Buying a 22"/24" HDTV: Suggestions please?

Hello people.

I live in Mumbai, India and am buying a TV. The size of my place (and where the TV will be kept) is such that I can only get a 22" or a 24" model. Moreover, since I live alone and am a student right now, I don't feel like going any further either. The viewing distance will be less than 10 feet, easily.

Now, my usage for the TV will be as follows: I'll get an HD DTH connection and spend quite some time watching that. I'll plug my laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable and see HD movies and TV shows, along with playing games. I don't have anything else, like a gaming console.

Now, could you suggest some models which I can get in my area? I have no qualms with ordering online either. If not a specific model, could you help clear a few doubts for me?

1. Should I go for LED or will LCD suffice? With my viewing distance, model's size and viewing requirements, which one would you suggest?
2. Should I insist on Full HD or will 720p devices suffice? Again, given my viewing distance and model's size. My laptop's screen is FHD though, so I do have some FHD stuff with me.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

IMO, go with LED and rather than getting a TV, go with a LED monitor. It will be cheaper and just ensure that both your HD DTH and the LED monitor have HDMI support. As far as the speaker goes, the monitor will have a headphone out which you can connect to some decent speakers, for some decent sound as well. However, do check that up.

Yes , by using polarised Glasses instead of shutter glasses. Polarised glasses produce a full colour image instead of anaglyph images which make watching 3D much more comfortable.

Hello people.

Thanks for the suggestions. No, I can't go and buy a monitor. It just wouldn't be practical for me, and buying separate speakers for it is something completely out of the question. I'm going to stick to buying a TV.

So it seems as if I should go with an LED variant. I used Flipkart and after selecting a few traits unique to my situation, I reached this list of 7 models - TVs Price List India: TVs & Video Players: Flipkart.com

Of those 7, I am leaning towards this one from Samsung - Flipkart: Samsung 22 Inches Full HD LED UA22D5003BR: Television or the Philips one (Flipkart: Philips 22 Inches Full HD LED 22PFL4556: Television). I know the former is a bigger brand but how exactly is Philips? It is 1K cheaper, has 2 HDMI ports and seems to match the Samsung for features - atleast, to my noob eyes it does.

Would have loved a Bravia but it's too expensive. When I have LG and Samsung I wouldn't want to consider Onida. I ruled out the LG because it's not Full HD. Not considering the other Samsung because again, it's to the higher end of the price spectrum.

Which model would you guys recommend? Has my reasoning been sound so far? Am I right with insisting on a Full HD model even at this size? (Bear in mind my viewing distance will not be more than 10 feet.)

Back