Car & Bike Buying first bike: FZ 16, R15, Fazer, Pulsar 220 or Karizma ZMR?

Re: Buying first bike: FZ 16, R15, Fazer, Pulsar 22 0 or Karizma ZMR?

Arun1 said:
I love the FZs naked look but the R15 is better in almost every other respect, however because of the full faring I doubt if you will have the flexibility of the FZ in the city.
A modded naked R15 would be the best of both worlds, though I'm not sure how It'd look.Anybody have any concept arts to share?

Konquerror, The FZ would be the most suitable bike for you.
1. It is very nimble in city traffic.
2. Good low end torque means less gearshifts and revving in slow traffic
3. Light clutch
4. Comfortable riding position

The R15 is worth the premium, and dont judge it just by 150cc, it has the most contemporary tech of the lot of bikes. It is just that it is designed for out and out performance (esp on the track), so the power is more at higher revs/rpm. It has a very sporty riding position too( puts pressure on your arms and wrists). As for the allegation that r15 is low on power,

YouTube - India's Fastest Street Spec Yamaha R15 - HD Video

The RTR180 would be a good choice but the only negatives imho, is that TVS engines are not as refined as the Yamahas/Hondas and again RTR has a very aggressive riding position.

Another bike you can look at is Honda Unicorn Dazzler but the waiting period is long.

Re: Buying first bike: FZ 16, R15, Fazer, Pulsar 22 0 or Karizma ZMR?

iaudio said:
Konquerror, The FZ would be the most suitable bike for you.

1. It is very nimble in city traffic.

2. Good low end torque means less gearshifts and revving in slow traffic

3. Light clutch

4. Comfortable riding position

The R15 is worth the premium, and dont judge it just by 150cc, it has the most contemporary tech of the lot of bikes. It is just that it is designed for out and out performance (esp on the track), so the power is more at higher revs/rpm. It has a very sporty riding position too( puts pressure on your arms and wrists). As for the allegation that r15 is low on power,

YouTube - India's Fastest Street Spec Yamaha R15 - HD Video

The RTR180 would be a good choice but the only negatives imho, is that TVS engines are not as refined as the Yamahas/Hondas and again RTR has a very aggressive riding position.

Another bike you can look at is Honda Unicorn Dazzler but the waiting period is long.
Yes, I totally agree with you. infact FZ16 was the first bike I rode and I instantly fell in love with it...but people are saying Fazer has more comfortable riding position...I'm more inclined towards it...will do a test ride of Fazer and then decide...thanks a lot guys for your input :)

I love the FZs naked look but the R15 is better in almost every other respect, however because of the full faring I doubt if you will have the flexibility of the FZ in the city.

A modded naked R15 would be the best of both worlds, though I'm not sure how It'd look.Anybody have any concept arts to share?

i've seen that,when one of my frens fairings were destroyed in an accident,n what do i say,it look small as if it was a heavy cycle...lol

it look even smaller then rx100 without the fairings!

I wud say if its not a R15 then get a FZ-S...
But R15 sud be the first choice. Ride it to believe it (not test ride, but ride it for some 50-100km if u can)

many people say that r-15 is pain to use in city traffic. but if you know the sweet spot its lot of fun. actually due to its short wheelbase its highly flickable in the city traffic. trust me its lot of fun on r-15 if you know how to keep it in the powerband. btw, I am 5'10" and 90kg :ashamed:

and regarding the riding posture... its misconception again. I rode my bike for more than 18hrs straight for multiple times covering more than 750kms. never had any backpain that you wont get on other bikes. yeah most comfy would be zma but most fun would be r-15 on long rides.

Well I'm not in to long rides...will use it for city biking only...and well within 60km/hr...not more than that...people say riding position in R15 is not good for city ride...hence I decided to go for Yamaha Fazer...

iaudio said:
The Fazer has raised handlebar as well as slighly differently positioned footpegs(iirc), which supposedly makes it more comfy.

Yes true. On their website also they mention that this bike is for touring.

With its comfortable riding position and seat the rider can enjoy a week end getaway or head off on a touring holiday.

Loads of opinions, well I think I might pour in mine as well.

R15: Superb, if as already said and I reiterate if you know how to keep it in its power band, but the riding posture is demanding. Helluva looker in the racing stripes...

FZS/FZ 16: Perfect for city commuting, on the highway engine becomes noisy after 100. Has loads of Torque available from low rpm so overtaking and city driving is a breeze..

Fazer: aptly described as a Tourer. In the Yamaha stable this is the most comfortable bike to ride. Engine is Torquey but does get noisy once you reach triple figures, 90-95 is the sweet spot for this bike.

Pulsar 220: Power/Torque/Top Speed this bike has it all. The problem is Bajaj's Quality is still not at par with Yamaha/Honda. And yeah, it is heavy yes, but the problem is it feels heavy. Anyone who has drives a Busa will know what I mean. Doesn't inspire confidence when making tight turns.

Karizma ZMR: It is a cruiser, how hard may Hero Honda may try to give it a Sportsbikish look. Best for cruising on the highway, supremely comfortable. A very relaxed posture but not so comfortable in the city.

RTR 180: Flickable, rev happy engine. handles fab, the problem being TVS's quality and craftsmanship is still not as good as Yamaha/Honda.

CBR 250: The last I heard it was going to cost about 1.45 on Road in Delhi. If that's true it is a no-brainer.

My suggestion to you of the lot for 10 Km's per day would be FZS..

St.John said:
Loads of opinions, well I think I might pour in mine as well.

R15: Superb, if as already said and I reiterate if you know how to keep it in its power band, but the riding posture is demanding. Helluva looker in the racing stripes...

FZS/FZ 16: Perfect for city commuting, on the highway engine becomes noisy after 100. Has loads of Torque available from low rpm so overtaking and city driving is a breeze..

Fazer: aptly described as a Tourer. In the Yamaha stable this is the most comfortable bike to ride. Engine is Torquey but does get noisy once you reach triple figures, 90-95 is the sweet spot for this bike.

Pulsar 220: Power/Torque/Top Speed this bike has it all. The problem is Bajaj's Quality is still not at par with Yamaha/Honda. And yeah, it is heavy yes, but the problem is it feels heavy. Anyone who has drives a Busa will know what I mean. Doesn't inspire confidence when making tight turns.

Karizma ZMR: It is a cruiser, how hard may Hero Honda may try to give it a Sportsbikish look. Best for cruising on the highway, supremely comfortable. A very relaxed posture but not so comfortable in the city.

RTR 180: Flickable, rev happy engine. handles fab, the problem being TVS's quality and craftsmanship is still not as good as Yamaha/Honda.

CBR 250: The last I heard it was going to cost about 1.45 on Road in Delhi. If that's true it is a no-brainer.

My suggestion to you of the lot for 10 Km's per day would be FZS..
Thanks a lot for your detailed analysis...well I'm inclined to Fazer only because of it's riding posture...since engine is same in FS16, FZ-S and Fazer...I think performance would be almost same...

Konquerror said:
Thanks a lot for your detailed analysis...well I'm inclined to Fazer only because of it's riding posture...since engine is same in FS16, FZ-S and Fazer...I think performance would be almost same...

The same engine but tuned differently.. FZS/FZ 16 is tuned for torque at low rpm (essential for a city commuter) while Fazer is most comfortable when ridden at 5000 rpm...

Hmm...that's interesting...is the difference so profound? I have almost made my mind for Fazer and would it matter a lot if I get Fazer instead of FZ?

Where are you getting this information?

There are both same except for the faring.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

btw what happened to the ktm duke 125cc?

While picking up my r15 i sat on both fz and fazer.
Believe me they felt the same,handle bars and everything except that fairing.
The max power,torque nos are same @same rpm.
I dont think yamaha changed anything except the aerodynamically designed wind tunnel tested fairing and named it a tourer.
Id suggest fz/fz s.
These fixed front bikes are a pain in narrow bends.My right hand sided mirror been kissed by rickshaws and autos a couple of times.

Back