Building a Gaming PC for around 100K: Need advice

kvikram

Skilled
Alright so this is going to be a BIG buy!

We've brought branded PCs all the time. I'm 17, just about to finish my 12th standard and am focusing on buying a good gaming PC.

So, my mind was on the Dell Studio XPS 7100, customized to around the 100K mark. It has the following config:

Ati Radeon HD 5870 1 GB
AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1090T Processor (3.2GHz,9MB,6C)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
Dellâ„¢ SX2210 21.5 " Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor With Webcam
6GB (2x2GB/2x1GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
Single Drive:16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write
450 W PSU

So, how much difference will building my own PC make? If the difference is not more than 20K, then I'm ready to buy this to avoid all the hassles of building a PC and getting a good 3 year warranty, as all my family members suggest.

What do you think?

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Core i-7 950(3.06Ghz, 4 cores,8MB Cache) 14100
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/Asus Sabertooth X58 10800/11400
RAM G-skill 1600MHZ F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (2Gx3) 6250
HDD 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 2750
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO 3750
GPU 2*Zotac GTX460 AMP! 1GB GDDR5 25600
Monitor DELL U2311H 14000
Cabinet CM HAF 922 6600
PSU/SMPS Corsair HX750 8500
Key Board Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 1100
Mouse Razer Death Adder 2200
Mouse pad RantoPad H3 400
ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950
Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 VS4121 2900
Total 100200-100800
This rig would kick the dell's ass... these prices are kinda old though so u should save atleast 5-7k on this... ram is way cheaper and u could go for a pair of 6850s instead of the gtx 460s or just get one 6950 2Gb and unlock to a 6970 for abt 18k... also look at core i7 2600k proccy+ p67 mobo if u like...

DONT BUT NOW.... I SAID DONT

Sandy Bridge EX is round the cornet, and so is bulldozer

Even bigger, 22nm Ivy Bridge is slated to launch in 4 months

comp@ddict said:
DONT BUT NOW.... I SAID DONT

Sandy Bridge EX is round the cornet, and so is bulldozer
Even bigger, 22nm Ivy Bridge is slated to launch in 4 months
Errrr..... I think Ivy Bridge demo will be shown after 4 months. Not a launch.

if u really need a PC now go for one's with core i7...the dell PC for that price is a wimp...IMO u might wanna consider this

1. CPU- Intel core i7 950/ core i7 875K- ~14-15k

2. X58-UD3R/ Asus X58 sabertooth/ Asus P7p55D premium- ~9.5 - 10.5k

3. HD 6950 (1 GB) Xfire or GTX 580 ~ 27-28.5k

4. Corsair HX 750/850 or AX 850 - ~ 7 - 11.5 k

5. CM HAF 922- ~6k

6. Dell U2411- ~18k

7. OCZ 60 GB SSD- ~8k

8. Seagate 1 TB HDD- ~2.6k

9. 4GB or 6GB Gskill Reaper 1600MHZ- ~3.4 - 5.5k

10. KB+ mouse as per ur choice

Total - ~98 ~103k

devvfata1ity said:
if u really need a PC now go for one's with core i7...the dell PC for that price is a wimp...IMO u might wanna consider this
6. Dell U2411- ~18k
I could not find the U2411 anywhere, any links :S ?

^

Bruv it is the Dell U2311H Ultrasharp and yes I repeat that warning please go for the upcoming Bulldozer or rectified Sandy-Bridge based system.

+1
to wat alpha and most ppl suggested... Wait 1 month or so coz after 1 month u can build a much powerful rig by spending the same amount of money...

I would recommend to go for Sandy Bridge only.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

The i5 2500K easily beats i7 in almost every game. Has got more advantages like Lower price, updated motherboards, lower power consumption, better overclocking ability, etc. Just one drawback: p67 chipset bug, which will need motherboard replacement in April.

Moreover, for a gaming PC, you will need good gaming peripherals (which often get little attention during time of purchase, but matter alot):

Sound card: Xonar DX ~ 4.5k

Headphones: Roccat Kave / Audio Technica M50 / Audio Technica AD700 ~ 6k-7.3k

Speakers: Logitech X-540 / Altec Lansing MX6021 ~ 5.4k - 7k

Keyboard: Logitech G-15 ~ 3.5k

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder / Roccat Kone / Mionix Naos 5000 ~ 2.2k - 5.4k

Mouse Pad: Rantopad H3 / Razer Alpha Speed or Control / Everglide Titan / QcK plus ~ 0.4k - 1.6k

u might want to stay away from the Sandy Bridge series for right now.....Instead...can always check out the i5 and i7 series...

and as for Gaming gear -- Roccat all the way :) the Roccat Kone[plus] is legendary :)

Wow man , i hate such kind of threads .

Here is my suggestion 4 u boy .

I have a old powerful PC that can handle all the latest games with ease . It is slightly above your budget :( But i guess i can adjust a little .

Here is the config .

Intel p4 3.0 GHZ very fast , handles everything .

1 Gb ddr 2 sd ram . You can overclock even a Bull with it .

GPU : POV 8500gt : Fastest GPU in the world . I cant remember a game refusing to work with it .

PS : The GPU has 2 capacitors missing as a result some pixels seems missing in the bottom of the screen but its no big deal because on my Samsung 16 ' CRT you wont notice anything :) .

HDD : 40 gb Hynix P-ATA drive . These days it is used mostly for benchmarking since it is very fast .

Motherboard : I dont remember the manafacturer , i think they shutdown . Google it , its blue in color with black stripes . Anyway it works great with the combination . It has all features like Single channel memory , HDDI port , HIFI , Temperature sensing etc .

All these will cost you Rs 100500 But if you pay by bank transfer then i may give u a small discount So that it fits within your budget .

Ohh forgot to mention , shipping costs extra .

There was a similar thread on another forum few months ago , That guy had 1 post count and wanted to build a machine for 300k , I suggested him this since back then the prices were very competative , I wonder why he didnt respond and didnt post any trash afterwords .

My advice : Concentrate on your 12th and stop dreaming .

@ kvikram, the rig that Dell is giving you will cost about 60~70 grands in the market (with better quality components) if you build it. For that you get a mobo built by an unknown company, cheapest possible RAM (it is cheap already), shitty cooling, a no-name PSU and a 3 years warranty...! Anyway and if s, since it's probably a splurge on ur b'day or something, you'd rather go for an Alienware from Dell. Will be costlier by about 25~30 grands but at least you'd get better components...

Or if you have some sensibility, do a bit of research, need some help ask and there are quite a few people that can tell you at TE, what to buy, from where to buy and if possible would come and assemble it for you... Warranty of components, some will have more than 3 years, some lesser but for that kind of money, a hell lot more powerful system can be made if you can get over the hangover of buying a DELL PC with 3 YEARS WARRANTY ...!

cheers !!!

IMO never go for a branded pc especially a gaming one because you can always get the same assembled config provided in the branded one at half the cost,and also all the parts carry warranty if you are buying them.Look at the 450watt psu,in that budget you can get a corsair 750, so think before buying it

rohan_mhtr said:
I have a old powerful PC that can handle all the latest games with ease . It is slightly above your budget :( But i guess i can adjust a little .
Here is the config .
GPU : POV 8500gt : Fastest GPU in the world . I cant remember a game refusing to work with it .
PS : The GPU has 2 capacitors missing as a result some pixels seems missing in the bottom of the screen but its no big deal because on my Samsung 16 ' CRT you wont notice anything :) .
HDD : 40 gb Hynix P-ATA drive . These days it is used mostly for benchmarking since it is very fast .
Motherboard : I dont remember the manafacturer , i think they shutdown . Google it , its blue in color with black stripes . Anyway it works great with the combination . It has all features like Single channel memory , HDDI port , HIFI , Temperature sensing etc .
All these will cost you Rs 100500 But if you pay by bank transfer then i may give u a small discount So that it fits within your budget .
There was a similar thread on another forum few months ago , That guy had 1 post count and wanted to build a machine for 300k , I suggested him this since back then the prices were very competative , I wonder why he didnt respond and didnt post any trash afterwords .

Your configuration is almost three generations old (are you being sarcastic on purpose?). But your assesment is spot on.

ALPHA17 said:
Your configuration is almost three generations old (are you being sarcastic on purpose?). But your assesment is spot on.
No infact , its more then 3 year old , but u understand the reason for me posting , dont you ?

rohan_mhtr said:
Here is the config .

Lol.......thank god i have cleared my 12th.........XD

sometime make me feel

does it really matter what how many frames u get

honestly one cant spot the FPS difference between 45 and 55

i mean all it it takes somth gamin is to get 35 frames and just enjoy the games

rather then being so much focussed on monster my rig is

anyways just my opinion

Back