PC Peripherals Building my new rig

Hi guys,
My mobo conked out, so Im looking for an upgrade.
I need to buy the following items:
2) A quality Mobo that would support AMD X2 550 BE proccy, especially if it will help in unlocking the extra cores. Range 5-9k.
3) A good DDR2 2x2GB memory. Range : 2-4k
4) PSU: Im torn between Antec Earthwatts 550W, Corsair VX550, Tagan TG600-U37 and Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W. Which is the best among the four? Whats the difference between u33 and u37 of Tagan?
5) Monitor : Looking for a 22" or 24" LCD monitor. heard Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22 inch e-IPS Widescreen is very good. But looks like its priced 16.5k? Range 10k-13k

Thanks in advance

the same thing again ....

for that budget, have a look at MSI GD65.

And VX550 is the best of the lot. If u can than try to get HX520 (Modular), it will do good for a med-end rig easily !!!

Though the Earthwatts from Antec is a good PSU I would still recommend going with either the Corsair VX or the CoolerMaster simply from a warranty prespective (3 vs. 5).

RoBoGhOsT said:
harryneopotter was talking about 790GX G65

Yea.... was confused with the name of the 790FX board which is GD-70.

MSI G65 will cost u around 7.5k ...and its a great board !!
And instead if the 550W PSU's, have a look at the HX520, as its a modular PSU, so there will be less cable clutter, resulting in better airflow, means less heat, means more efficiency and and longer life of components !!!

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I was just checking out the MSI 790GX G65 mobo, and it looks like a really good board.
But i noticed that it supports DDR3 memory only.
Will this support the memory that Im planning to buy?
G.Skill PI Blacks PC6400 4GB , which I think is DDR2.

If not, are there any RAMs that are equal or better than the PI. Blacks?
OR inversely, any DDR2 mobo thats SB710/SB750 thats quality vfm?

The config I was looking to buy was:
CPU : Phenom II X2 550 BE
Mobo : (now undecided)
RAM : (again undecided)
PSU : Corsair 550VX or HX520 (depending on the price.)
Montior : Dell UltraSharp 2209WA(price concerns) (or) Dell S2409W (or) Samsung 22" 2233SW. (Ill check out the reviews for Benq E2200HD)

As you can see, Im nowhere near the final stages of selecting my rig.:S

hey sam, I’m in the same dilemma as u are... planning to build a new sys.. but am undecided about the monitor... I think the monitors that have been suggested by most are -
  • Dell 2209WA (costly)
  • Samsung 22" 2233SW.
  • Samsung p2350
  • Benq E2200HD
But which one would be the best among these… except of course the dell 2209wa which is a e-ips monitor is thus is the best in the 22â€-23†space… now come to think of it, someone should really start the “which is the best 22â€-23†TN Monitor?†thread:eek:hyeah:

Ok, so i finally more or less decided on the following config.:)

CPU : AMD Phenom X2 550 BE
Mobo : MSI DKA790GX PLATINUM
RAM : G.Skill PI Blacks PC6400 4GB
PSU : Corsair 550VX
Montior : (most probably) Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Any suggestions/criticisms regd the above config?
I decided to choose DDR2 over DDR3, as there is only a slight performance increase with DDR3.

I hope these will be available in Lamington Road.
Do you have any idea of sellers here that would provide the best prices wrt to the above config?

If you are oging to upgrade when the 8series chipsets come then get DDR2for now. If you are going to keep this rig for a long time get DDR3.

@DevinWolf
How is the G Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD DM?
I could find any reviews for it, and its CAS Latency is shown as 8-8-8-24.
How would it be in terms of performance?

You mean the Tridents. Awesome is the word.

Low latency of 8 ( common is 9), low voltage of 1.65V ( take it to 1.7V ,AMDs don't fry on high votages , and take the latency to 7 or increase the speed to 1800MHz ), high speed 1600MHz.

ok,so I called Primeabgb today, and they didn't have most of the stuff I wanted.
Phenom II 550 is there, but they dont have MSI DKA790GX PLATINUM for DDR2 or MSI 790FX GD70 for DDR3
Instead they said they have MSI 785GM-E65 for DDR3 and Biostar Ta790GXBE
for DDR2
G.Skills are out of stock and I need to wait till next week.

So how is the MSI 785GM-E65? Reviews give it a 8.5/10.
Specs say it supports RAM upto DDR3 800/1066/1333 while the DDR3 RAM, GSkill Tridents mentioned by DevinWolf (G Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD DM) is 1600.

So is this mobo compatible with the g.skills? or rather, is a DDR3 1600 RAM compatible with a 1333 mobo?

PS: Some other forums say going for DDR3 is not worth it, because as of now, there's not much of a performance difference. On the other hand, getting DDR2 now may not be future-ready, it can be phased out anytime.... Im so totally confused!!!:huh:

Back