Graphic Cards Buying Maxwell from US

alien009

Recruit
As you guys know Nvidia Gtx 970's are selling around Rs.20-23k non-reference models in US. In India these cards costs about Rs.30k+ (Talking about Asus Strix Gtx 970).
Extra 10k for Custom duties, Government Taxes. !
One of my friend is coming from US next week. Should I tell him to buy Maxwell and bring it here ?
Before making the call few things are concerning me !
1) I am not going to get international warranty if I chose gigabyte g1 (LOVE) or Asus. Is paying extra 10k is worth for 1 year service !
2)What you guys think about EVGA ? do anyone having experience with them ?
2) Will he be required to pay any custom duties or taxes on the airport for bringing computer component ? (if the box is sealed or unsealed)

1) I think that's something only YOU can take a call on. :)

I read somewhere that Zotac usually offers a 5 year warranty (2 years + 3 years extended on registration) on their cards. Their entry level card in India is priced at Rs.27,500 (not in stock ATM). Of course that would depend on whether you consider Zotac a brand you would be content with.

2) Check the various EVGA models before you pick one as at least one version had users reporting rather loud fans under load.

3) AFAIK, open or sealed makes little difference provided hes within the baggage allowance limit in which case there will be no duties or taxes.

I actually felt that the Indian pricing was kind of decent this time around for the 970's.

Consider the Asus Strix Gtx 970 you mentioned. It currently retails on Amazon for $350.

If you add it to your cart and check shipping (India) + duties (India), you get a figure of $444 which is approx Rs.27,528. See below -
JZKEXYL.jpg

The same card is being offered here for Rs.30,679 including a local warranty.

Personally I think the difference of Rs.3,151/- as in the case of the Asus Strix Gtx 970 is well worth the peace of mind.

If you can get your friend to carry it for you, then you would save approx Rs.8,500 with the obvious downside that you would be on your own when it comes to Warranties/support which brings us back to point 1).

Last edited:
1) I think that's something only YOU can take a call on. :)

I read somewhere that Zotac usually offers a 5 year warranty (2 years + 3 years extended on registration) on their cards. Their entry level card in India is priced at Rs.27,500 (not in stock ATM). Of course that would depend on whether you consider Zotac a brand you would be content with & trust.

2) Check the various EVGA models before you pick one as at least one version had users reporting rather loud fans under load.

3) AFAIK, open or sealed makes little difference provided hes withing the baggage allowance limit in which case there will be no duties or taxes.

I actually felt that the India pricing was kind of decent this time around for the 970's.

If you take the card you mentioned, namely the Asus Strix Gtx 970, it retails on Amazon for $350.

If you add it to your cart and check shipping (India) + duties (India), you get a figure of $444 which is approx Rs.27,528. The same card is being offered here for Rs.30,679 including a local warranty.

Personally I think the difference of Rs.3,151/- is well worth the peace of mind...

Asus Strix is selling at 32k on Laminton Road. If my friend living in US buy it for 350 USD then it will be 21k in Indian Currency. As you are saying there will be no duties or taxes on baggage so difference of 10K is enough to buy it without getting warranty in India :p

I'm surprised to hear its so expensive on Lamington road considering. There's an article on IGN India that states the Indian price for the Asus Strix is Rs.28,040/- which is even LOWER than the earlier price of Rs.30,679 (on Prime) that I mentioned before -

http://in.ign.com/asus-strix-nvidia...view/asus-strix-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review

It could be that the difference between the two prices is taxes/local levies. Not sure as the IGN price only mentions it as the "retail price".

If the price they have mentioned is indeed the correct price including taxes then you're saving Rs.7000 by buying it from abroad and not 10k.

Entirely your call... :)

Last edited:
Entirely your call, but Id have bought from India. If it goes bust or is DOA - u'd have to buy a new one which would cost you another 30K. So total expense then is then 50K.
Do the math (10K extra now with no headache) or (headache + 20K extra when it goes bust)

Back