Graphic Cards Buy HD 7870 or GTX 570

Ok so here is the update, I asked my bro for a GTX 670... He said ok he will get it... but then i started feeeling really guilty cuz its his money and im not buying from my own... My friends kinda told me that 400$ is too much for a card (for a student like me atleast).. SO i thought ill just settle with a 7850 or GTX 560Ti, sorry if i had changed the topic.. but kinda guilty
<

SO i thought ill just settle with a 7850 or GTX 560Ti, sorry if i had changed the topic.. but kinda guilty
sad.gif

It's fine Sire, not a big deal atleast you have a concious to boast off. Jokes aside down to business --

A HD 7850 will be perfect for you vis-a-vis the GTX 560Ti, but can you tell us when this PC is coming to India?

Because if this comes ~June --> July and the GTX 660Ti is out I think it will be prudent to wait for that there and go for that particular card [depending on the benchmarks, in which I see AMD being forced back again].

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Hey guys i have bought the HD 7850, it has reached my bros place and he is bringing it to india by MAY27th :D , As i said b4 i made my decision sure that costly cards would be bought with my own money :).. Anyways he is bringing his motherboard http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68MA-ED55--B3-.html#/?div=Detail this as well... He has 8GB samsung RAM im planning to sell it and buy 1. G.SKILL RIPJAWSX1600 or 2.Corshair Vengeance , can anyone tell me which is better? moreover, this mobo link states " Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC) DRAM, 32GB Max " l.. what does that * stand for next to 1600? Can i buy 1600 or it will go down to 1333?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Oh okay m not buying a new one. my bro bought that sometime back he is bringing it here as he is not using it, may i know if u said that cuz we get better motherboards now or z68 is flawd?

Oh okay m not buying a new one. my bro bought that sometime back he is bringing it here as he is not using it, may i know if u said that cuz we get better motherboards now or z68 is flawd?

No stick to the Z68, as your brother is already bringing a complete PC no need to spend more money on fixing what aint broken. The Z77 will be a dead-weight expense as you aren't over-clocking and you haven't shown inclination towards that have you?

I think @cyberwarfare does not know that you are getting a fully functional PC ad hoc and the graphics card was your personal add-on. So stick to the Z68motherboard I reiterate, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^oops sorry my bad. i should have read the full thread. i thought he was getting you parts for a new pc and not a complete pc. yes in that case i agree with alpha. let things be the way they are.

sorry OP :)

He has 8GB samsung RAM im planning to sell it and buy 1. G.SKILL RIPJAWSX1600 or 2.Corshair Vengeance , can anyone tell me which is better? moreover, this mobo link states " Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC) DRAM, 32GB Max " l.. what does that * stand for next to 1600? Can i buy 1600 or it will go down to 1333?

As mentioned by cyber the * stands for over-clocked support, this because the Sandy-Bridge chipsts and processors [with onboard memory controller] the actual Intel reference point was RAM clocked 1333MHz @1.5v. As time passed with maturing fabrication processes the RAM companies were able to clock RAM modules 1600MHz @1.5v this turned out to be a boon as --
  • RAM got progressively cheaper, now a 4GB module can be bought for as low ~1100/-.
  • over-clockers could get more out of their RAM modules by pushing the voltage up further ~1.5v headroom was created thanks to this [as 1600MHz run at the default ~1.5v rather than the upper limit specified by Intel that is ~1.65v].
  • the integrated memory controller on Sandy-Bridge has been matured to the point that getting RAM faster than 1600MHz will not yield a great leap in performance. Basically after ~1600MHz is reached Sandy-Bridge is operating at the best performance / value.

By default the RAM will run at ~1333MHz or thereabouts. But if you are willing to tinker, then the possibilities are limitless and you should invest in a decent 1600MHz kit along the lines of the --
  1. G.Skill RIPJAWS RIPJAWS 1600MHz modules,
  2. Corsair XMS3 1600MHz modules.

Here are reviews explaining why 1600MHz RAM is the best buy for a Sandy-Bridge RIG from AnandTech and Xbit Labs.

Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.

A faster CPU will be far more useful than more memory performance for most applications. Outside of chasing ORB chart placement, memory is one of the components least likely to play a significant role in performance.

We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by over-clocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.

If you are going to over-clock then definitely go for the 1600MHz modules, but if you are unsure stick to the Samsung modules your brother will bring.

Hope this clears your dilemma, Cheerio!!

Thanks a lot guys , i just got home the 7850, z68 (Military class2), i7 and the RAM a day back, GOD im waiting to build it and rip it..... mostly ill go with my existing cabinet (CM330 + Huntkey 550WPSU and my 1TB HD).... i dont have time now, ill build it after 3 weeks cuz of exam n functions n all... ill post a pic once im done . Thanks a lot for ur support @ Techenclave ppl...

Back