Bully - Discussion Thread

cowax

Disciple
Finally...

Rockstar, the maker of best-selling video game series "Grant Theft Auto" said on Wednesday it would launch in October "Bully", a game with themes of school fighting that has anti-violence critics up in arms.

The game's main character is 15-year-old Jimmy Hopkins, who must defend himself against school bullies at a fictional U.S. boarding school called Bullworth Academy, while dealing with characters ranging from nerds and jocks to authoritarian prefects.

Weapons included baseball bats that break after several blows, stink bombs and bags of marbles that when strategically thrown will lay flat most pursuers.

"Finally 'Bully' can speak for itself. People can look at the game and see what it is and what it's not," company spokesman Rodney Walker said.

In March, Florida's Miami-Dade County School Board called on retailers not to sell the game to minors and required the school district to warn parents about potentially harmful effects of playing violent video games.

In a recent demonstration of "Bully", which Rockstar said has not yet been rated, the fighting scenes did not include blood or result in the death of characters.

"We think the school environment is a universal experience that so many people relate to," said Walker, who added that criticism of "Bully" is unique in that it had preceded the release of the game, which has been kept under tight wraps.

Controversial games are nothing new at Rockstar, a unit of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research), which is the developer of the best-selling urban action game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas".

That game -- in which the main character robs and kills his way across a mythical U.S. state called San Andreas to save his family and take control of the streets -- got caught in a scandal over an explicit sex scene known as "hot coffee," which could be unlocked with a downloaded file.

source: Reuters.com

this game will be awesome, ive known about the game for a long time and watching the trailer made be realize that this game will be just like the real thing.

the concept for this game is very unique indeed.

Rockstar has told Eurogamer that controversial PS2 title Bully is getting a name change.

From now on, the game will be known rather less catchily as Canis Canem Edit - Latin for Dog Eat Dog.

sspreviewcceps2fobbbfc15tbcxg8.jpg

At this stage, Rockstar isn't saying why the name's been changed. But it's not difficult to have a guess, when you consider all the criticism it's had from anti-bullying campaigners, members of parliament and, er, peaceaholics.

So, does this mean the game will be delayed while they reprint the boxes and press a load of new discs? Apparently not, with a Rockstar spokesperson telling us, "The game is set for release in October," just like it always has been.

Meanwhile, rumours that Rockstar's other forthcoming game will be retitled Biggus Nickus Autorum IV are completely made up.

^ Yeah what he said.

TBH, it might become a flop infact! C'mon Bully came on October 2006.. Damn it's almost been 2 years now! How'd they think gamers would accept that ?

=CrAzYG33K= said:
^ Yeah what he said.
TBH, it might become a flop infact! C'mon Bully came on October 2006.. Damn it's almost been 2 years now! How'd they think gamers would accept that ?
Not sure either.Though people without PS2 still try to play this game using an emulator.Rockstar finally wants to cash in on it's PC version after getting it ported onto Xbox 360 a while back.

I thought this was some kind of Bullet racing game
Bullet racing? What's that? :p

Guys !

This is one game all GTA series Fans should play...

trust me . its good :) infact better than current letdowns like Farcry2 and Brother in Arms.

i have been playing it past 2 days and have already completed 12% of the game progress...

its one of the best ports to be sent on PC which really shows it shine if played with an Xbox 360 controller.

i have been playin this game on my 3008wfp:

Resolution: 2500*1600

Anti Aliasing: 8X

Shadows: Max

it beats Xbox360 version hands down. :D

Note:

there are many who have complained on various forums that they get to see glitches and graphical issues and frequent freeze up in the game.

BUT,

there are many like me also there who have not faced any bit of problem.

maybe its a GPU issue... (i am on ATI.. its workin with all ati`s and some Nvidia`s)

hence i recommend you to try this game for sure....

xxx.2shared.com/file/4168926/8a8be9e6/BullyFile1.html

if for anyone... the game stuck after the prinicpal scene... use the above savegame.

credits to: Bodster007=TL

Got it long back. Told ya'll it was a good game. :bleh:

The only real annoying thing is the outside environment looks darn hazy & frames are locked at 30Fps. Even wit V-Sync OFF it won't budge. Frame rates are real dodgy & drops at times but come back quickly. Got my 360 controller working perfectly with it. The graphics look really awesome. Much better than the PS2 version. No other issues apart from that. No glitches no locks ups.

A few screenshot for those who are curious to know how it looks:

This one awesome game. But guess the PC port is somewhat buggy.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Got it long back. Told ya'll it was a good game. :bleh:

The only real annoying thing is the outside environment looks darn hazy & frames are locked at 30Fps. Even wit V-Sync OFF it won't budge. Frame rates are real dodgy & drops at times but come back quickly. Got my 360 controller working perfectly with it. The graphics look really awesome. Much better than the PS2 version. No other issues apart from that. No glitches no locks ups.

even this problem can be avoided by turning shadows OFF :D

Bluffmaster said:
Colors look washed out in the PC version.

That's just the screenshots. The indoors have excellent colour blending but the outdoors looks like it's been nuked with a smoke grenade. :(

@Dinesh: Will try that now. Hope it works.

UPDATE: Just tried with shadows off & it didn't work much. I did find a work around though. Just increased the brightness to 8 & now the outside looks very good. Fuzziness has been removed a lot & colours seem more vibrant. One more thing to be added is that the Sound in stereo mode seems to suppress the vocals on a 2 channel speaker. Once you switch to surround the speech increases dramatically. But the audio still sounds a bit jarry & not very clear.

Ethan_Hunt said:
That's just the screenshots. The indoors have excellent colour blending but the outdoors looks like it's been nuked with a smoke grenade. :(

@Dinesh: Will try that now. Hope it works.

UPDATE: Just tried with shadows off & it didn't work much. I did find a work around though. Just increased the brightness to 8 & now the outside looks very good. Fuzziness has been removed a lot & colours seem more vibrant. One more thing to be added is that the Sound in stereo mode seems to suppress the vocals on a 2 channel speaker. Once you switch to surround the speech increases dramatically. But the audio still sounds a bit jarry & not very clear.

surround issue really sucks :(

i can hear footsteps of everyone walkin like kataak kataak.... its so irritating :p

i have put it under stereo mode and my Z5500 pod has taken the responsibility of mixing it to 5.1 via prologic :D

Back