CPU/Mobo Buying CPUs and components off Amazon (USA) or Ebay (USA/China)?

theGloaming

Disciple
Does anyone have experience in buying components off Amazon (USA) or Ebay (USA/China/Hong Kong)?

I am looking to buy a CPU which, at the moment, I can only find abroad at the price point I am willing to pay. However, I do not know how to gauge the reliability of these sellers on Amazon USA and Ebay USA/China.

And I would appreciate insight on what this would mean for clearing customs in India? Can this be problematic, can they charge exorbitant rates, ... ?

Appreciate your thoughts and knowledge from experience.

Amazon (US) has an option to ship to India including customs and shipping. See how much it comes to. That's the safest way of getting it here.

There is a high probability you will be charged at least 30% of the Indian MRP as customs if you get it shipped via some other service. Wouldn't recommend going the import route unless the item isn't available here or the price difference is too much (75-100%)

Amazon (US) has an option to ship to India including customs and shipping. See how much it comes to. That's the safest way of getting it here.

There is a high probability you will be charged at least 30% of the Indian MRP as customs if you get it shipped via some other service. Wouldn't recommend going the import route unless the item isn't available here or the price difference is too much (75-100%)

Thanks - this does give me food for thought, and will help guide my buying decision.[DOUBLEPOST=1508152009][/DOUBLEPOST]
newegg is also an option in this regard where I have found the overall price to be a bit lower than amazon global store.

I didn't know that Newegg shipped to India, until I looked further now and did see an India store (albeit shipped from the US).
Nice! This opens up new possibilities...

Last edited:
I had bought intel processor and asrock motherboard from those fry’s combo deals.
Its still setving me well.
I have used intel rma in india for ssd bought in usa.
It does work.

Used electronics imports are banned. Your parcel will get confiscated.

I'm surprised about this, given that a few people I have spoken claim to have imported used electronics and paying customs duties (so everything above the table). I have not been able to find anything that states this is banned. Do you have some sources which I can reference to be double sure about what to do? Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1508307942][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had bought intel processor and asrock motherboard from those fry’s combo deals.
Its still setving me well.
I have used intel rma in india for ssd bought in usa.
It does work.

That is reassuring to know, especially that RMA for intel can work in India for products not bought here.

I'm surprised about this, given that a few people I have spoken claim to have imported used electronics and paying customs duties (so everything above the table). I have not been able to find anything that states this is banned. Do you have some sources which I can reference to be double sure about what to do? Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1508307942][/DOUBLEPOST]

http://indianexpress.com/article/bu...d-permission-to-import-second-hand-equipment/

Same laws apply to individuals as well. You can try your luck. Maybe it will go under the radar. However if you are caught, you are staring at the item getting confiscated and you being fined.

Back