Building New PC

sarveshm123

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 25K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2. Motherboard - MSIK8 939
3. GPU - Onboard Nvidia6100
4. RAM - Hynix 512MB DDR
5. Monitor - LGW1942S LCD
6. SMPS - Standard with Chassis
7. Wireless Keyboard Mouse
8. Altec Lansing 2.1 channel Speaker
9. 80GB Sata HDD
10. Sony DVD Writer

Mine is 4 year old system :)

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1 . Monitor - LGW1942S LCD
2. Wireless Keyboard Mouse
3. Altec Lansing 2.1 channel Speaker
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X2 Processor 555 3.2GHz BE
2. Motherboard - ASRock 890GX Extreme3 MB or Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 2.0)
3. GPU - SAPPHIRE HD 5570 1GB DDR3 HDMI
4. Chassis - CM ATI Ruby Edition AI 334 w/o power supply
5. PS - 600W CM Extreme
6. HDD - 250GB * 2

Suggestions welcome to customize the above conf. Trying to balance between price and performance :)

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Yes, But I might go for 6 core AMD CPU in future for some specific needs.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Mumbai

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming
2. HD Movies /Internet
3. VMware

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. AMD + ATI combo preffered.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NFS, POP, Crysis, Splinter Cell. Prefer first person shooter but do try others also.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Desktop - 1152x864 (Current sys is low on memory so keep this at minimum while playing of whatever i can)

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows XP / Win 7 (Wish to try)
2. Linux (Inside VM)

Hello and wlcome to TE.

Get the Corsair VX450 power supply.Rather than reiterating what has already been said several times,I'd point you to this sticky on buying a PSU.

As for the hard disks I'm guessing your going to raid 0 them which I personally don't recommend but I'm going to assume you know what your doing but even if you are going to raid go for 500Gb*2 as the price difference is crazy low,only 250-300 more per drive.Check here for prices.

I'm not a big fan of these gpu branded cabbys.Push the price up unnecessarily and you end up taking sides and you'd feel stupid if the other company has better cards and you don't end up buying them to avoid the obvious embarrassment.

Get the same cabby without the branding but take a look at the nzxt gamma which is very popular in this price range.Its good features available in cabbies twice its price and you might actually save a thousand or more bucks if you stay in Mumbai.

I'm not sure about the GPU,you should seriously consider checking out the used market if you can't raise your budget.Sure its got eye infinity and dx11 and stuff but they're pointless for cards at this price range.Whats the point of hdmi when your native resolution is 1440 something.If you plan on upgrading the monitor then this card would bottleneck it in gaming anyways.Get the 4770/4850 used or get a cheap ass used card for less than 1000 bucks and wait till you've got a better budget.Some of the 4770/4850s have hdmi I think but dvi to hdmi is just as good enough.

You haven't mentioned how much Ram you need btw.

I'm not familiar with amd boards so no comments on that.

Previewing my comment,I think my writing might be coming off as a bit smug but let me tell you that not my intention :)

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD AthlonII X4 635 5000

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3/ Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H/ MSI 880GMA-E45 5700

RAM 2GB Corsair Value 1333MHz DDRIII 2400

HDD 500 GB Seagate 7200.12 1900

GPU Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 5100

Cabinet NZXT Gamma/ CM Elite 3xx 2100

PSU/SMPS Corsair CX 400 2700

ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Total ~26k

This would give u true quad core for ur VM Ware needs and for the 19" monitor the HD5670+AthlonII X4 would suffice for most games at medium-high settings. Invest in a good PSU like the Corsair one and avoid CM Extreme Power and Extreme Power plus series.

Nice work on the table.I still would disagree on the GPU recommendation though.Nothing less that a 57xx if your buying new.The performance difference between anything less and a 4770/4850 is just too big to ignore.Crysis benches for 5670 vs other cards.If the seller is a senior member and there is still warranty left then there is little reason to be wary.He could actually end up saving some money.

@Arun
Thanks for the Welcome. I can strech on my budget to 35K :) (Is it enuff :D. i knw its never enuff). As for PSU, i need the one which will support a crossfire mode (not the Hybrid) as I plan to put a another GPU in the system in two months time. Plus will upgrade my LCD also at same time. Going through the PSU Sticky. Sorry Forgot to write about this in first post.

And HDD, I was thinking of same going for 500GB would be better and i had planned mirroring not JBOD with 250 as I hv seen lot of these high capacity drives are failing these days. :( Will mirroring affects performance of games ???

For Cabby, I have been using PC at home for last 8 years and been using black chassis all the time. So kinda bored with black ones. so looking for something different. Agree ur point of branded cabby. Will look which will give me room for Crossfire , cooling req rather than looks. Any Recommendations? Looking at NZXT .

GPU not yet finalised just tentative. I m not fan of used electronic stuff much. prefer new ones.

RAM 2GB now and double in 3 months time.(For VM esp.)

@DarkAngel
Thanks for the table. As mentioned above increased the budget since i would like to go for crossfire. So guess the table will change. Which is why i had thought of going for AsRock 890GX. I am getting Phenom X2 555 BE & ASRock 890 at 12000k combo. What do u think of ASRock ?

Finally got my new computer assembled. :)

AMD Athlon II X3 425
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
2GB Kingston DDRIII 1333Mhz RAM
500GB Seagate SATA3 HDD
CoolerMaster RC310 Chassis
CoolerMaster GX 550W PSU

One question
I want to sell off my old components, where should i post them ?
Thanks.

Currently on stock cooler. So far I hv not overclocked or anything but board installation was breeze. Quality of the product looks good. Performance-wise not yet any kind of benchmarks. Still in process of completing the conf, work in progress . :)

Back