Storage Solutions Buying a used SSD: Samsung Pro 840, 256GB.

avi

Skilled
I am getting an used Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Model num: MZ-7PD256BW), an year used from someone I know. It's barely used and he is expecting 8K. I find it its a good deal, what do you guys say?

Problem is he bought it from Snapdeal and lost physical bill. Seller found the bill. So I guess there should be no issues with warranty.

This is the snapdeal link and on flipkart. this model comes with 5 years warranty, not 10. So I should get warranty till October 2018.

A new Samsung EVO costs about same and comes with 3 years warranty. However, afaik, Pro > Evo, I find this good deal.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am getting an used Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Model num: MZ-7PD256BW), an year used from someone I know. It's barely used and he is expecting 8K. I find it its a good deal, what do you guys say?

Problem is he bought it from Snapdeal and lost physical bill.

This is the snapdeal link and on flipkart. this model comes with 5 years warranty, not 10. So I should get warranty till October 2018.

A new Samsung EVO costs about same and comes with 3 years warranty. However, afaik, Pro > Evo, I find this good deal.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
It is a good deal but since he lost the physical bill think twice before taking the plunge.I am not too sure but I think you can raise a warranty request on the basis of the manufacturing date on the packaging.This is mentioned on their website but I am not too sure about their Indian distributors.I bought a new 250 GB EVO for 8.1K in this month.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/warranty.html

It is a good deal but since he lost the physical bill think twice before taking the plunge.I am not too sure but I think you can raise a warranty request on the basis of the manufacturing date on the packaging
is there any place online I can check its warranty by serial number?

Okay, seller has the bill. I think I will go ahead with this deal :)

Last edited:
It's okay :)

so what do you say, now? 8k for 256GB?
I would still go with 128 GB for new SSD with 10 years warrantee if I want SSD for operating system and some games installed. I would not go with sheer size of it. If you are a gamer and want to install multiple games at the same time then you may consider the 256 GB Samsung Pro 850 for 12k. 10 years + added reliability is a lot of peace of mind.
8k is a good price for the deal you are getting anyway.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6714/samsung-850-pro-256gb-ssd-review/index.html

Last edited:
I would still go with 128 GB for new SSD with 10 years warrantee if I want SSD for operating system and some games installed. I would not go with sheer size of it. If you are a gamer and want to install multiple games at the same time then you may consider the 256 GB Samsung Pro 850 for 12k. 10 years + added reliability is a lot of peace of mind.
8k is a good price for the deal you are getting anyway.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6714/samsung-850-pro-256gb-ssd-review/index.html
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't have the budget to get 850 Pro and I was settling for Evo. I need 256GB cos I will be running multiple OS etc

Its a good deal.. and that is one awesome drive. :) more reliable than a wood burning stove ! :)
Ha ha! Thanks :)

128 GB is runs out of space so fast that you will tend to fill it beyond 75% which is not recommended. 840 Pro for that price is a good deal IMO.

I upgraded from 128 to 512 this year. 128 is way too small. Don't bother buying 128 unless its your primary machine. Also avoid the EVO. Buy any other MLC drive instead.

Thanks all guys. Just got the SSD. Here's the health report:

jSe7RYa.png

Back