Budget 31-40k Building my very first PC @ 40k [CPU+Mobo+RAM+PSU+Cabinet]

Should I go for AMD/Intel CPU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phenomenal

Disciple
Special Note : I am a computer engineering student.Assembling for the first time.
Doing this for better understanding and practical knowledge.
Plan to make awesome use of this for years to come so need it to be FUTURE-PROOF!
Any idea/advice/suggestion you give is really appreciated and I want to thank you for the same.
:)

1. Q: What is your budget?

• 40K + 5K fluctuations and slight changes (if its REALLY worth it!)
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• HDD - Seagate SATA 500GB 5400RPM
    • Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 510n
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

• HDD - Seagate SATA 500GB 5400RPM
    • Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 510n (Can change if recommend by you)
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5-3570K (Since it has HD4000,I won't buy a GFX card)
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard (USB 3.0 ports a must)
    • PSU
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2GB x 2(1600MHz ?? )
    • Cabinet
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

• Will upgrade OS to Widows 8 Later
    • GFX card if required.
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

• Mumbai (Lammy road or a local dealer)
    • Open to online purchase via Flipkart
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

• NO
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• Browsing (20 tabs in 3 browsers)
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Ebook reading,HD Videos
    • Adobe Photoshop,JAVA,HTML
    • Watching HD movies+tv shows.

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    a.For PSU - I heard that most brands pushed by local dealers are bad.Good ones are Corsair,Seasonic.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

• Caesar 3
    • CounterStrike GO
    • GTA IV
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    Please suggest a monitor but this will be outside of the 40k.
    Mainly for HD movies and browsing (reading stuff online)
    Gaming - 1280x728

Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

• Yes if required for overall performance and not just for gaming later.
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Ubuntu
    • Windows 8 later

Please ...

1. suggest the latest processors which work great ie. that are tested since it needs to be future-proof,
  2. if it costs more and if its worth it for my use,please mention that as well.
  3. if you are suggesting some variation,please mention the technical reason.
  4. Your honest opinion,it's HIGHLY VALUED!

Other Questions I have...

1) For PSU,how can I decide the wattage rating?

2) For RAM should i go for 1600 MHz since it will be faster?

3) What are the most important features of a Mobo like which slots/specs it MUST have?

4) How much difference in the clock frequency is actually significant?For eg,what would be the difference of performance for file conversion is seconds for processors with a diff of 300MHz with same components.

5) I want the PC to start in less than 30-40 seconds in the beginning (less apps),for this which component would matter the most?

If there's anything else I should add,please mention that as well.

THANKS A LOT!!!
:lol:

This is what I would suggest @Phenomenal --

Intel Core i5 3450 ~12500/- [the Core i5 3570k's HD4000 iGP will not be enough for gaming]
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance OR RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3600/-
AMD HD7750 [900MHz] ~7000/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5000/- [use the 5400RPM drive as a back-up and data dump, using that as the main drive will slow down your boot-up]
HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/-
Cooler Master GX450W ~3500/-
NZXT Gamma ~2400/-
DELL IN2030M ~6500/- [if you want to watch HD RIPz and lower the RIG's power footprint]
LOGITECH K200 multimedia combo ~700/-
APC BR600VA-IN ~1900/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Phenomenal

Yes you should buy a dedicated mid range gpu like 7750/gtx550ti to games in 720p resolution.. HD4000 is enough only for rendering HD stuff not more then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I would suggest Phenomenal --

Intel Core i5 3450 ~12500/- [the Core i5 3570k's HD4000 iGP will not be enough for gaming]
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/- [Need more usb 3.0 ports if possible]
Corsair Vengeance OR RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3600/-
AMD HD7750 [900MHz] ~7000/-4.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5000/- [use the 5400RPM drive as a back-up and data dump, using that as the main drive will slow down your boot-up]
[10-15 second delay is okay,i'll be using an SSD soon]
HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/- [Not needed,thanks]
Cooler Master GX450W ~3500/- [Anything in Corsair please?]
NZXT Gamma ~2400/-
DELL IN2030M ~6500/- [if you want to watch HD RIPz and lower the RIG's power footprint]
LOGITECH K200 multimedia combo ~700/- [Not needed,thanks]
APC BR600VA-IN ~1900/- [Not needed,thanks]

Hi,thanks for the quick reply :
1. If only for performance would 3570K be better or should I go for 3550 (better clock frequency vs 3450)
2. Mobo - it doesn't have MOSFET cooling and limited rear options,anything better than this?
3. Should buy the UPS,i live in Mumbai,would that be required?
4. Can I skip the GFX card for now since it won't be used for gaming?

Thanks.

Won't be using it for Games as of now,only movies and tv shows HD.
So is it okay i avoid the GFX card?

Yes HD4000 is good untill you are not into gaming and whenever you want to play games just put a gpu into it. But atleast GX450W/ CX500 PSU so that you will not get any trouble whenever you plan for gpu

Hi,thanks for the quick reply :
1. If only for performance would 3570K be better or should I go for 3550 (better clock frequency vs 3450)
2. Mobo - it doesn't have MOSFET cooling and limited rear options,anything better than this?
3. Should buy the UPS,i live in Mumbai,would that be required?
4. Can I skip the GFX card for now since it won't be used for gaming?

You are welcome Phenomenal, the answers to the queries you have posed --
  • As you are not over-clocking and are on a tight budget, I strictly tell you to stick with the Core i5 3450. The Core i5 3550 is the same chip with a 200MHz boost with a price increment of ~1500/- INR. The Core i5 3570k will be wasted in your RIG as you are not going to over-clock and that is the main and only advantage it has over the former chips.
  • You do not require MOSFET cooling [because you are not over-clocking] and the B75 chipsets are frugal when it comes to power consumption. Most importantly the rear I/O panel is very good on the motherboard, it even has a front USB 3.0 adapter socket [no need to route the USB 3.0 for the front by sacrificing rear-ports anymore]. If you are adamant on all the extra goodies prepare to shell out in excess of ~9500/- for a H77 based motherboards; on the lines of the ASUS P8H77-V and above.
  • Never hurts to be safe man. Voltage fluctuations can kill your RIG irrespective of where you stay.
  • For the SMPS from Corsair stables the Corsair CX v2430W should be enough for you. If you want more muscle, go for the Corsair GS500W ~4000/-.
  • You can skip it, but remember the HD2500 iGP on the Core i5 3450 will suffice only for viewing HD content and having the desktop maxed out [native resolution of the monitor] and the system-RAM will be shared by the iGP. So if you want to game [even the most rudimentary of titles I suggest that you go for the HD7750 OR more powerful card].

Guys for better future-proofing should I consider a better PSU in the 600-650W range since it costs only about 0.5-1K more than the one suggested.
I'll be buying a 3rd Gen INTEL proccy either 3450,3550,3570K
So which chipset would be compatible and can be used for ocing (in case i got for 3570K)

Also which of the following mobos are nice? (future-proofing reqd)

ASRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard @ 8.7K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard @ 10.6k

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Motherboard @9.7K
Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard @ 10.2K
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H Motherboard @ 6.9K
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard @ 4.4K

ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard @ 10.4K
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO @ 13K

ASUS P8Z77-VLX Motherboard @ 11.3K

ASUS P8H77-M Motherboard @ 8.6K
ASUS P8H77-M PRO Motherboard @ 10.1K

Which chipset supports 3rd gen and which one is the best?

Thanks.

Guys for better future-proofing should I consider a better PSU in the 600-650W range since it costs only about 0.5-1K more than the one suggested.

Also which of the following mobos are nice? (future-proofing reqd)

ASRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard @ 8.7K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard @ 10.6k

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Motherboard @9.7K
Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard @ 10.2K
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H Motherboard @ 6.9K
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard @ 4.4K

ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard @ 10.4K
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO @ 13K

ASUS P8Z77-VLX Motherboard @ 11.3K

ASUS P8H77-M Motherboard @ 8.6K
ASUS P8H77-M PRO Motherboard @ 10.1K

All the motherboards that you list here are Intel Panther-Point chipset based motherboards. They were released in conjunction with the current crop of Ivy-Bridge processors and are compatible with the same. These motherboards should be fine for the next ~3 years but in Q2 2013 Intel will release Haswell chips which will come with series 8* motherboards and be based on the Socket LGA1150 [5 pins less than the current LGA1155]. This will make your current buy incompatible with future generation processors and this something you have to live with.

As for the option of over-clocking, the motherboards which are based on the Z77 chipset are the ones which can over-clock the Core i5 3570k processor, rest H77 / B75 based offerings are not over-clockable at all and if you go for a -k marked processor it will be a waste.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheerio!

Fixed the rig finally :
Thanks to Alpha17 from here and VKL,Cilius [from TDF]

CPU Intel i5-3570K (for speed + inbuilt GPU)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 ATX (for the USB 3.0 ports and awesome reviews!)
RAM Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 - DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 1X4gb (for the speed,anything better please let me know :) )
Cabinet Corsair Carbide 400R (for the loads of space! and 2 USB3.0 front ports)

HDD Seagate SATA 5400RPM 500GB (already have this!)
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 510N (already have this!)
Keyboard+Mouse! (already have this!)
Seasonic 620W (for future-proofing and rep)

Please suggest changes alongwith suitable reasons.
All of this fits the budget.
Recommendations appreciated on : RAM (any better model),PSU(less power ?),Cabinet(any other thing costing less?)

Thanks. :D

its perfect, dont change anything, if u dont wanna go all out on the cabby id suggest the nzxt 210 source elite for 2600 . i have it .. its damn good in white plus plenty of space for everything that u might need, ,, and u slap another stick of ram to 8gb. i say keep the 620 psu for a bit of headroom in the future. i did a very similar build, even runnin the same 2.5 incher 5400rpm drive haha

CPU Intel i5-3570K (for speed + inbuilt GPU)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 ATX (for the USB 3.0 ports and awesome reviews!)
RAM Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 - DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 1X4gb (for the speed,anything better please let me know :) )
Cabinet Corsair Carbide 400R (for the loads of space! and 2 USB3.0 front ports)

HDD Seagate SATA 5400RPM 500GB (already have this!)
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 510N (already have this!)
Keyboard+Mouse! (already have this!)
Seasonic 620W (for future-proofing and rep)

Please suggest changes alongwith suitable reasons.
All of this fits the budget.
Recommendations appreciated on : RAM (any better model),PSU(less power ?),Cabinet(any other thing costing less?)

Even if you plan to add a graphics card in the future, I do not see the need of a 600W SMPS, the Seasonic S12II 520W should be more than sufficient [it can handle cards upto the GTX670 no trouble].

For RAM you can look at the equivalent G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz kit, though there is no performance difference between the two; get whichever kit is cheaper on the pocket.

Rest all components check out fine, happy RIG building. Cheerio!

@ALPHA17 Thanks a lot ! :D going for GSKILL now,psu mostly 620 considering ssd+powered devices+future needs.
THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE SUPPORT,i will be in touch :D

Thanks to others too who advised,will definitely post my rig and stay @ TE to help out :D

Back