Building a gaming/recording rig for upto 40K. Help required.

quixand

Skilled
Questions
1. Q: What is your budget?
35-40k
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Do not own a PC at the moment but currently using Laptop – HP DV6 series
AMD Turion II M500 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
1 GB ATI 4650 Mobility Radeon

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Samsung 26†LN6C450 LCD. I’m planning to use it as display 24x7.

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5 2500k
GPU – ATI 5770/6850 or above

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade but not before 7-8 months
a. GPU – Will probably add another ATI 6850
b. Monitor (Full HD) – Recommendations needed.
c. RAM – If really required then 2GB

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a. Kolkata
b. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a. Gaming
b. Browsing
c. Desktop Processing
d. HTPC
e. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Don’t have enough PC building experience to know which brands to avoid.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
All genres. Latest releases.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
a. Gaming - higher the better
b. Normal Usage – text needs to be readable

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 9500

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H 7500

RAM Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600

HDD 1TB Seagate 7200.12 2700

GPU Sapphire HD6850 1GB 9500

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2200

PSU Corsair VX450 3500

Key Board & Mouse Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

ODD L.G./Samsung OEM SATA DVD-Writer 850

Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 950

Total 40000

Monitor (Full HD) – BenQ E2220HD @ 8K

Errr... Xtech you can't OC with a H67!! 'K' series and H67 doesnt make sense at all.
It should be 'K' series with P67 or non-K with H67/H61
Plus you are advising him to add another HD6850!!! The H67 mobo recommended is not XFire compatible and you have recommended a CX400 for future XFire expansion in mind!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@OP -Few months down the line there will be new 28nm fab based GPU which will take the performance per watt to another level and most probably it wont be worth to add another HD6850 at that time. It would be better to sell it off and go for a good midranger in the 10k-15k range.
Since you are not done many PC builds you sure you want to OC. SB i5 2500 3.3GHz is plenty fast for your usage! Unless you are an enthusiast who want to try things it doesnt matter much with the setup and usage you have mind.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

]
Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10300
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE 6500
RAM Corsair XMS 1333 MHz 4GB single stick 2250
HDD 1TB Seagate 7200.12 2700
GPU Sapphire HD6850 1GB GDDR5 9500
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2200
PSU Corsair VX450 3400
Key Board & Mouse Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
ODD L.G./Samsung OEM SATA DVD-Writer 850
Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 VS2621 1600
Total 40000

DarkAngel said:
Errr... Xtech you can't OC with a H67!! 'K' series and H67 doesnt make sense at all.

It should be 'K' series with P67 or non-K with H67/H61

Plus you are advising him to add another HD6850!!! The H67 mobo recommended is not XFire compatible and you have recommended a CX400 for future XFire expansion in mind!!!

Sigh. Messed up completely between two threads. :S :ashamed:

Post updated.

Thanks for the configs - a couple of things though

Is there a config possible under 40K w/ the i5 2500K? If not I'll settle for this.

@Xtech - Dude you are from Kolkata too any recommendations for stores? I was planning to get it from Chandni Market.

quixand said:
Thanks for the configs - a couple of things though

Is there a config possible under 40K w/ the i5 2500K? If not I'll settle for this.

No use getting i5 2500K if you not intended to overclock. You can get the non-K one for 1k lesser.

The K series have unlocked multi, so they are very easy to OC, where as non-K cant be OCed much. And the K series have better integrated graphics which is of no use to you since you are opting for a discrete GPU.

Anyways here is a possible "decent" config:-

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 11k and Intel DP67BG @8.5k

Obviously it overshoots your budget.

And, I would recommend you to first search for the Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H(B3) board. If you cant find it, then opt for the ASUS P8H67-M LE @6.5k. Note that this P8H67-M LE motherboard has only 2 RAM slots. So you have to go for a single 4GB XMS3 stick now, incase you want to add some memory later..

quixand said:
@Xtech - Dude you are from Kolkata too any recommendations for stores? I was planning to get it from Chandni Market.

Eastern Logica, MD Computers, Vedant Computer and Technocrat.

@Xtec - Thanks a ton for the tips. I'll probably look to get the 2500K, since the entire point of my buying a PC is that I've already pushed my laptop as far as it could go.
And I'm keeping my laptop for the time being so not going to get a new DVD Writer. Also, I have Altec Lansing 1221 so not looking for a new set of speakers. I'll put that into 2500k and MB.

Thanks again this gives me a great idea which parts to look for, I'll research them from my side and wait for price drops. :)

Back