket every few years. Now you don't care past 8 months, when winters will be over? Double standards, if I ever saw any.
Socket every year and seasonal changes for 6-8 months, take your pick for duration's.Double standards is irrelevant for this one as per your quotations of my reply.
Try to keep up with the topic.
Irrelevant as per your initial reply.Take your time and try to keep up with original topic of this thread.
There is a reason a post has a topic - people are supposed to keep up with it.
And what has your post supposed to achieve that ? Double standards if any i can sense right now.
Relevance?
Was it even relevant in your original post ?
Relevance?
Was it even relevant in your original post ?
By the way Cheap was randomly used by you so i guess you go by your cheapness which reflects in your aptitude of words.
My advice don't be oxymoron.

Out of the box the AMD setup with the faster GPU will definitely be better. But in the long term if you were to upgrade the GPU and you had the Haswell setup, your CPU wouldn't be a bottleneck for the new GPU. Of course this also depends on what game you're playing and whether you can find benchmarks for it to see if its CPU or GPU heavy.
Already have APU setup , adding better GPU on it destroy's the whole purpose of going with APU based system.That's why i am willing to go for either of two with discrete GPU.
Games like BF3/4 , Cyrsis , Metro is what i intend to play which are heavily threaded as per reviews.S/W that i uses most is CAD/ Adobe cs6 / light movie editing's.This is not gaming build but rather overall system which can do everything.I know i need to trade few things to gain few but intention is to have system that can better value thinking about future as i would only upgrade GPU if it bottleneck which will probably it will.
I am not looking to overclock the system 24/7 but yes will OC it hence need OC capable CPU/Mobo from either of camp.
Only thing that is holding me back is lack of HT on 4670k.Plus good OC mobo for intel is 60% more than amd's which i can utilize on better GPU.

Very correct but depends on how you perceive things. Sata3 was your logic not mine.
And proves my point - enthusiast would upgrade for SATA 6 Gbps, even if old motherboard could run new CPU. You haven't addressed it yet, between all the name calling.

Do remember that " any side " is not a word but two words.
There is a reason they invented the "space" key, at times even called a "bar". Being hard to miss.

And who says that ? You ...
Well, you said enthusiasts only run AM3+. You can start by proving that. I know of enthusiasts running FM2 - just that they are not x86 core enthusiasts. But I understood your meaning of "enthusiast" from context and you didn't. Try again, I believe in giving second chances, not name calling.

Sure then how would all those reviewing and benching sites generate their fundings.
What do you care? You are ready to wait 10 minutes.

I would have to wait longer if i go by your cheap system.May be 3-4 drinks.
Education is "cheap" these days - do get one. Check out single thread performance and Amdahl's law. i3 3220 has 13 percent advantage in single thread performance, even G2020 has 2.5 percent advantage over FX 8350. Single thread performance is very important because of Amdahl's law. Especially for someone willing to wait for 10 minutes, i3 3220 is unlikely to disappoint. And one can always cook up use cases where only custom designed FPGA gives optimal performance.

And proves my point - enthusiast would upgrade for SATA 6 Gbps, even if old motherboard could run new CPU. You haven't addressed it yet, between all the name calling.
And there are many more things that enthusiast look for before system upgrades yet only Sata3 got your notice irrespective of price parity b/w different system upgrades.I am not obliged to address your view which has no meaning in my perspective.

There is a reason they invented the "space" key, at times even called a "bar". Being hard to miss.
And then their is common sense to understand what each words means with or without any format before space key was invented to make it understandable for low IQ folks.

Well, you said enthusiasts only run AM3+. You can start by proving that. I know of enthusiasts running FM2 - just that they are not x86 core enthusiasts. But I understood your meaning of "enthusiast" from context and you didn't. Try again, I believe in giving second chances, not name calling
Revisit my post and then come back again to validate your enthusiast definition in terms of socket visibility in terms of core performance in particular platform.I believe you need more chances to upgrade your reading skills.

What do you care? You are ready to wait 10 minutes.
Before you came running with i3 and lower grade Intel's.

Education is "cheap" these days - do get one. Check out single thread performance and Amdahl's law. i3 3220 has 13 percent advantage in single thread performance, even G2020 has 2.5 percent advantage over FX 8350. Single thread performance is very important because of Amdahl's law. Especially for someone willing to wait for 10 minutes, i3 3220 is unlikely to disappoint. And one can always cook up use cases where only custom designed FPGA gives optimal performance.
Your views and perception about cheap things in comparison with rest in your post have certainly validated your cheap education , now how about getting some solid education which will provide you better debating skill's ?
IF and only IF.you did'nt had reading disabilities then you wont have posted single thread performance when this system requires balanced multi-single threaded performance.
Looks like some one is Extreme Intel FANBOY.

To be honest your latest post seriously didnt made any difference from your perceived level of fact's as threads requirement.
Thank's anyways ![DOUBLEPOST=1376677461][/DOUBLEPOST]@Crazy_Eddy

How is corsair's new hydro series water coolers ?
I see many people have reached 4.5 ~4.8 Intel/AMD on air by using CM 212 Evo cooler, so does hydro 80i / 100i provide any further gain with lower temp's?
I plan to OC the CPU / GPU in the range of 4.3~4.5 Ghz irrespective of Intel or AMD.

And there are many more things that enthusiast look for before system upgrades yet only Sata3 got your notice irrespective of price parity b/w different system upgrades.I am not obliged to address your view which has no meaning in my perspective.
If you take a break from name calling, you might notice that SATA 6 Gbps motherboards usually have the same x86 performance support, or better.

Revisit my post and then come back again to validate your enthusiast definition in terms of socket visibility in terms of core performance in particular platform.I believe you need more chances to upgrade your reading skills.
Did already. Nothing of the sort. You declared without condition that enthusiasts only use AM*, not FM*. Which is either false, or arbitrary.

Before you came running with i3 and lower grade Intel's.
Which beat more expensive 8350s in most used applications, which are single core?

Your views and perception about cheap things in comparison with rest in your post have certainly validated your cheap education , now how about getting some solid education which will provide you better debating skill's ?
But you didn't pay the small price of reading a single page for the education that I was giving you a chance at? Choosing ignorance of Amdahl's law, and Intel's single thread performance? I have started to pity you, but there is still hope.

IF and only IF.you did'nt had reading disabilities then you wont have posted single thread performance when this system requires balanced multi-single threaded performance.
Name calling forgiven. I was replying to your statement of waiting for 10 minutes. Which even in your use case , and ANY practical use case, makes processor model irrelevant.

Looks like some one is Extreme Intel FANBOY.
Wow!! On this very forum, I've been called an AMD "fanboy" when pointing out clear mistakes in posts people make. I guess it is easy to throw out "fanboy" accusations than reconsidering one's own mistakes.

Remember, a person ready to wait 10 minutes, has no business worrying about processor model. Processors released in last decade save milliseconds per operation as compared to those released last decade.

Most interestingly in this thread, while you were willingly waiting for 10 minutes when proposing to do it for an AMD CPU. Same waiting for 10 minutes, when it is proposed for an Intel CPU, got you into a rage, calling me various kinds of names. Without making one coherent relevant argument. That has immense illustrative value in defining "fanboy" - how emotions play a role and how the slogan "Grey matters here" doesn't matter much.

Back