Building a UPS for a 3.5 inch HDD - Tidbits

I didn't take pictures or document this build propely. So it is only a wall of text below. If you need more clarity on anything, I shall try to provide it to the best of my abilities.

This is mostly tidbits of information that I learnt along the way that I want to store on the internet because I will forget.

Why?

My HomeLab runs on an old HP Laptop. Laptop has a battery, so can handle power loss. However my media library is on a 3.5 inch HDD which is powered by an external 12V adapter and hence can't handle power loss. This results in a weird situation where I will be able to access Jellyfin but not play anything on it.

How?

This guide - Copied it as is and only changed a few things.

What did I use:

BMS - https://robu.in/product/3s-12v-25a-...ge-current-short-circuit-protection-function/

1714140334418.png

Why BMS and why this BMS?

A BMS - Battery Management System helps keep your Li-ion cells safe. It prevents overcharging and over discharging by cutting off the load/charge. You always choose a BMS based on the number of cells that you are planning to connect in series and the maximum load it can handle.

This specific BMS because it features load balancing between each series cell.

Why is this important?

Even if you use cells from the same batch, there are bound to be differences between 2 cells and this can at times lead to one cell taking more time to charge than the other. When you attempt to charge such cells, the circuit might cut off when the first cell reaches 4.2V or when the last cell reaches 4.2V. In either case, this can lead to overcharging/undercharging of a cell. By using a load balancing charger, we are eliminating this. This is because the load balancing charger passes current through a resistor and waits until all cells have been charged fully.

Atleast this is my understanding and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

18650 Cells - https://robu.in/product/bak-nmc-18650-2600mah-3c-lithium-ion-3-6v-battery/

1714140721574.png

BAK 3C Discharge rate 18650 cells.

First time buying Li-ion cells online. Usually I use old discarded PowerBank cells, but I've run out of supply of those.

They appear to be legit. I built mine in a 3S 2P configuration.

MOSFET -

Using a MOSFET here to switch between Mains and battery power. The Gate is connected to the power source and once there is no voltage across the gate, the MOSFET opens up the source and allows it pass to the drain (Battery to Boost converter)

1714141295868.png

The IRF540N is a N Channel MOSFET, meaning when voltage is present across the gate, it is closed. If voltage is absent, it opens (allows current to flow through).

Boost/Buck and Buck-Boost Converters:

What are these?

Buck converters take a voltage that is higher and convert it to a lower voltage efficiently. Examples - XL4015 and LM2596

Boost converters take a voltage that is lower and convert it to a higher voltage efficiently. Examples - XL6009 and XL6019.

Buck Boost converters take a voltage and are able to manipulate it to a higher or lower voltage efficiently.

My original idea was to use a boost converter at the output (XL6009) such that when the 3S pack goes below 12V, it is still able to supply 12V at the output.

However, the XL 6009 was unable to supply the required start up current for the HDD and kept failing. I assumed that the startup current would be less than 4A (max output of the XL6009) but it appears to not be the case.

So instead, I used one of these modules - https://robu.in/product/solar-wind-energy-charging-cc-cv-power-supply-module/

1714141900568.png

They are designed to be used to charge batteries with a constant current and constant voltage but they are very bad at it. (Will explain below)

Since these are buck boost converters, I set the voltage output to around 12.2V. This means that a fully charged battery will have it's voltage stepped down (12.6 to 12.2) and an almost discharged battery will have it's voltage stepped up (8.1 to 12.2V)

ALSO - If you are wondering about the 3 POTs on the module, this is what they do and here's how you control them (Took me a long time to figure this out. And the internet is wrong)

1st POT that is closest to the INPUT side is responsible for setting the voltage.
2nd POT is for lighting up a blue LED that lets you know when charging is complete.
3rd POT (closest to the output side) is for setting the constant current value.

To set the Voltage (1st POT), put your multimeter in DC voltage and measure at the output.
To set the Current (
3rd POT), put your multimeter in DC current and short the output with the multimeter leads. (2 red LEDs will glow. This is normal and intended)
To set the Charging completed status (2nd POT), set your required current and then choose a load that consumes only the current you would like to flow when charging is completed. Connect this load to the module and then turn the POT until a blue/green LED lights up. This Pot acts as a percentage (1-100%) of the constant current)

You got confused didn't you? Because I did.

Here's an example, I want my cells to charge at 2A. This is my constant current (CC) value.

I want the module to blink blue or indicate charging is done when 60mA current (3% of CC) flows through the load. To do this, I first set the CC (3rd POT) to 2A. Then I connect a load, (say a white LED) that consumes 60mA current. Now, I turn the 2nd POT until the blue LED glows. This indicates charging is completed.

Most Online manuals and guides state that blue is charging and red is charged.

They are WRONG.

DO NOT USE THESE MODULES TO CHARGE YOUR 18650 CELLS in a permanent setup (or any other cells for that matter)

Why?

When this module is powered up, it takes a few milliseconds to set it's output current only after which the load should be connected. If you fail to do this and the load is connected directly to the module as it is being powered, the module tends to go haywire and push large voltages through the load. This is obviously bad and downright dangerous for 18650 cells.

You might ask me, if that is the case, why am I using it for powering the HDD, this is because the module is always powered on. Either by the mains voltage or from the battery. Hence it is safe to state that this is not an issue.

I was initially supposed to use these to charge my 18650 pack, by setting input voltage to a constant 12.65V and current to 500mA. But ever since I observed this behaviour, I had to improvise.

For charging my 3S pack, I decided to use an XL4015 CC CV module. I had to use these since other boost converters were way more expensive.

But this brings with it it's own set of problems. The XL4015 is a buck converter. ie.) It takes a higher voltage and converts it to a lower one. It cannot step up or increase the voltage. This meant that my power supply should be able to supply more than 12.6 V. However this was not the case with my supply.

Hence my ingenious idea to use a buck - boost converter before the buck converter and increase the supply voltage to 13.1V. My charging current was anyway set to a low 500mA, so I wasn't particularly worried about blowing something up.

This allows me to plug in any voltage below 30V and as long as it can supply the required current, the batteries will be charged and the HDD will be powered.

If you've read through this messy and unorganised wall of text, congratulations, you have more patience than me.

Regards,
badwhitevision

Last edited:
In my specific case, I use an SDR to monitor HAM radio channels, I was expecting ripples to show up as floor noise on the spectrum(especially since it had shown up on an earlier build), but there was no significant change to the noise floor. I was advised an LC choke of 100nF and 100uH on the output to reduce ripple, but adding this significantly increased the noise floor.

IMO, the PSU that supplies the mains DC voltage is also a point of concern for ripple. If the output from that isn't clean, you can't expect this to magically change too. Unless, they are so perfectly matched that they cancel out each other.

However, I don't have an oscilloscope to measure and give you a factual answer.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of effort went into it. I applaud the DIY spirit as long as appropriate care is taken.
I only have two questions - 1) Cost and 2) why not use any of the Router Ups widely available?

Thank you @ibose.

Cost wise, this build ran me approximately 2k.

Batteries costed ₹700 (6 cells).
The BMS and buck/boost converters were all together somewhere around ₹800.

Other passive components (heatsinks, diodes, resistors, capacitors and the MOSFET) must have cost another ₹150.

So expenses per se were approx ₹1700.

I spent a good 10-12 hours reading and working.

Why not router UPS?

3 reasons:

1. I like the DIY aspect.

2. Infinitely customizable. Like I posted in an other thread, I can modify this to include an ESP32 that safely shuts down the lab or let's me know something is wrong or measure current consumption etc etc.

3. They usually don't advertise the amp ratings and as observed in my case, using a simple boost converter (XL 6009 - which is what I suspect they all use) will not allow this to work, because of the startup current required for the HDD. (or even worse - they are just a 3S battery pack that is charged directly via mains and is always connected to the load.) This will definitely 100% cause death of the 18650 cells in a very short span of time)

Bonus -
4. No cheap AC UPS, because cheap ones are all modified sine wave and somewhere I read that electronics don't do too well to being run on modified sine wave for long periods and these UPS' are solely intended for preventing data loss.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Those cheap mini UPS are glorified powerbanks. Quite unreliable. They provide output through batteries all the time. That's why they work for a couple of months only. To stay in the game, some companies now offer periodic battery replacements.

I also stuff off robu to make myself a mini ups but didn't got time. These threads make me to go at it again but i still don't have time.
Nice work DIY'ing though.

I also stuff off robu to make myself a mini ups but didn't got time. These threads make me to go at it again but i still don't have time.
Nice work DIY'ing though.
Same story here. I have purchased a crap load of components from robu to build one such UPS but never got time. Then these DC ups started appearing on the market, and I completely shelved my project.

Same story here. I have purchased a crap load of components from robu to build one such UPS but never got time. Then these DC ups started appearing on the market, and I completely shelved my project.
I wud still like to make one....but also i'm thinking of putting in lifepo4 battery in my ups this time. So i might do diy or just get one from robu.

Back