iOS Buying AT&T locked iphone 5s from US

Will this work 100% ?

• Total voters
How do you plan to pay for the contract?

I won't blame the OP here. Many people don't get the idea of contract and hence think that the $49 and $99 is what they can pay and get the latest iPhone and all.
I remember even aajtak carried a new long back (when iPhone 4 came or something) and apple said $200 for on contract iPhone and aaj tak carried a 30 minutes news piece saying iPhone 4 will cost 10K in India (when $ was 50).

I won't blame the OP here. Many people don't get the idea of contract and hence think that the $49 and $99 is what they can pay and get the latest iPhone and all.
I remember even aajtak carried a new long back (when iPhone 4 came or something) and apple said $200 for on contract iPhone and aaj tak carried a 30 minutes news piece saying iPhone 4 will cost 10K in India (when $ was 50).
Yep.
Even Reliance offered some plans where you could buy the phone for 0-10k depending on what plan you select.[DOUBLEPOST=1419504028][/DOUBLEPOST]I have a locked AT&T 5s 16GB Gold. Lemme know if you're interested.

Last edited:
So you think they're going to let you have the phone without making you pay the contract fees monthly or an early termination fee?

I am not going to use the phone in US but in India. Hence the unlocking to not pay any fees but only the unlocking fee . I have done this earlier for Lumia phones. But I am not sure about the iphones

I am not going to use the phone in US but in India. Hence the unlocking to not pay any fees but only the unlocking fee . I have done this earlier for Lumia phones. But I am not sure about the iphones
When you pay for the phone, they're going to ask for your USA Address and your Social Security Number. Also, they'll take billing info for the contract, not only the phone. I havn't heard anyone pull this off while being in India. If it works, do post how you did it.

I don't know what you have done with lumia before but if you are expecting to pay
$49.xx + unlocking fee + shipping to India + custom duty on phone

Then it is not going to happen.

I don't know what you have done with lumia before but if you are expecting to pay
$49.xx + unlocking fee + shipping to India + custom duty on phone

Then it is not going to happen.

Costs aside. I would like to know is it really the unlocking that is not 100% guaranteed is the problem or contract or something else ?

Costs aside. I would like to know is it really the unlocking that is not 100% guaranteed is the problem or contract or something else ?
Unlocking is out of question. Even if you can get it unlocked through eBay etc you are still bound to pay the contract for 2 years or pay early termination fee which will be several hundred dollars.
Also in order to even buy that phone on contract you need a social security number and no one in their right mind will ever give you.

Contract is the issue, unlocking is not.

Unlocking is out of question. Even if you can get it unlocked through eBay etc you are still bound to pay the contract for 2 years or pay early termination fee which will be several hundred dollars.
Also in order to even buy that phone on contract you need a social security number and no one in their right mind will ever give you.

Contract is the issue, unlocking is not.

Thanks. I got the answer now

How Much Does A Locked But Contract Free iPhone 5s Costs In U.S ?

Depends a lot on condition, age and such factors. Check ebay.com for the same. But i strongly suggest NOT to buy AT&T locked phones as their unlocking is not guaranteed and also they charge a bomb now for unlocking (ebay etc). Instead I suggest buy Verizon model as its GSM part is unlocked out of box and there is no unlocking needed. Good ESN / Bad ESN doesn't matter i suppose as well.

How Much Does A Locked But Contract Free iPhone 5s Costs In U.S ?
Sprint phones are cheap. Around 250$. Unlocking -100$.
AT&T
and T-Mobile around 300-350$. Unlocking -50$ for barred IMEIs and 2-3$ for clean.
These are prices for used phones. Customs and shipping extra.
Also, Bad ESN phones will be significantly cheaper than Good ESN ones.
Thanks. I got the answer now
I've been trying to explain the same thing for a long time. :p

Simply buy Verizon ones; used one 16GB costs in range of $320-340. If you search a lot you will get good deal in $320. No need of unlocking or anything. Just shipping and customs.

Sprint phones are cheap. Around 250$. Unlocking -100$.
AT&T
and T-Mobile around 300-350$. Unlocking -50$ for barred IMEIs and 2-3$ for clean.
These are prices for used phones. Customs and shipping extra.
Also, Bad ESN phones will be significantly cheaper than Good ESN ones.
I've been trying to explain the same thing for a long time. :p

Yeah I know :)

Yeah I know :)
If that method was possible, no one would go to ebay to buy an iPhone, or to the Apple store.
Secondly, AT&T and other Carriers would have had their offices closed.
The only ways to cheat out of the contract are to report the phone stolen or lost. (There are other complicated methods also.)
For all these, you have to be a USA citizen; or an immigrant with a SSN.
This is what the ebay sellers do to offer you a locked phone at 3-350.

Back