Laptops Buying a laptop...budget 40k!

pspgamer

Disciple
Aug 4, 2009
hey guyz!
buying a laptop for the first time..so need help...
want a laptop for basic presentation(microsoft office)....and movies music n general stuff.....i wld prefer games too...but i play them on my pc/psp....and all this in the price range of 35-40k!

i think that the dell inspiron 15 is a good laptop for me....i wanna know more bout that laptop..like whether its customizable....and regarding the price discount(wanna know whether there are service centers in pune)...where to get dell from and stuff....

feel free to suggest other lappy's in that range!

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.
Think hard what u wanna do with the laptop, then decide budget lol, dont decide budget first! Even Vostros wud be good for what u wanna use it for.

Dec 24, 2007
Bangalore
if you want to game, i would recommend taking a look at studio as it will come with a dedicated graphics card which is defintely going to be better than the intel onboard on inspirons. though studio is definetely going to exceed ur budget by atleast 10%. if not than inspiron will be more than enough for you :)

dell does not have walkin service center, but has on call engineer who will come to your home and fix the issues.

there are cheaper options from zenith or acer.

Raider123

Disciple
Mar 22, 2009
As you are not going to game in Laptop, the best bet for you is Inspiron 14. But it has no HDMI output. If you need HDMI then Acer 4736/5738 is available in your price range.

gauSs

Disciple
Mar 9, 2009
The Acer Aspire 5738G is a good choice. My room mate picked up one for 40,588. It comes with the nVidia G105M-512MB graphics, 15.6", 4 GB RAM, full size keyboard with a number pad, memory card reader, bluetooth, Wifi, etc.. Build quality and features are pretty decent for the price. Lenovo (Idea pad Y550) offers exactly the same config for 51k.

Acer has another laptop without the graphics card - Aspire Timeline 5810T. It comes with 4GB RAM, 15.6", no graphics card, onboard INtel 4500MHD graphics. The build quality is pretty good in this one. All aluminium body. Very sleek. Battery life claimed to be 8hours. Should give you 6 hours at least. Price - 35000 including taxes.

Dell seems to have become very expensive. But the quality is unsurpassed. I bought a XPS 1530 last year and it's performing great. The same model has become like 8k to 10k dearer now.

You can also look at Benq Joybook. They perform well for lesser price as well.

pspgamer

Disciple
Aug 4, 2009
and btw will the onboard intel support games like assassins creed,crysis,nfs undercover,etc in the low/medium settings???

and about acer....dont like its build quality....!

I have also read about the dell inspiron being customizable(like you can add a graphx card n stuff).....can anyone confirm that?

many of u guyz are recommending inspiron 14 but its got a dual core processor(T4200) and the inspiron 15's got a core 2 duo(T6500)...is there any major diff in the 2???cause the price diff is like 7k!

pspgamer

Disciple
Aug 4, 2009
hey guyz i just customized a dell inspiron 14...added the T6500 processor...and the ATI radeon 4330.....and its coming to Rs.37,455....then i added an ati radeon 4330 on the inspiron 15 model...and its costing Rs.39418...which do u recommend???

and if i need to customize is it necessary to buy that online....??/could we get that done in croma or any store?

gauSs

Disciple
Mar 9, 2009
- Dual core and Core 2 Duo processor: difference in performance is considerable and processor is one thing you cannot upgrade later.

- The Rs. 39418, is it with taxes and delivery charges or without it?
- You might be able to get the customised version in Croma. You need to check but the chances are less. Better get it form some other retailer maybe someone on TE.

- Build quality in Acer was a concern but the new lineup seems to be pretty good. The one my friend bought is great actually.

- You can check out the specs of the onboard Intel graphics chip on the Intel site. Just match the model number. PLaying games on that will most probably not be satisfactory. They are mostly for watching movies and running Vista.

Raider123

Disciple
Mar 22, 2009
pspgamer said:
hey guyz i just customized a dell inspiron 14...added the T6500 processor...and the ATI radeon 4330.....and its coming to Rs.37,455....then i added an ati radeon 4330 on the inspiron 15 model...and its costing Rs.39418...which do u recommend???

and if i need to customize is it necessary to buy that online....??/could we get that done in croma or any store?

BTW Inspiron 14 and 15 the difference is only the screen size and weight....decide on the one you want...It is always better to buy directly from dell.

paddydevil

Adept
Dec 16, 2008
go for dell studio 15 for 41k..
btw i dont think it is gonna make any difference based on u use whether u buy c2d or dual core.
it is useful only if u intend to use it for graphic intensive things like games.