Budget 51-70k Buying advice for a non gaming laptop that costs below 60k

I am a Btech CSE student . I need a laptop that would provide me with the necessary help and support for my studies. I am also a movie buff who would probably engage in watching movies in the laptop from time to time. So I need a laptop with pretty good display. (Not really looking for OLED since I have heard that it is not very durable and if damaged, the cost for repairing would also be high ). Based on my current financial status I won't be able to afford another laptop anytime soon so I need one to use for 4-5 years (and preferably more). I am also interested in DBMS,SQL,Data science, Computational linguistics, Machine learning and might try to explore those fields also so my laptop should be good enough to enable me to work and explore smoothly on those fields.I am not at all interested in gaming would probably not even try to game.
Budget:50-60k (at Max 62k)
Processor:Intel core i5 and above or AMD Ryzen 5 and above
Display: IPS panel
Weight: less than 2 kg
Graphics card:not necessary
Brands : Dell,HP, Lenovo,Asus
And also good build quality (preferably metallic)

The best would be Macbook in this category but not sure about the pricing.
I have no idea about laptops without GPUs. I have legion 5 (82k), the price to performance is really good but weight is 3.5kgs and not good for traveling.

Would recommend a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 , the build quality is excellent ( All alluminium) . Other options are samsung Galaxy Books ( They have weaker U series Processors) or Vivobooks ( Average Build Quality ) .

If you can extend your budget by 5-6k look for a Zenbook .

I have used Lenovo Ideapad for two years without any issues. The built quality of Lenovo is good. Since you prefer IPS panel, I recommend researching Lenovo's Thinkbook series and HP's Envy and Pavilion series laptop, as they may better suit your needs.

I suggest you to buy a laptop with good linux support

This is a good point , but @Informal Nomadic what do your classmates use? Linux/Windows WSL etc? Have you seen what laptops they have bought and sought their feedback?

Here's another one for you to look at -> https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/hp-pavilion-laptop-15-eh2047au-7k0l9pa.html - it should have proper linux support too.

Solid +1 to this too - I like HP because even with slim laptops they provide at least one full size USB-A port like this model - another small thing I like is the keyboard has an extra "row" of keys on the right side for HOME, END, PG-UP, PG-DOWN which is really convenient for programming and such.

Forgot to also add - another tiny thing but they have full size HDMI ports too - very nice for college/office use when you need to quickly hook up to a projector/external display :)

Last edited:
Lenovo Yoga Slim 6 14IAP8

This has one of the best LCD panels I've seen on a laptop, a 16:10 aspect ratio, 12 cores (4P+8E), solid metal build, dual Thunderbolt 4 ports and webcam quality is great with Windows Hello support. Only con is the non upgradeable RAM.

I got this for dad a while ago at 49k clubbing some card offers. Even if its 5-6k more, it's easily worth it.

Last edited:
Lenovo Yoga Slim 6 14IAP8

This has one of the best LCD panels I've seen on a laptop, a 16:10 aspect ratio, 12 cores (4P+8E), solid metal build, dual Thunderbolt 4 ports and webcam quality is great with Windows Hello support. Only con is the non upgradeable RAM.

I got this for dad a while ago at 49k clubbing some card offers. Even if its 5-6k more, it's easily worth it.
When you said 49k i opened the link to order it but it is still at 62k after discounts. @StygianClaw can you tell me how the speakers are on these? Can you listen to it clearly when you have the fan at full speed? I think OP will need good speakers also for watching movies.

When you said 49k i opened the link to order it but it is still at 62k after discounts.
That was when I had purchased a month ago. IIRC there was some 10k instant off on HDFC CC plus some other discounts which came to roughly 14k off.
@StygianClaw can you tell me how the speakers are on these?
Speakers are clear and decently loud. Definitely not as good as say MacBook Air speakers. Bass is very less as with a lot of laptops in this segment.
Can you listen to it clearly when you have the fan at full speed?
The fan does not come on often and is not very audible when it does. But then dad only uses it for office work.

We also have an Acer Swift 3 with the same processor but a QHD display. And the Lenovo seems to run quieter.

Last edited:
The fan does not come on often and is not very audible when it does. But then dad only uses it for office work.
Sorry, i was asking about the ceiling fan. Totally forgot laptop will have it's own fans, too. I could have asked you precisely. My bad.

I got my answer as you mentioned below. No problem. Thanks man!
Speakers are clear and decently loud. Definitely not as good as say MacBook Air speakers. Bass is very less as with a lot of laptops in this segment.

Do take a look at Mi notebook ultra.
Have been using it for 1.5 years now and i don't regret one bit.

Pros: amazing battery life
Amazing keyboard
Amazing display (3000x2000, 90hz)
Decent trackpad

Cons: Speaker's quality is average. Can be equalised to sound great, but volume is on the lower side

Has almost everything ur looking for.

Latest model is mi notebook Pro 120g.
120hz screen and similar specs
Laptop also has thunderbolt port
Great for productivity
I think it's 12 or 13th gen

OP clearly says he doesn't want a gaming laptop. Not sure why all these 5 gaming laptops are shared. I can understand buying a gaming laptop doesn't mean one should play game on it and one can still use it as a normal laptop(for preferred use case only). But it will compromise in other aspects like no metallic body.

Last edited:
Back