Laptops Busted my macbook pro while adding second hdd , need help

gauviz

Adept
I feel like a complete idiot.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was trying to install a second hdd in the optical drive slot of my macbook pro 2011.
For this i followed video's online and had to first remove the battery connector.
I used a knife (what an idiot i am) to pry it out , but this caused a small spark.
Now when i put everything back together, my mac is not powering up at all and not even charging.
Even the battery indicator is not working.

Does Apple repair macs out of warranty, esp. if i have already messed with it ?
Do they charge a lot ?
Any one has any experience getting mac repaired from any local vendor in Mumbai?

Any help will be appreciated.

Yes. But it will cost you - on a much higher side. I don't have experience in Mumbai. But something similar happened in my town and Apple advised me to replace the motherboard and quoted a price of 35K. I escalated this to their manager but after much persuasion they agreed to do it at 32K. But I did not go ahead. The Macbook Pro is still lying with me and I am trying to find a local repairer who can do it for me. Yet to find one in my town.

Yes you are one hell of an idiot. Glad you agreed to that.
Knife and all??? Were you into some surgery in an icu??

Whatever..

I have Andheri address for your mac query but as manoja2k mentioned it will surely cost you a bomb or a missile. And mind it their technicians are pretty smart enough to realize what exactly happened. So be prepare with your honest answers.
They might even say that your display/hdd/battery is gone as well but then its upto you how smart you act.

I have worked at that apple center and they are pathetic. Not badmouthing but thats what I have observed their for ipods/macbooks/g3/g5s etc. Their replacement parts come from Bangalore. They also do a lot of hera-pheri like putting your workable ram into somebody elses system for his urgent/vip client delivery and vice-versa. And you have to bear cost for new ram in spite of no fault.

Not trying to scare you but if want to change your faulty part then stand by your words that your ram/hdd is good and all this happened suddenly. Also fake them that you are technical person as well so they wont fool you easily.

BTW did the knife touch the mobo and had spark or how?

Seems like i touched the battery connector pins on the motherboard and that is when i saw the spark.
I loved my mac so much and have been in depression since then.

I might travel to HK next year , it think it'll be easy to get this repaired there.

In most probability the knife used to pry the connector out of its slot shorted some pins. This has likely caused the motherboard/battery or both to fry.

A motherboard replacement will set you back a pretty penny, a battery will likely be cheaper. Having the apple support center troubleshoot the issue should be your first step. Depending on the diagnosis, you can pursue it with a local repair shop who may be able to source parts cheaper.

Back