Buying iPhone from US: advice needed

4dh1r

Adept
Hi Fellows,

My friend is in US and I have an oppurtunity to get a iPhone from there. Me and my friend will ask him to bring 2 iPhones from US. I just went through the iPhone sticky thread here and got bowled over by the versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc and cracking methods and what not. I have got no clue which version should I order. :huh:

So, folks I need ur advice on:

1. Which version of iPhone to buy?
  2. Should I buy unlocked or bring here and unlock?
  3. What memory size should I go for (I want to go for max)?
  4. Is TurboSim required?
  5. Should I buy TurboSim from US or India?
Please don't give links to huge disussions on other forums, that'll make me more confused!!! :ashamed:

1. u dont have an option :p u ll get wartever version is being sold by apple currently ;) which ll b the latest one of course :)

2. unlocking shud be pretty easy with some online help ;) + there are a lot of ppl here to help u.

3. if u want max then why asking? go for teh max available ;)

dunno if u ll need turbosim or not :ashamed:

---> Buy any that you can get in Apple Store! Prefer 1.1.3

---> Bring here and Unlock using ZiPhone

---> 16GB is awesome

4. Is TurboSim required?

---> No.. Its not needed

5. Should I buy TurboSim from US or India?

---> No Turbosim reqd

I hope you got all the answers needed.

You can only buy an iPhone with a credit card , NO cash allowed, also you can buy max 3 iphones with 1 CC.

Can't buy in At&T stores , you need to buy thier sevice too which sucks cause at&t is slling refurbe'd 8gb iPhones for $200 ..I think but they're really cheap and they're brand new looking!!

size is totally upto you ...You dont need turbo sim ....You can unlock the iphone right there if you're on roaming or just for kicks ...all you need is ziphone and you're set!! :D

Don not tell them about unlocking or using it in India ..they might refuse to sell it to you :p

Thanks fellows for your inputs... Here's what I'll go for:

• I guess 1.1.4
    • I hope Ziphone works, I cannot access the site from my Office :ashamed:
    • 16GB here I come!!! :eek:hyeah:
  4. Is TurboSim required?
    • Nope, 1000 bucks saved!!! :clap:
Anything more to get it for the iPhone? I am buying a transparent plastic case with scratch guard from Amazon (I have some $10 coupons remaining in my account)

cyrux said:
Screen protector/scratch guard. You should get at the price of coupon you have.

Yep, already ordered these items from Amazon:

1. Apple Iphone PDA Premium Reusable LCD Screen Protector with Lint Cleaning Cloth
  2. CRYSTAL Clear Hard Skin Case W/ Swivel Belt Clip for Apple iPhone Cell Phone
  3. Apple Iphone Screen LCD Protector Film Guard Sold By Topdeals888 (for my friend's iPhone)

I got an iPhone 8GB as recently as 1 week ago through KMD. It was 113 OOB with serial number indicating last week of Feb 08. You can buy from Apple store and activate later online, at least that's what you should tell the Apple store people, and then get it to India and unlock, or get in touch with KMD.

salluks said:
u wont get 16gb iphone without the at&t connection, well u might as well go with htc touch..
raul said:
You can buy from Apple store and activate later online, at least that's what you should tell the Apple store people, and then get it to India and unlock, or get in touch with KMD.
Updates:
I ordered it from Apple's Store online. Paid using Indian Credit Card with my Mumbai billing address and got it delivered to my friends Hotel Room. It took less than 30 hours for the iPhone to ship from China factory to the Hotel... (Of course not considering the earth's rotation :bleh: )
Order Date: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:45 AM PDT
Shipped on: Mar 20, 2008 via FEDERAL EXPRESS
Here's the FedEx log:
Code:
Date/Time		Activity			Location
Mar 21, 2008
*	*9:01 AM	Delivered			SEATTLE, WA*
	*7:31 AM	On FedEx vehicle for delivery *	SEATTLE, WA*
	*7:13 AM	At local FedEx facility *	SEATTLE, WA*
	*5:28 AM	At dest sort facility *		SEATTLE, WA*
	*4:10 AM	Departed FedEx location *	INDIANAPOLIS, IN*
	*7:20 AM	Int'l shipment release *	INDIANAPOLIS, IN*
	*1:04 AM	Arrived at FedEx location *	INDIANAPOLIS, IN*
Mar 20, 2008
*	*3:11 PM	Departed FedEx location *	ANCHORAGE, AK*
	*1:34 PM	Arrived at FedEx location *	ANCHORAGE, AK*
	*7:50 PM	In transit *			SHENZHEN CN*
	*11:28 AM	Left origin *			SHENZHEN CN*
	*4:43 AM	Picked up *			SHENZHEN CN*
	*4:15 AM	Package data transmitted to FedEx *
My friend switched it on and got the Apple Logo, then the message "Activate iPhone Connect to iTunes" and below "Slide for Emergency".
He was confused when I told him to slide the bar, with a little explanation he was able to open up the dialing pad for emergency. I can say he was totally astonished with that sliding motion :eek:hyeah:
Now, he will return on 1st and along with him my iPhone :clap:

Code:
Product / Part No.    Qty   Unit Price   Ext. Price

IPHONE 16GB-USA        1    $499.00     $499.00
SubTotal:                               $499.00  

Tax:                                     $44.42 

Shipping Charge:                          $0.00 

[B]Total:                                  [/B][B]$543.42 [/B]
Charged to me on Indian CC :

APL*APPLEONLINESTOREUS Rs. 22845.90

Back